• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

at the heart of this hobby or any hobby is PROFIT and COMPETITION....so your wish for complete transparency on everything isn't something that fit anything with those 2 components.

people (dealers and collectors) talking up a book so get a better prices when they want to sell? I am sure that NEVER HAPPENED...NOT!

people (dealers and collectors) bashing a book to keep competitions away so they can buy it cheap?I am sure that NEVER HAPPENED...NOT!

all that being said...spent some money with Matt and Zeman and I am sure you get a little more "insight" on PLOD.

well a dealer is not gonna receal his trade secrets; anyone on here long enough will realize it

Quite true. No dealer will EVER receal nothing. :sumo:

iphone typing error doh!

anyways when buying/speding big on a car you don't ask advice from the car dealer; big watch-don't ask advice from the watch salemans.... same applies to the boards here; especially if its someone that has a book he or she wants to sell or buy

Just to bad that all the were selling the ordinary Joe-Schmoe doesnt hold up: for instance that 'the boards are for entertainment as well as education', etc, etc.

This is void in light of the fact that "center" knowledge (about developmental trends regarding plods, keybooks, prices etc) circulates in rather tightly controlled closed networks. That is as PM-loops for selectees and the guys (i.e. dealers) 'in the know'.

The "open" threads on the boards are then reserved for Joe Sixpack.

In the open threads the saying just goes like: "Buy it! - great price, thats a steal, restoreds are deathrow = stay away, etc. etc. So we got two boards in one: the PM /dealer closed board and the open Joe Scmoe Board with all the clichees and 'Just Buy it' frases about 'that book has definitely dobbelt in price' (thumbs u

(That said from me who is a joe :()

I'm not sure I follow everything you are trying to say in your post above. But I am reasonably sure that in the GA section, if someone asks for advice or information they will receive it.

Many of my long-time friends on this board, are actively dealing comic books for a living. Others, just to fuel the growth of their own collection. I've dabbled, to a certain degree in both segments. When I was a comic dealer, years ago, I had a full-time real job as well so I've never really depended on comics to feed the family so to speak, and I still sell comics, but just as a side venture to build my collection and make some additional money.

The group of close friends I have on here, for the most part, pre-date by many years the existence of these boards, and we don't keep information relegated to PM disucssions or hushed whispers.

I think the level of openness and information sharing is admirable here. Gator, Billy, Richard Evans, Steve Carey, Jon Berk, Moondog Gary, Todd Warren, Russ Moore, et al will always give open, honest advice about books when asked. As will I. Others like Bangzoom, BB Gun, Kenny, WalClark, Adam Strange, HepCat, etc will fill you to the brim with information about comic history whether you ask or not!

So, if I mis-read your post and that isn't what you were saying, forgive my long winded post. If I read it right, you may want to consider the above.

Bill

well a dealer is not gonna receal his trade secrets; anyone on here long enough will realize it

iphone typing error doh!

anyways when buying/speding big on a car you don't ask advice from the car dealer; big watch-don't ask advice from the watch salemans.... same applies to the boards here; especially if its someone that has a book he or she wants to sell or buy

Just to bad that all the were selling the ordinary Joe-Schmoe doesnt hold up: for instance that 'the boards are for entertainment as well as education', etc, etc.

This is void in light of the fact that "center" knowledge (about developmental trends regarding plods, keybooks, prices etc) circulates in rather tightly controlled closed networks. That is as PM-loops for selectees and the guys (i.e. dealers) 'in the know'.

In the open threads the saying just goes like: "Buy it! - great price, thats a steal, restoreds are deathrow = stay away, etc. etc. So we got two boards in one: the PM /dealer closed board and the open Joe Scmoe Board with all the clichees and 'Just Buy it' frases about 'that book has definitely dobbelt in price' (thumbs u

I'm not sure I follow everything you are trying to say in your post above. But I am reasonably sure that in the GA section, if someone asks for advice or information they will receive it.

Many of my long-time friends on this board, are actively dealing comic books for a living. Others, just to fuel the growth of their own collection. I've dabbled, to a certain degree in both segments. When I was a comic dealer, years ago, I had a full-time real job as well so I've never really depended on comics to feed the family so to speak, and I still sell comics, but just as a side venture to build my collection and make some additional money.

The group of close friends I have on here, for the most part, pre-date by many years the existence of these boards, and we don't keep information relegated to PM disucssions or hushed whispers.

I think the level of openness and information sharing is admirable here. Gator, Billy, Richard Evans, Steve Carey, Jon Berk, Moondog Gary, Todd Warren, Russ Moore, et al will always give open, honest advice about books when asked. As will I. Others like Bangzoom, BB Gun, Kenny, WalClark, Adam Strange, HepCat, etc will fill you to the brim with information about comic history whether you ask or not!

