• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just how much do you love old comics?

25 posts in this topic

I want to see how much you guys love your old comics. Do you love them better than a beautiful woman, a house, a car, your favorite music? Is there anything that you love more than your comics?

I love old comics because of their scarcity, history, artwork, story, and smell. I think they should come out with an old comic cologne!!!

I guess I love old comics more than anything except a beautiful woman. If I had my choice of a 9.4 Suspense 3 or Shannon Elizabeth, I would pick Shannon. I am a huge Prince and Beatles fan but I still like comics better.

I want to see how much you guys love your old comics. Do you love them better than a beautiful woman, a house, a car, your favorite music? Is there anything that you love more than your comics?

I love old comics because of their scarcity, history, artwork, story, and smell. I think they should come out with an old comic cologne!!!

I guess I love old comics more than anything except a beautiful woman. If I had my choice of a 9.4 Suspense 3 or Shannon Elizabeth, I would pick Shannon. I am a huge Prince and Beatles fan but I still like comics better.

I'd add social relevance and entertainment value.

I am in the process of selling virtually all of my "key" comics in order to fund a house...so, that pretty much sums that up...and, I am working on the house for a beautiful woman (my wife), so again, order is restored... however, I sold my Ferrari and my Vette's to buy comics, so I guess I like them better than cars (at my age, get me from point A to point B is all I am worried about...that, and living in Fl I need AC)

To paraphrase Cherry Valance in Red River " You know, there are only two things more beautiful than a mint golden age comic: a Swiss watch or a woman from anywhere. You ever had a good Swiss watch?"

I am in the process of selling virtually all of my "key" comics in order to fund a house...so, that pretty much sums that up...and, I am working on the house for a beautiful woman (my wife), so again, order is restored... however, I sold my Ferrari and my Vette's to buy comics, so I guess I like them better than cars (at my age, get me from point A to point B is all I am worried about...that, and living in Fl I need AC)

What's wrong with the current mansion you live in now? The pool house/game room/comic cave not big enough for you?

comics come after the family, friends, the houses, cars etc.

they come before any other miscellaneous collectible or stuff that I have.

I did just sell a book for $800 and bought my son a used snowmachine though...:sumo: he's only 11 so he's having a blast.

besides family which should be obviously more important for everyone, If I had to give up either golf, working out, or music I'd give away all my comics in a heart beat and never buy another one again. Comics are alot of fun but those to me are more important then the funny books.

What's wrong with the current mansion you live in now? The pool house/game room/comic cave not big enough for you?

trust me this is a huge step up if all works out... Don't want to jinx myself but hope to have a beach con soon!

I am of course reminded of what Richie is so fond of saying, "Can't I choose both?"

(shrug)

But wtf, I'll bite.

Family, house, and home aside(because they always come first.) Vintage comics have to be right up there with what I enjoy most out of all the things I own.

Like music, literature, or even cooking. Comics have the ability and depth to suit my given mood. There are times I go back and read issues that have personal meaning attached to them. Other times I find myself getting lost in a "never read by me yet" comic and marveling at how the writing, art and advertisements reflect the era. Or just staring at covers, soaking them in and breaking it down.

Sometimes I want horror,sometimes I want superheros,sometimes I want classic covers, others times goofy animals,and sometimes I just don't care.

I can get as much enjoyment from reading a dollar bin junker as I can a super key. Well, maybe not quite.

But if I had to choose based on what I see in my house? I love comics more then most anything I currently own.

I am of course reminded of what Richie is so fond of saying, "Can't I choose both?"

(shrug)

But wtf, I'll bite.

Family, house, and home aside(because they always come first.) Vintage comics have to be right up there with what I enjoy most out of all the things I own.

Like music, literature, or even cooking. Comics have the ability and depth to suit my given mood. There are times I go back and read issues that have personal meaning attached to them. Other times I find myself getting lost in a "never read by me yet" comic and marveling at how the writing, art and advertisements reflect the era. Or just staring at covers, soaking them in and breaking it down.

Sometimes I want horror,sometimes I want superheros,sometimes I want classic covers, others times goofy animals,and sometimes I just don't care.

I can get as much enjoyment from reading a dollar bin junker as I can a super key. Well, maybe not quite.

But if I had to choose based on what I see in my house? I love comics more then most anything I currently own.

(thumbs u

My comics are nothing compared to my family and friends but they are my most cherished 'things'.

I'm with you guys. Family and friends first.

Having said that, I love comics. They drive me absolutely bat**** crazy. Tied for playing basketball. I think the beautiful woman ekes it out by a hair though.

Love the smell, the weight of a nice GA fatty, the era they capture. Love 'em!

Good comments all around.

Personally, I like Joe Pesci's allegorical story in Lethal Weapon 3 about his pet Froggy; it somehow seems appropo here.

The moral to the story is that life may change, but the passion will remain even if one has to let it go for whatever reason to move on with life.

Love for comics is not less healthy than a love for anything or anyone else, it's just different.

Of course Janeane Garofalo's comment about loving pets in The Truth About Cats & Dogs might apply to comics as well. hm

Cheers,

David