• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

I thought that the Cage copy was around an 8.0 as well...

I was just thinking because of the timing of the Cage copy's recent discovery and the fact (if I'm not mistaken, though I very well might be) that it wasn't stored in a temperature-controlled climate...that this might be the same book.

It certainly presents VERY well for a 4.5 with extremely vibrant color inks. :o

Either way, it's certainly one incredible book!

I don't think it is the Cage copy either, although if the book has been sitting in an unconditioned storage locker in the San Fernando Valley for the last 10 years and was damaged by the thief when he stole it or subsequently after that, it is not too much of a stretch to make the connection especially considering the timing. hm

Considering the type of edge defects this copy has and the lower page quality it has now, it not to much of a stretch to see this originally as a VF copy pre CGC, that has now been unfortunately reduced to a CGC 4.5 considering the possible storage conditions in the last 10 years. :P

From the link below:

http://www.vcstar.com/photos/2011/apr/10/124397/

Looks like the Cage copy is a bit more miscut and less wear. The new ComicConnect is amazing even with a lt PQ. :cloud9:

The book in the article is the 8.0 Kansas copy. So that is not Cage's copy.

Yep...good eye Tiger. (thumbs u

Considering the type of edge defects this copy has and the lower page quality it has now, it not to much of a stretch to see this originally as a VF copy pre CGC, that has now been unfortunately reduced to a CGC 4.5 considering the possible storage conditions in the last 10 years. :P

The article linked to in General Comics Forum quotes Fishler as saying the Cage copy was still in the original VF condition.

The article linked to in General Comics Forum quotes Fishler as saying the Cage copy was still in the original VF condition.

IMO there is no way the book is in the same condition now, compared to the same day it was stolen from Cage unless pigs are now flying.

From the link below:

http://www.vcstar.com/photos/2011/apr/10/124397/

Looks like the Cage copy is a bit more miscut and less wear. The new ComicConnect is amazing even with a lt PQ. :cloud9:

I believe that's a small scan of the Kansas City copy, not the actual Cage copy.

Since it was mention as a VF...at first glance. I would assume so by the image. Anyone has the actual image of the Cage copy?

Anyone has the actual image of the Cage copy?

Yeah, see above. When I saw that had already been mentioned, I edited my post to show the LAPD database copy.

I see that in the your general thread. (thumbs u I wonder what it might actually look like now and if there is a larger scan of that copy.

I see that in the your general thread. (thumbs u I wonder what it might actually look like now and if there is a larger scan of that copy.

Yeah, I'd love to see. There's going to be a damn good story come out of this once the police investigation is said and done.

it not to much of a stretch to see this originally as a VF copy pre CGC

A further little stretch and you could imagine it a NM on the newsstand in '38.

I checked back to my "Wayne-Tec" database and came up with some pretty interesting information. hm

As of tonight (4/15/11), the CGC census only displays one copy of Action Comics #1 graded at a Universal 4.5, which led me to believe that Metro's copy is either a fresh submission or a re-holdered book.

Come to find out, the copy on the census is not the same copy that Metro currently has on their website. And if the recently re-discovered Cage copy is said to be in VF condition, I don't think that Metro's 4.5 is the same book (obviously).

However...Nicolas Cage did own a Universal 4.5 copy of Action Comics #1. :o

(Left: Current Metro copy, Right: noted to be "FROM THE COLLECTION OF NICOLAS CAGE).

Action1_2-1.jpg

So, what do we have?

Clearly the two 4.5 copies are not the same book; which would have to make Metro's 4.5 a fresh CGC submission (unless a higher-graded book could have been bumped down to a 4.5 through re-holdering; which I don't suspect to be the case).

And if the recently re-discovered Cage copy is in VF condition, it couldn't possibly be the same copy posted above to the right.

Does this mean that Cage owned multiple Action Comics #1's? (shrug)

Regardless, this new 4.5 looks to be an amazing book. When the census is updated to include this new 4.5, there will be only 11 Universal copies in the world ever graded a 4.5 or higher by CGC.

That's elite company, making Metro's 4.5 Action Comics #1 a monumental discovery within the grand scheme of things...considering the demand for Action #1's and how incredibly rare it is to see slabbed unrestored copies in this nice of shape. (worship)

it not to much of a stretch to see this originally as a VF copy pre CGC

A further little stretch and you could imagine it a NM on the newsstand in '38.

Actually that was my original thought, but I didn't post it because it was too obvious. :insane:

This is the wrong thread I know, but I also noticed they have a tec 27 5.5. :cloud9:

Just wait to for the right opportunity to come along to hype Fantastic Comics 3 to a frenzy point, and let's see how many of their 27 copies come to market. :insane: