• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got a pet? Post a picture or two here!!

133 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have always enjoyed browsing all the pictures of the families, books and rooms etc. but have not seen a post for pets!

This came to light recently (02/24/2011) when my 12 1/2 year old Basset Hound had to be put to sleep and now is on the other side of the rainbow bridge! It was a surprise to all of us as we knew she was getting older but never expected to lose her!

On Monday (Presidents day) I came down stairs and my dogs usually run to me. Two of three did come but DeeDee did not. I found her lying on the rug in front of the heater vent in the kitchen. She did not look well but started to perk up as the day went on. We called the vet and got an appointment for the next morning at 7 AM. The vet confirmed my fears that DeeDee was sick -- real sick! The Vet told me that she (DeeDee) had internal bleeding and cachexia which she believed was from cancer.

Now my DeeDee was a runt only 30 - 35 # and for a Basset that is small so I did not notice a weight loss (in fact she weighed the same but it was due to blood in her abdomen). While the Vet is telling me this DeeDee is wagging her tail and munching down on treats. The Vet stated that she could not do anything for DeeDee and I decided to take her home and treat her like a queen!

My daughter and son were home for school break so they stayed with her during the day and at night we feed her tenderloin and hamburger and she drank coffee (she loved coffee -- she use to steal it off the back of the contractor's trucks when she was a pup!) She seemed to do better and then Thursday AM her abdomen became very distended and she could not move very well. My wife and I call my oldest son and he came home from college that morning and spent the day with her. My youngest son and I had to go to his doctor for a follow up on his leg (he broke it in hockey and had to have a tumor removed ) when we came home all five of us (wife, me and three kids) brought DeeDee to the Vet and put her to rest!

I am finally able to talk (type about it) as I was embarrassed by my reaction to loss of DeeDee I deal with death and dying on a regular basis but never felt the pain that I did with losing this dog! It drove home to me that animals become very close to us and in fact we see them more than most of our human family members.

DeeDee Bettencourt: Born 8/24/1998, Adopted us on: 12/24/1998 (Christmas present for Buddy), Died 2/24/2011.

So let’s share pictures (past and present) and memories of our non-human family members!

Post -script: My daughter, younger son and wife convinced me to get another dog and they name it Juliet. She is adorable Basset and last weekend as I was coming home from a night shift from hell my wife and son were leaving. I asked where they were going and they said to get Romeo!! That’s right I now have 2 basset puppies, 1 adult basset, 1 adult Maltese and two cats! No wonder I work so much!!

This is DeeDee as a pup at Fort Meade MD around 1999

BabyDeeDee-1.jpg

This is DeeDee and Caryssa 1999 - 2000

CaryssaandDeeDee1999.jpg

DeeDee with Andrew and Caryssa 2000

scan0104.jpg

DeeDee with the Kids DeeDee did not bark, bite or growl!

DeeDeeandthekids.jpg

This is DeeDee 08/2008

IronMan37102.jpg

Profile of DeeDee now I can see how skinny she was looking

DeeDee1.jpg

This is DeeDee’s last day eerie with the light and reflection!

DeeDeeinthelight.jpg

She was majestic to the end!

DeeDeelyingdown.jpg

DeeDee on the last day in her bed!

Deedee2242011.jpg

Dottie as a baby 2003

BabyDottie.jpg

Dottie (8 year old Basset) with Cuddles and Romeo

Dottieandpuppy.jpg

Here is Cuddles 5 year old Maltese

Cuddles.jpg

Younger Cuddles

Cuddles2.jpg

Gizmo the cat that acts like a dog!!

Gizmo.jpg

Gizmo in close up!

Gizmoface.jpg

Juliet

Juliet.jpg

Juliet

Juliet2.jpg

Romeo

Romeo.jpg

Sorry for your loss CD :sorry: Sounds like DeeDee was surrounded with a lot of love and lucky to have you as her family. :foryou:

A few pics of my kids!

Ms. Brittany

PA220141.jpg

Charley

P1020175.jpg

Shiva

DSCN0579.jpg

Jonah Woodson Nagle

P3080067.jpg

:banana: Chris

We have 4 dogs, these are our 2 Corgi's. Pretty likely that they are the 2 worst behaved dogs on the planet and the brindle colored one is mean as a freaking snake!

momo10001.jpg

The big dog in this pic is our Greater Swiss Mountain dog. He's awesome but has epilepsy and has to have 6 different meds at exactly 9am and 9pm. NOT FUN!

momo20001.jpg

We also have a little Pomeranian but i cant find a pic of him on my work computer

Great pictures everyone but I think it is only proper to post their names! :idea: (Besides I want to find the true comic geeks - Gizmo from Gremlins is a close as my family has let me to naming the pets (we did have a Cheetara when we lived in FL) I wanted to call Juliet Gamora but was out voted!:cry:

Sorry for your loss CD :sorry: Sounds like DeeDee was surrounded with a lot of love and lucky to have you as her family. :foryou:

A few pics of my kids!

PA220141.jpg

P1020175.jpg

DSCN0579.jpg

P3080067.jpg

:banana: Chris

Thanks Chris and great looking family!!

This is my pet. His name is O'Malley he is 12 yrs old, I bought him when he was 2. He has raced 125 times. This is a picture from last week.Picture012.jpg

This is when he was 2

babyomalley.jpg

O'Malley breaking the track record at Tampa Bay Downs

record.jpg

We have 4 dogs, these are our 2 Corgi's. Pretty likely that they are the 2 worst behaved dogs on the planet and the brindle colored one is mean as a freaking snake!

momo10001.jpg

The big dog in this pic is our Greater Swiss Mountain dog. He's awesome but has epilepsy and has to have 6 different meds at exactly 9am and 9pm. NOT FUN!

momo20001.jpg

We also have a little Pomeranian but i cant find a pic of him on my work computer

(thumbs u great looking dogs and kudos to you for managing your dogs epilepsy! (worship)