• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee Thinks You Suck!

39 posts in this topic

The word 'genius' gets thrown around too often these days, but Stan Lee was/is a genius when it came to both product promotion and human connection.

I don't think a lot of what he did was a show -- he legitimately loves comics, fans, and the industry. That response doesn't surprise me at all given the little I know of him. There's a lot of authenticity in his public persona.

(thumbs u

Stan always made 'Stan's Soapbox' sound like he was talking to you.

Stan Lee is the reason I am still collecting also. I was 12 or 13 at one of the creation shows in NYC back in the day and was walking out. Stan Lee was just sitting on a chair in the corner taking a break. I recognized him but was scared to go over. I walked past and he called over to me and asked what I had in my bag. ( Thank GOD it was a stack of Spideys and some other stuff I don't remember). I pulled out the stack and he went thru them with me. Telling me about a few a them. He was very gracious and spent what felt to me like an hour ( probably 2 minutes ). He then signed a couple things for me and off I went . I walked on air for a month. Still a great memory.

Stan Lee is the reason I am still collecting also. I was 12 or 13 at one of the creation shows in NYC back in the day and was walking out. Stan Lee was just sitting on a chair in the corner taking a break. I recognized him but was scared to go over. I walked past and he called over to me and asked what I had in my bag. ( Thank GOD it was a stack of Spideys and some other stuff I don't remember). I pulled out the stack and he went thru them with me. Telling me about a few a them. He was very gracious and spent what felt to me like an hour ( probably 2 minutes ). He then signed a couple things for me and off I went . I walked on air for a month. Still a great memory.

That is why I continue to collect, great story!!

Great stories you guys! Stan is the reason I collect as well...really looking forward to meeting him this Sunday at Megacon here in Orlando, and I'm proud to say my 12-year old daughter is going with me and also very excited. I want to shake his hand and plan on getting a pic with the three of us... :cloud9:

Great stories you guys! Stan is the reason I collect as well...really looking forward to meeting him this Sunday at Megacon here in Orlando, and I'm proud to say my 12-year old daughter is going with me and also very excited. I want to shake his hand and plan on getting a pic with the three of us... :cloud9:

Us at the 2010NYCC...

IMG_1787.jpg

Us at the 2010NYCC...

IMG_1787.jpg

hm Which one is Stan??

Us at the 2010NYCC...

IMG_1787.jpg

did he small of pee and mothballs or old comics?

I'll keep my "co-creator" opinions to myself here, but what I will say, and will always say, is that NO ONE was a better pitch man for comic books than Stan Lee.

Stan Lee detractors would be well advised to remember that more than any other single individual it was Stan who created the Marvel Age of comics.

:cool:

Us at the 2010NYCC...

IMG_1787.jpg

hm Which one is Stan??

He's the one in the middle. Old people shrink as they get older, don'tcha know! Plus he shaved his mustache which makes for a youthful appearance to be sure.

In addition to a hand-written note from Steranko, I also got my drawings back, which he'd taken the time to correct...AND ink. It was a very gracious gesture which I've never forgotten...

Sweet-sassy! What, no pics to share? :wishluck:

Sadly...VERY sadly...no. Near as I can tell, it was all trashed by my mom with a bunch of my old grade school and middle school papers and drawings while I was in college and too caught up in Rock-and-Roll, chasing girls, and partying to even spare a thought for everything I ever loved as a kid. What a dope! Then my parents moved several times after that, so even if the drawings survived my late teens and early 20s, they certainly disappeared then. :sorry:

I do still have the poster-cover to "Steranko's History of Comics" vol. 1 which Steranko also autographed for me at the same time -- it was packed in with my comics, so it survived the purge.

Funny thing is, Steranko's inks over a 12 year old's pencils were probably worth something in the 70's. His OA was worth a pretty penny pretty early on.

I'm fairly certain that if the current Editor-in-chief of Marvel was Stan Lee, I'd still be buying Marvel Comics.

true enough, because an 88 year old guy would not have the patience/attention span for these 57 part cross-over events

I'm fairly certain that if the current Editor-in-chief of Marvel was Stan Lee, I'd still be buying Marvel Comics.

true enough, because an 88 year old guy would not have the patience/attention span for these 57 part cross-over events

(thumbs u

He is one of those people that makes me long for the old days. He is a cornerstone of the industry!

(thumbs u

As a 6 year old reading comics, I came to recognize Stan Lee's name on every Marvel comic..........

40 years later, the man is still out there, just saw a recent interview with Todd Macfarlane, Stan "The Man" Lee can still bring it...........one of my true lifetime idols/heroes.

Bump

I will say this.

Stan Lee's stuff is what hooked me on comics, and he has played a major part in my life subsequently. Without his guidance, work and "pushing" of this form of entertainment, I seriously doubt the hobby would be half of what it is today. The movei and toy industry would not be near where it is today, in regards to comic book characters. It would not be missing or dead, but IMO would not be half of what it is.

However, my one and only face to face with him was a disappointment. He seems full of himself. A case could be made that he deserves too, I suppose. But I just don't do well with those that are full of themselves. Everyone bleeds, poops and cries. So get off the high horse.

I really would like to know what thoughts were going through his head when he drew the "cockroach" on the Spidey 129, and all of those signatures on the absolute worse places to put them, on comic book covers.

I "suspect" that he did them because he was thumbing his nose at those attempting to make a few extra bucks from his signature.

Or maybe, he just likes to write his name on the crotches of muscular men. I have never seen him sign on the crotch of a woman. Anyone have one where he did? Although in fairness, he also likes to write his name on the face of the major character. How dumb (or, if my theory is correct, how "middle finger-ish).

But when it comes to comic books, he is "the man". More so than Moore, Seranko, McFarlane, Ditko, Adams or any other person you name. Perhaps even more so than the creators of Superman or the Yellow Kid. (I'm sure to get a lot of disagreement on that statement, and I would be hard pressed to defend it). :)