• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is with the rabid collector?

75 posts in this topic

About a year ago I responded to a Craigs List ad for a solid collection of 1974-1995 comics. Guy explained that they belonged to his roommate who'd skipped town and stiffed them on the rent. About 25 long boxes, stored in a dank, moldy basement.

I spent about an hour talking with the guy and going through the boxes. Included tons of $.25-.30 cover Marvels, including runs of Daredevil and Hulk; only a few Byrne X-Men; a complete run of ASM from about 250-350, including NM dupes of 298 and 300. The guy was obviously a collector because the keys were boarded, whereas everything else was just in boards.

We ended up not coming to a deal, so I walked away with nothing, but while I was there the seller received _four_ separate calls from another collector who was so anxious that he might have missed out on a Hulk 181, ASM 129 or X-Men 94 that he was _pleading_ with the seller to not sell anything until he could look at them.

The guy asked the seller to check for ASM 128 and Hulk 179 (presumably to try to throw me off), at which point I spoke to the man on the phone, explained that there were no Bronze keys that I saw outside of some later Byrne X-Men and a run of Miller Daredevils.

Didn't matter--the guy started screaming at me over the phone, sounding like he would have a seizure.

Don't know if he ultimately bought the collection, but I couldn't believe how insane he was acting simply because I happened to respond to the ad and get there first.

You should have asked him exactly how badly he wanted his daughter to see her father get his beaten and his comics taken away from him and jammed down his throat. :mad:

+1

seriously though, the fear of violence works really well in a situation like this one. i think i would ve had a quiet word in his ear. if that didnt work then perhaps an attitude reajustment in the form of a clenched right fist applied to the face at 70 miles an hour, bout 180 lb per square inch. when the cops turn up, simply tell them it was an unintential reaction brought about by this guy grabbing my and saying " up for a good time big boy".... last thing hes going to want to go to court to defend...a sex assault charge.....next 60 years of this guys life he will be unbelievably polite and considerate to strangers at garage sales...( thats if he ever attends one again)...

Have you checked out The Boys? It might be your kind of comic.

ha, the_boys used to be my handle on here...

Some people need to grow up. Luckily I haven't had a run in like that since quarter arcades still existed. People in the mall used to lose their marbles over Street Fighter lol

That`s the thing a lot of these guys will never grow up, they will be in there 60s and still think they are a teenager. In away it`s could be bad and another way it could be good for them hm

You should have asked him exactly how badly he wanted his daughter to see her father get his beaten and his comics taken away from him and jammed down his throat. :mad:

This post should have ended the thread. hm

This post should have ended the thread. hm

I would love if someone said this to me lol

Not just every hobby, but in all walks of life.

We will always run across asshats. It is a shame we can not simply spray them down with pepper spray and get away with it. Society would be a far more civil place once insufficiently_thoughtful_persons like this got blasted a few times.

J. Don't let the actions of a rude, selfish, twit stop you from doing what you enjoy.

I can see two sides of this situation. Personally I like to long box dive....if I've gone through say 7 out of 10 boxes and someone walks up and sees what direction I've worked my way over from as I get to say box number eight and then they start flipping through box 9 that bothers me...and that exact scenario seems to play out every time I dig. I've also noticed though that the person usually digs through one box and then moves onto something else.

It has not happened to me yet where I've missed a key issue because someone "skipped to box 9", but I think I'd probably lose my cool if someone should pull a GL 76, or Hulk 181, or something like that....I could probably live and let live a little better for NM 98, or even ASM 300.

But on the other side of it....comic hunting is not divine providence. Get your arse in there and first come first serve.

I can see two sides of this situation. Personally I like to long box dive....if I've gone through say 7 out of 10 boxes and someone walks up and sees what direction I've worked my way over from as I get to say box number eight and then they start flipping through box 9 that bothers me...and that exact scenario seems to play out every time I dig. I've also noticed though that the person usually digs through one box and then moves onto something else.

It has not happened to me yet where I've missed a key issue because someone "skipped to box 9", but I think I'd probably lose my cool if someone should pull a GL 76, or Hulk 181, or something like that....I could probably live and let live a little better for NM 98, or even ASM 300.

But on the other side of it....comic hunting is not divine providence. Get your arse in there and first come first serve.

Get there first and dive quickly :)

The guy that goes to box 9 first would you berate him for a full 10 minutes while he is looking through the box?

I can see two sides of this situation. Personally I like to long box dive....if I've gone through say 7 out of 10 boxes and someone walks up and sees what direction I've worked my way over from as I get to say box number eight and then they start flipping through box 9 that bothers me...

This side has no merit though and the only thing to be said about it is tough mess. :eyeroll:

Yes I run across insufficiently_thoughtful_persons all the time and I have been know to walk that line myself from time to time. But this is different since these were personal attacks againsts me for nothing that I did.

Anyway, I know over it. I had a nice walkathon and read some of my new comics. Thanks for letting me rant. I needed to get it off my chest as my friends don't collect comics and it didn't translate.

Get there first and dive quickly :)

The guy that goes to box 9 first would you berate him for a full 10 minutes while he is looking through the box?

No I wouldn't....

I can see two sides of this situation. Personally I like to long box dive....if I've gone through say 7 out of 10 boxes and someone walks up and sees what direction I've worked my way over from as I get to say box number eight and then they start flipping through box 9 that bothers me...

This side has no merit though and the only thing to be said about it is tough mess. :eyeroll:

There's literally no reason to start ahead of me, you don't know if there's something in box 1-7 that you might be interested in. You have 100% of the collection to go through, whereas I've now got to wait behind you to finish the last 20%???