• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There is a sucker born every minute..

22 posts in this topic

Sometimes I am just amazed how little some comic collectors do no research on the comics they are bidding on ebay.. take for instance this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320681180921&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I emailed the seller to check to see that these are not the Alan Light reprints from the seventies.. and he confirmed that the pages in the three golden age comics.. and I sent him the link on it..

he confirmed that yes they were the reprint issues.. :makepoint:

I told him well if they are.. you better let your bidders know that they are not.. otherwise you will have a pissed off winning bidder thinking he is getting the original issues from the forties..

He has not posted that on the auction.. so buyer beware.. :taptaptap:

I would report it to Ebay, using their automatic system, I have done before.. BUT they have never stopped an auction from ending..

Ebay does nothing.. maybe if we all reported it?

I would report it to Ebay, using their automatic system, I have done before.. BUT they have never stopped an auction from ending..

Ebay does nothing.. maybe if we all reported it?

Maybe you can get him on the fact that he's running a reserve auction without paying a reserve auction fee. That oughta get ebay's attention lol

Deceitful. Playing dumb about comics, to help with the deceit. I see it often.

"Hey guys, there may be some very expensive comic books in this offering, but I am too lazy (or too uneducated) to know what is what. So my lazyness is potentially your big gain".

Well I just let ebay know about it( I actually called them ) . lets see what they do.. ends in 8 hours.. at 5 AM PST... who would be up at that hour? another bad thing..

oh here is my discussion with the guy:

Me: I believe the 3 that you have prominently pictured are reprints.. here is the link: http://stlcomics.com/gallery/light_maris/

Do these 3 , Captain America, All-hit and Marvel Comics have black and white page interiors..if so they are the Alan Light Reprints from the seventies.. please let me know.. thanks

Him: Thank you 4 that info.

the only 1 I have looked at is the captain america and it is black and white.

Me: Thanks for letting me know.. you probably should let folks know in your listing that these 3 comics are the Alan Light Reprints from the 70's,

Him: You are so welcome, like I said I dont know a lot about comics I just want to sell them lol. I looked at the Captian America one again and it has a reprint date of 1969, does that sound right?

I then told him once again.. that HE Should really really let these bidders know that these are not the actual Golden Age Comics, but reprints..

He has not..

So I am going to see if Ebay handles this or not or lets the winning bidder get screwed..

I wonder if I will get a Thank you note from Ebay?

It is now 9:00 at night ( PST) bidding up to $980.. and there are 2 bidders going at it.. one with a rating of 21 and the other is 23... I hope the guy with a rating of 1804 realizes that these comics are Alan Light Reprints.. if not.. well I would like to tell him, but as you know with ebay privatizing the bidders.. there is no way to do that.. it's in Ebay hands now..

why anyone would think that someone found a box with near-mint GA books along with a nice collection of common 80s and 90s books, with nothing in between...the mind boggles.

over 1k now. boy, someone's going to be working the significantly not as described angle something fierce

Deceitful. Playing dumb about comics, to help with the deceit. I see it often.

"Hey guys, there may be some very expensive comic books in this offering, but I am too lazy (or too uneducated) to know what is what. So my lazyness is potentially your big gain".

It's a classic con technique - make the mark think he's the one doing the cheating.

Yep... ended at $1525, Yikes! and the winning bidder has a rating of 21.. other bidders 0 and 5, according to bid history.... well now that this auction was on ebay's radar... let's see if they do their job, after being informed..

Final communication with seller:

Him: Look I am not trying to rip anyone off and I said in my listing that I didnt know anything about them and as far as the coupon thing that info came from the person I am selling them for. I was told to not open comic books if they look old. The winner got 134 comics not just 4 should have paid attention. There are a lot of old comics in that box too. Sorry you feel the way you do. If you read my listing all I wanted was 134.00, I can't help it got as high as it did.

Me: Hey , it is your auction, and you can take the consequences, when the winning bidder pays, gets the comics and realizes that these "1941" comics that you prominently listed in the title of the auction are actually the Alan Light reprints from the early 1970's.. Even the Spy Smasher in the picture is a reprint from Alan Light.. I told you that these were reprints, and just because you were "told" not to open the comics, that is probably the reason.. in fact this person that gave them to you to sell, he might be ripping you off.. you give him the $1500, after shipping them off, the buyer finds out that they are not really the 1941 issues and wants his money back, yet you don't have it, since giving it to the person you are selling it for.. hence you are on the hook..

I only feel bad about the person you sold them too.. that person stands to lose the most.. since you did not take the time to confirm that these are originals..

Good Luck..

guess it is not over:

Him:

I was not selling them as originals, I was selling a BOX OF COMICS THAT HAD 134 COMICS IN THEM DO YALL NOT UNDERSTAND THAT or can yall not read. Just because yall was looking at just those comics doesnt mean someone else doesnt just want the box. I have spoke with the winning bidder telling him that the box has been shipped and he said he was bidding on them for the 134 comics plus the extra 10 comics I am sending him for winning. YALL NEED TO LEARN HOW TO READ NOW LEAVE ME ALONE BEFORE I REPORT YOU TO EBAY FOR HARESSMENT.

Me:

You can call ebay if you want.. I already have.. as far as looking at the rest of the comics.. I looked at the ones you had prominently pictured.. the ones in the box, well are just the ones in the box, no idea of what is in there.. you did not provide pictures of all of them, and you did not list titles or issue numbers of what is in the box.. So the ones in the box, would just be blind bidding, not knowing what is in there..

I am just telling you what the possible outcome of this auction could be..

again, Good luck.

lol

Yeah, i'm SURE the winning bidder paid over 1500 bucks to get a short box of mid-grade CA drek that he could buy at ANY con for about $100 if that! Sounds about right.

I'm sure the HG GA books he had prominently pictured played no part whatsoever in how high he was bidding (thumbs u

sellers like this is why i almost never use eBay anymore.

I remember an ebay listing several years ago for an unspecified short box of comics, where the seller had spread out mostly bronze, copper and modern random books with an artfully placed book that looked like a Phantom Lady #17 peeking out from under a couple more recent books. Now, I suppose some people just want to believe that out of a box of random comics that just happens to have a single GA book, that that book happens to be Phantom Lady #17, but I seriously doubt it - maybe a photocopy placed in bag over another book?

The seller ( in Europe) was careful not to even indicate there were any GA books in the box, let alone a PL#17, but sure enough, some spirited bidding brought the final bid to nearly $1000.

I checked for a while to see if the buyer left any feedback, but after a month or so, neither neg or positive appeared.

Better yet, there were a couple of these "pile of comics" auctions where, upon closer examination, you could see the GA books were 1 page photocopies of the covers...the comics had no thickness.

I saw a dealer get taken in by these reprints once at a show.. He bought a stack of comics from some guy without looking too carefully and just quickly gave the guy $100 or $200, thinking he was getting over on him without opening up any of the bags...turned out the nice comics were the reprints and there were some GA beater Dells, Fawcetts and what not mixed in there to make the pile seem more legit

The seller says he knows nothing about comics but apparantly he knew enough to put the Captain America and Marvel Comic up front as bait in the picture, unfortunately someone took his bait, it`s dealers like this that give comic sellers a bad name, this seller had a feedback of 3,so that looks pretty convient and shady as well. 2c