• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&item=270738579507

looks like someone really wants an action 1 page, its alread at $1k+ with a few days left

Amazing! It's not even a wrap, just a single non-superman page. Brittle at that

Personally , something like this is not for me. The buyer in the end might regret spending that kind of money for a page like this.

+1.. Maybe, just maybe a Superman page would be worth it for me, but I'd have to think hard about it

I posted this on the original art thread, but I know many of you do not go into that forum.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

3 years to complete this piece!

As a Golden Age comic collector, I had the idea of having Budd Root, a modern artist whom I feel is an amazing artist, recreate the cover to Action Comics #1.

This is the 1st commission I have ever asked any artist to do. I asked Budd to keep the composition the same as Action #1, but replace Superman with Cavewoman (Meriem). Instead of a cape like superman has, have her hair flowing backwards. I asked for the green car to be smashing a T-Rex on the head instead of on the rocks like Action #1. Finally, I asked for velociraptors to be scattering on the cover instead of humans. Well, I think Budd outdid himself and delivered an amazing piece. I asked for this piece in 2008 and it was delivered in 2011, a 3 year wait.

I am so glad Kevin & Budd came through with this piece for me. All the detail work budd put into this piece really shows due to its 19"X24" size. Thanks again Budd!

NOT WORK SAFE!

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=756458&GSub=91829

I posted this on the original art thread, but I know many of you do not go into that forum.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

As a Golden Age comic collector, I had the idea of having Budd Root, a modern artist whom I feel is an amazing artist, recreate the cover to Action Comics #1.

This is the 1st commission I have ever asked any artist to do. I asked Budd to keep the composition the same as Action #1, but replace Superman with Cavewoman (Meriem). Instead of a cape like superman has, have her hair flowing backwards. I asked for the green car to be smashing a T-Rex on the head instead of on the rocks like Action #1. Finally, I asked for velociraptors to be scattering on the cover instead of humans. Well, I think Budd outdid himself and delivered an amazing piece. I asked for this piece in 2008 and it was delivered in 2011, a 3 year wait.

I am so glad Kevin & Budd came through with this piece for me. All the detail work budd put into this piece really shows due to its 19"X24" size. Thanks again Budd!

NOT WORK SAFE!

Awesome West :applause: One subtle touch that is particularly cool is the homage to S&S on the side of the car.

Is Budd related to Rory?

NOT WORK SAFE!

Awesome West :applause: One subtle touch that is particularly cool is the homage to S&S on the side of the car.

Is Budd related to Rory?

Not sure (shrug)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Action-Comics-1-first-issue-Superman-/150600443477?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23107c6655#ht_500wt_922

lol not only is this the typical I don't know about comics description, but check out the pic. Looks like he used paint to cover up what was on the sides.

I'm the highest bidder! :whee: Hope I win it below his asking price of $30k :wishluck:

Action 1 cgc 8.0 mod. Plod up for grabs at Heritage.

Thats a remarkable book. No :blahblah: on this book yet ?

Thoughts ... currently 180K :o

I was expecting the book to go in the 100-120K range... I was high bidder at 89K before the reserve kicked in and currently there is no bidder willing to step up at the reserve price...at this point, I suspect the lot will pass, as 180K is way high (IMO) and I don't know anyone that is paying that for it (though of course, I don't know everyone lol )...

that said, maybe someone will step up and bid, but as of now, I wish it had of been a no reserve auction so that we could truly determine value...c'est la vie

rick

A similar plod 6.5 went just moons ago for 150K. This one is three grade ticks above the courtcopy!!

I suspect this copy to be the one offered by Heritage a year ago under the 'buy now from owner' program. It sat "unsold" with a 200K BIN .... After the courcopy sale it "disappeared" and was no longer available (thumbs

Edited by Mr. 10%

http://cgi.ebay.com/Action-Comics-1-first-issue-Superman-/150600443477?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23107c6655#ht_500wt_922

lol not only is this the typical I don't know about comics description, but check out the pic. Looks like he used paint to cover up what was on the sides.

I'm the highest bidder! :whee: Hope I win it below his asking price of $30k :wishluck:

Hey ill split it with you. So you get the book mon- thurs and ill get it fri-sun

I was expecting the book to go in the 100-120K range... I was high bidder at 89K before the reserve kicked in and currently there is no bidder willing to step up at the reserve price...at this point, I suspect the lot will pass, as 180K is way high (IMO) and I don't know anyone that is paying that for it (though of course, I don't know everyone lol )...

that said, maybe someone will step up and bid, but as of now, I wish it had of been a no reserve auction so that we could truly determine value...c'est la vie

rick

THIS BEING A MODERATE 8.0 INDICATES THAT IT COULD HAVE BEEN A 3.5/4.0ish book before restoe.

edit: didnt see the caps lock was on ... :blush:

As such this book could be :blahblah:'ed up

or

:blahblah:'ed down

;)

Edited by Mr. 10%

rick

THIS BEING A MODERATE 8.0 INDICATES THAT IT COULD HAVE BEEN A 3.5/4.0ish book before restoe.

or

;)

your logic is sound, to a degree...unfortunately, the comic book marketplace does not view restored books as logic would dictate...once "restored" it is forever "ruined" to the previous grade (so long as resto can't be reversed)...this of course, was not always the case, but has been for the past 10+ years and I see no signs of that trend reversing anytime soon (ie post cgc years)

so, it should fall in line with restored prices paid for the book, which, is in the 100-120K range (max, imo)...

and there are several high grade restored action 1's on the market as we speak, so another diluting factor :sorry:

rick

or

;)

your logic is sound, to a degree...unfortunately, the comic book marketplace does not view restored books as logic would dictate...once "restored" it is forever "ruined" to the previous grade (so long as resto can't be reversed)...this of course, was not always the case, but has been for the past 10+ years and I see no signs of that trend reversing anytime soon (ie post cgc years)

so, it should fall in line with restored prices paid for the book, which, is in the 100-120K range (max, imo)...

and there are several high grade restored action 1's on the market as we speak, so another diluting factor :sorry:

How would you estimate the current "possibilities" for a similar (i.e. HG plod) Tec27? we havent seen any of those for a while now ...

rick

or

;)

How would you estimate the current "possibilities" for a similar (i.e. HG plod) Tec27? we havent seen any of those for a while now ...

they tend to sell a bit less...

we have sold the restored cgc 8.5, the 9.2 years ago , and we currently have a 7.0 mod rest...I would imagine that rest tec27 lag just a bit behind action 1, as unrestored copies do... but there does seem to be less HG rest tec 27's in the market , I concur with you

well, I was willing to goto 120K on the bound volume, but someone outbid me by one increment live at 110K + BP (130ish)...congrats...for those that were spouting 175-250K, you should listen to me lol

also knew there would be zero interest in the restored action 1 8.0 at anything north of 100K...c'est la vie, I would have paid 100K for it