• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Silver or Golden Age Gem Should I Build A War Chest For?

109 posts in this topic

I can't possibly answer this question, because I don't know what your intention is. Are you buying something to keep? Something to sell quickly? Something to buy and hold for a long term investment? Something to have as a museum piece?

Answered in sequence. Yes. No. Yes. Yes.

EITHER the highest graded copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 OR the highest graded copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 you can find for five grand. (thumbs u

Edit! Here you go. This is a great buy. Take the remaining $800 and treat yourself to a couple of great bottles of wine.

I can't possibly answer this question, because I don't know what your intention is. Are you buying something to keep? Something to sell quickly? Something to buy and hold for a long term investment? Something to have as a museum piece?

EITHER the highest graded copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 OR the highest graded copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 you can find for five grand. (thumbs u

Edit! Here you go. This is a great buy. Take the remaining $800 and treat yourself to a couple of great bottles of wine.

^^

These would be the first two I would shoot for, then everything else I would get would supplement them.

What condition is your B&B #28 in? This will be the next DC key to jump. You can still grab a 7.0 - 7.5 copy of it in that price range.

.....with nowhere to go but up. The AF15 would be smart also....if you wait another 5 years it will cost 5K for a good plus. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

What condition is your B&B #28 in? This will be the next DC key to jump. You can still grab a 7.0 - 7.5 copy of it in that price range.

It's only a 1.8. Please don't send me a PM saying you've got a better one up for sale or this thread is rapidly becoming counterproductive to my war chest.

^^

These would be the first two I would shoot for, then everything else I would get would supplement them.

The votes for AF #15 are stacking up. I saw that TMNT. It's a beast.

Hulk #1 without question, and a really nice Sgt. Fury #1 should be considered also.

I just upgraded my Sgt. Fury to a 6.0 today so that is out of the running. The Hulk 1 is still in the race.

Well considering a 5.5 just sold on e-bay for $1026, i would say you did well buying this book as it clearly moving upwards at a quick pace. Last 5.5 as per GPA was $640 back in September, so looks like the Heritage 9.0 sale of $10k is filtering down the grades somewhat.

If you're sticking with SA Marvel, and you don't want whatever grade of AF 15 that your budget restricts you to, I second and third Hulk 1, with TOS 39 closely behind it. Or wait until after the Green Lantern movie sucks and get a Showcase 22. Or go for Showcase 34. That'll show everybody in this thread! (Although that might be an interesting book to pair with Tales to Astonish 27.)

Hulk #1 without question, and a really nice Sgt. Fury #1 should be considered also.

I just upgraded my Sgt. Fury to a 6.0 today so that is out of the running. The Hulk 1 is still in the race.

Well considering a 5.5 just sold on e-bay for $1026, i would say you did well buying this book as it clearly moving upwards at a quick pace. Last 5.5 as per GPA was $640 back in September, so looks like the Heritage 9.0 sale of $10k is filtering down the grades somewhat.

I was watching the 5.5 when a boardie sent me a scan and asking price. He also saw the 5.5 (after already giving me the price) and didn't back out staying true to his word. Quality individual!

If you're sticking with SA Marvel, and you don't want whatever grade of AF 15 that your budget restricts you to, I second and third Hulk 1, with TOS 39 closely behind it. Or wait until after the Green Lantern movie sucks and get a Showcase 22. Or go for Showcase 34. That'll show everybody in this thread! (Although that might be an interesting book to pair with Tales to Astonish 27.)

For SA Marvel AF is in first,Hulk and TOS 39 are closely following. I've got a Showcase #22 CGC 3.0 up for sale right now to build the war chest and avoid the movie hangover.

Personally I like the B&B #28. Still affordable for a major key. Amazing Man #22 is a book with a great cover and always loads of demand.

I wonder if we will hit the point on Silver-age keys where they can't go up anymore. This is always my worry with AF #15 and FF #1. It's not the rich guys buying the 2.0-4.0+ books. These books are pretty common and you would think at some point the guys buying the lower grade books will get priced out of the market.

I was watching the 5.5 when a boardie sent me a scan and asking price. He also saw the 5.5 (after already giving me the price) and didn't back out staying true to his word. Quality individual!

:golfclap:

Thanks to everyone for contributing and giving me some ideas. Also exposing me to the Golden Age. I suddenly have a higher level of appreciate for these books. Have a great week!

1) AF 15 (This was in my top 3 before this thread)

2) Showcase 4 (Still want this as The Flash was what got me into comics as a kid)

3) B&B 28 (Would like to upgrade my 1.8)

4) These are all tied for fourth:

Hulk 1

TOS 39

Action Comics 23

All Star 8

Batman 11

Detective Comics 168, 225

Superman 14, 53, 76

Captain America 46

Blue Beetle 54

Thanks to everyone for contributing and giving me some ideas. Also exposing me to the Golden Age. I suddenly have a higher level of appreciate for these books. Have a great week!

1) AF 15 (This was in my top 3 before this thread)

2) Showcase 4 (Still want this as The Flash was what got me into comics as a kid)

3) B&B 28 (Would like to upgrade my 1.8)

4) These are all tied for fourth:

Hulk 1

TOS 39

Action Comics 23

All Star 8

Batman 11

Detective Comics 168, 225

Superman 14, 53, 76

Captain America 46

Blue Beetle 54

Great list (thumbs u

in fact this is my list. lol