• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nick Cage's stolen Action Comics #1 has been recovered

92 posts in this topic

Stephen flew out to authenticate the copy.

According to the Ventura County Star:

It remained missing for more than 10 years until last month when a man found it in a San Fernando Valley storage locker, said Balelo, who owns Balelo Inc., a liquidation merchandise business in Simi Valley. The man had bought the locker's contents through Riverside-based American Auctioneers.

(I pulled together some quick background on the matter for a Bleeding Cool post.)

Stephen flew out to authenticate the copy.

According to the Ventura County Star:

It remained missing for more than 10 years until last month when a man found it in a San Fernando Valley storage locker, said Balelo, who owns Balelo Inc., a liquidation merchandise business in Simi Valley. The man had bought the locker's contents through Riverside-based American Auctioneers.

(I pulled together some quick background on the matter for a Bleeding Cool post.)

Will this be popping up on Storage Wars? Nice!

Seriously Nicolas needs the money so it's a great time for it to surface.

Regardless of the insurance,this book belongs to it's rightful owner Nick Cage. :applause:

Yeah ten years ago insurance paid out a lot less than current market value. I say let Cage write the insurance company a check and let him have the book.

Regardless of the insurance,this book belongs to it's rightful owner Nick Cage. :applause:

Yeah ten years ago insurance paid out a lot less than current market value. I say let Cage write the insurance company a check and let him have the book.

I seriously doubt that's what will happen. The insurance company owns it now.

I'm with Dice on this one, though for good PR, they could offer to sell it back to him for FMV.

Wether they decide to sell it in the open market, or back to Cage, they'll get a lot of media exposure out of this. I didn't think I could feel sorry for Cage, but today I do...

Man, can you imagine the thrill of the find for the storage owner? And then the disappointment at learning it's owned by an insurance company now? I wonder if they have some sort of finders fee for returned property...

doh! That REALLY sucks.

I seem to recall hearing somewhere it was around a 6.x copy, which if true, stretches the credibility of the article claiming it has a market value of a million dollars.

I seem to recall hearing somewhere it was around a 6.x copy, which if true, stretches the credibility of the article claiming it has a market value of a million dollars.

Fishler has called it a VF. There's a tiny, cropped pic of a copy in the LAPD's stolen art database which some believe to be the Cage copy.

http://lapdonline.org/collectibles/art_theft_view/32308

Fishler has called it a VF. There's a tiny, cropped pic of a copy in the LAPD's stolen art database which some believe to be the Cage copy.

http://lapdonline.org/collectibles/art_theft_view/32308

Do you recall when he called it a VF? I can't recall where I even heard it was a 6.x, I think it was back around when he sold his comics. I may even be thinking of a second copy he had and did sell back around 2002 when he dumped the rest of his collection.

Do you recall when he called it a VF?

In a lengthy post on the subject here in 2006:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1510108&fpart=1

Here are the facts:

3 books- A VF Action Comics #1 (unrestored), a VF Detective #27 (unrestored except for a tiny sealed tear on the back cover/sold in the 1992 Sotheby's auction) and a 3rd book that I will not disclose for the time being, were missing. These books had been placed in high security frames on a wall.