• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scarcest Centaurs?

142 posts in this topic

Here is my very first Centaur, which I've been told I am very, very lucky to have by my new best friend Blind Owl. Now, I know there is already at least one great Centaur thread out there, but what I would really appreciate is getting respected fellow boardies views on which Centaurs are the toughest to find, ideally with beauteous scans of same!

Now of course some wizened ol' party pooper like scrooge (hiya Michaël ol' buddy ol' pal (thumbs u ) will want to pop up and say, somewhat patronisingly, "But we did this twice already, 'bout 10 years ago!"

But you know what I say? Glad you asked, 'cos I say there is a secret vicarious thrill in posting our rarest treasures again and again at the least excuse! Nay, at the drop of a hat! At the turn of a screw! With the - ahem, well anyway -

So post away dear chums, while I busily take notes on the most challenging collecting - er - challenge known to simply anybody! gosh, I guess just anywhere!

fp35inmylar.jpg

[Now is that a neloquent way to lunch a new thred or wut?]

:whistle:

Quoted from CentaurMan. Other such nuggets abound on the boards ... The Search function is your friend ol' buddy :baiting:

That's a critical Centaur, v2#10, with the first appearance of The Arrow hidden in those pages. I liken it to Feature Comics #27, first Doll Man, which also has a nondescript funny cover, also has very few sales data points, and also sells for many multiples of guide when it comes available.

Here's my Funny Pages "Windex" ranking for scarcity (higher is tougher):

v1#6:....24

v1#7:....22

v1#8:....22

v1#9:....22

v1#10:..19

v1#11:..19

v2#1:....15

v2#2:....19

v2#3:....19

v2#4:....15

v2#5:....17

v2#6:....15

v2#7:....18

v2#8:....16

v2#9:....18

v2#10:..25

v2#11:..16

v2#12:..24

v3#1:....20

v3#2:....20

v3#3:....27

v3#4:....27

v3#5:....27

v3#6:....24

v3#7:....23

v3#8:....18

v3#9:....23

v3#10:..26

v4#1:....18

35:........19

36:........21

37:........21

38:........23

39:........24

40:........26

41:........24

42:........25

Keep in mind that with books this scarce, it's much tougher to assemble an accurate gauge of scarcity, but I think this is at least directionally correct. Also keep in mind that the single toughest issue of Sub-Mariner scored a 21, which gives you an idea of how tricky even a basic issue of Funny Pages can be.

For perspective, other books scoring a 27 on my system include All-American #3, #7, and #10, Amazing-Man #26, Amazing Mystery Funnies #23, and Fantastic Comics #19.

For more perspective, I consider ratings of 12-14 as pretty tough, and 15-18 as challenging. Books scoring a 15 on my system include Action #1 and Detective #27. All-American #16 is a 16, and Adventure #40 is a 17. Detective Comics #1 is a 19, while Action #7 is a 20. The infamous Fantastic Comics #3 is a 24.

Batman #1 is a 9, and All-Flash #1 is an 8.

Here is my very first Centaur, which I've been told I am very, very lucky to have by my new best friend Blind Owl. Now, I know there is already at least one great Centaur thread out there, but what I would really appreciate is getting respected fellow boardies views on which Centaurs are the toughest to find, ideally with beauteous scans of same!

Now of course some wizened ol' party pooper like scrooge (hiya Michaël ol' buddy ol' pal (thumbs u ) will want to pop up and say, somewhat patronisingly, "But we did this twice already, 'bout 10 years ago!"

But you know what I say? Glad you asked, 'cos I say there is a secret vicarious thrill in posting our rarest treasures again and again at the least excuse! Nay, at the drop of a hat! At the turn of a screw! With the - ahem, well anyway -

So post away dear chums, while I busily take notes on the most challenging collecting - er - challenge known to simply anybody! gosh, I guess just anywhere!

fp35inmylar.jpg

[Now is that a neloquent way to lunch a new thred or wut?]

Eloquent for sure. I just keep posting stuff and new stuff and old until the keys fall off my keyboard and my scanner goes dead.

4276046313_2da9936626_z.jpg

For some reason I really had to have this one. Could be better condition but glad I found one.

Well, Amazing-Man 26 leaps to mind, but this book rivals it I think:

AMF14.jpg

Incredible book that's just near impossible to find. Such an unusual cover as well.

AMF 1.2 (though Metro had the Church copy up for sale for awhile I think) and 2.4 seem really, really hard to find as well. Shame, as I would love to own a 2.4 at some point. Great Sandhogs cover on that one.

"AMF 1.2 (though Metro had the Church copy up for sale for awhile I think"

AMF2MH.jpg

when I was putting this run together, I only found this issue at metro (this very same MH copy)... since then, I have seen maybe 3 others for sale...

aman 26 is the toughest... amf1/4 is very tough too... kdf 1/10 is rare rare...all 3 I was ever only able to own coverless copies too...

I have seen all the amf 2 up for sale multiple times, so none are super "tough" but most are rare...

Funny pages 35 is actually the easiest (I owned 4 copies at one time once) of the 35-42, with 40 and 41 being the toughest, imo

FP 2/10 (first arrow) not really tough (owned multiple copies and seen multiple)... aman 22 not really tough (again, owned 4 copies at once, at one time a few years ago)... but seems ALL of the cool ones rarely get sold, so they seem rarely offered for sale (thumbs u

Great book!

Are all of the early Church AMF issues "double slash" books that denote a second-hand buy by him?

I'm not an expert but in general I would say "yes", as I believe Mr. Church, had to go backwards to find books in the 1936 - 37 or so years???

B

Are all of the early Church AMF issues "double slash" books that denote a second-hand buy by him?
That's the best guess.

"AMF 1.2 (though Metro had the Church copy up for sale for awhile I think"

AMF2MH.jpg

when I was putting this run together, I only found this issue at metro (this very same MH copy)... since then, I have seen maybe 3 others for sale...

Since buying this from GAtor, I have owned an additional VG copy, which have since sold to Mr. Prehero, (worship) (who buy the way, has some unreal Centaurs, if he wish to share).

I have heard of one other collector who has the other highest graded copy FVF, somewhere in the midwest, via Steve Centaur,

B

amf2-7.jpg

Almost bought a copy today, still hm about it.

It really isn't one of the scarcest Centaurs but it is very hard to find a high grade unrestored copy.