So, if I mis-read your post and that isn't what you were saying, forgive my long winded post. If I read it right, you may want to consider the above.

Bill

Stop speaking in rhymes and codes; tell us what you really feel. :sumo:

Oh, and don't forget to mention Scrooge. He'll give you comic history whether you ask or not too. (thumbs u

iphone typing error doh!

Bill

I too was trying to follow the train of thought, and was getting a bit confused and honestly "uncomfortable" with where that train of thought seemed to be going, and then you posted Bill.

I'm still not sure what is trying to be said, but I have gone from knowing next to nothing about GA 5 years ago to progressively getting deeper and deeper into it and learning more and more ---- and it's been 100% due to the unselfishness of the good people here on these Boards, many of whom have vested interests in terms of profit-making in the very books they give advice about. I have also purchased huge books directly from otherwise complete strangers on these Boards and can tell you I have not lost one penny, and all info provided was above board, accurate, and beyond fair. I am more of an "observer" on the Boards now, as opposed to a regular contributer as I am pretty much set in all the major GA collecting that I set out to do 5 years ago, but I had still read and soak in as much as I can here on these Boards so I always have my finger on the pulse of what my books are "doing" at any given time in the market, and I trust these Boards to give me the best information available.

FISH

Fish, Ciorac!

Thanks for your honest answers! I appreciate it.

If you are right (and why to a certain extent shouldnt you?) then I am fine and OK.

I find your posting generally quite relevant and interesting.

But anyway a little 'critiqal' debate is never in vain is it?: because you voice a critique that doesnt necessarily mean that you live en a cardboard box under a bridge somwhere, does it? (thumbs u

Open discussion is always good, but sometimes things do tend to go down the rabbit hole. Nature of the beast.

One Big Name dealer was infamous for selectively trolling the discussion Board, looking at it as just one big marketing opportunity to exploit. Thankfully, I don't see him (them) posting much anymore.

As ciorac relates, some of the very best people I know populate these Boards - I trust their opinions and I trust them with my money.

But not everyone plays by the same rules, so we're back to open discussion being good. :)

Edited by sacentaur

If there is anything you want to know please send me a PM.

But please don't tell anybody :whistle:

:gossip: Don't you want to run this by the inner sanctum first?

One Big Name dealer was infamous for selectively trolling the discussion Board, looking at it as just one big marketing opportunityto exploit. Thankfully, I don't see him (them) posting much anymore.

The old school methods of holding info close as a way of trying to accumulate whatever passes for power in a hobby market is dying off. All of the excellent posters here -- and as was just posted there are many countless such people here in GA -- who share information have rightly gained respect and credibility as market authorities.

This is one of the things that will propel the hobby into the future. Even a few of the folks down in OA are going to buy into this eventually (though I've had a couple debates on this subject down there).

This is not to say that there is no such a thing as private info -- there definitely is. But being a credible and respected source of info has become more valuable than being the guy who has a secret.

:eek:

It may already be too late, I heard they've changed the secret handshake.

The shake is the same. We're just not using hands anymore.

The shake is the same. We're just not using hands anymore.

I don't remember voting in favor of this.

Richard is the nucleus of the inner sanctum :makepoint:

iphone typing error doh!

Bill

Oh, and don't forget to mention Scrooge. He'll give you comic history whether you ask or not too. (thumbs u

:doh: Jeebus, how could I not mention Scrooge??? I am really getting old and senile. The man is a veritable Mount Everest of comic knowledge

iphone typing error doh!

Bill

:doh: Jeebus, how could I not mention Scrooge??? I am really getting old and senile. The man is a veritable Mount Everest of comic knowledge

Thanks, Bill, but I'm certainly not worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as guys like BangZoom, BB, etc. And Scrooge...c'mon, somebody will say "Anybody know what comic has that guy on the cover doing something to somebody?" and Scrooge will have the answer posted within 30 seconds!

Now, getting back to the original topic, I don't think this one has been posted in this thread before:

action16.jpg

iphone typing error doh!

Bill

Thanks, Bill, but I'm certainly not worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as guys like BangZoom, BB, etc. And Scrooge...c'mon, somebody will say "Anybody know what comic has that guy on the cover doing something to somebody?" and Scrooge will have the answer posted within 30 seconds!

Now, getting back to the original topic, I don't think this one has been posted in this thread before:

action16.jpg

Fantastic book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any other boardies with Early Actions? (shrug)

Haven't seen many Action #2's, a book that I consider to be one of the most underrated issues of the Golden Age. :cloud9:

I love the cover of #2. Best non-Superman cover in the run. I think GAtor has a copy.