• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many Marvel zombies collect pre-hero Marvels as well?

Pick the option that describes you best.  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the option that describes you best.

40 posts in this topic

I have only collected Flash among the DCs, and quit it years ago. My only DC currently in the collection is a Flash #139 (1st Professor Zoom). I have pretty much always considered myself a Marvel Zombie, and love both the pre-hero and hero books. I'm presently trying to figure out how to narrow my focus to actually afford my hobby!

I collect all marvel except Captain America and Nick Fury. just never liked those characters.

Cool! Those are precisely the two Marvel characters for which I also have an active dislike.

:cool:

I collect all post implosion books through 1986. Also Timely/Atlas teens, Maneely, Heath, Everett... from the 1950s. As a general rule if it says Marvel, Timely or Atlas on it I can find a reason to keep it.

I collect hero and pre-hero from marvel. I also collect the revival books, and am getting into Marvel Mysteries. I like captain america ( but don't collect ), and I have most of Nick Fury's runs (Sgt Fury, Strange Tales, and Agent of Sheild). Fury's current book Secret Warriors has been a great read. A shame it's getting the AX.

I have seriously narrowed my collecting focus over the last 10 years. I started out in the 80s collecting high-grade SA Marvel (FF, Spidey, Thor.. you name it) & DC super-heroes (mostly the Superman titles).

One day (circa 1988) at the monthly comic show that used to be held at the Roosevelt Hotel in NYC, I noticed that Conrad Eschenberg had a nice batch of pre-hero Marvels on his board ($10 a piece, if I recall). I knew something of these stories since I bought some of reprint mags like CREATURES ON THE LOOSE and MONSTERS ON THE PROWL, but being a "Kirby zombie" it was Jack's awesome original covers that got me interested.

At that time, these books were usually found in the 3-for-a-dollar bins at shows, in various conditions (mostly poor -- but every once in a while you could find a diamond in the rough!). It wasn't until the early-mid 90's that magazines like Gary Carter's COMIC BOOK MARKETPLACE showcased these books with emphasis on the "prototype" stories, that collecting really took off.

These days, I exclusively collect HG non-hero sci-fi/fantasy/adventure books from the 50's & early 60s -- Atlas, DC, and sometimes Charlton. I will also dabble in some of the Kirby Harvey/Prize/Archie hero titles like FIGHTING AMERICAN, BULLSEYE, RACE TO THE MOON, ALARMING ADVENTURES, etc.

Now that I have a general focus, it actually make collecting, for me, a lot more manageable and fun!

Bill

It wasn't until the early-mid 90's that magazines like Gary Carter's COMIC BOOK MARKETPLACE showcased these books with emphasis on the "prototype" stories, that collecting really took off.

That was a fantastic magazine. I still miss it - that and the CBG two-section newspaper before it changed over to tabloid format. In some ways the internet and even CGC has improved the hobby, but in other ways not.

I just wish I'd been more oriented to mail order and not so exclusively tied to local comic shops and shows in the eighties when the occasional gem could be had from mail order dealers at eighties prices, which of course didn't look cheap to me at the time either.

:(

It wasn't until the early-mid 90's that magazines like Gary Carter's COMIC BOOK MARKETPLACE showcased these books with emphasis on the "prototype" stories, that collecting really took off.

That was a fantastic magazine. I still miss it - that and the CBG two-section newspaper before it changed over to tabloid format. In some ways the internet and even CGC has improved the hobby, but in other ways not.

I just wish I'd been more oriented to mail order and not so exclusively tied to local comic shops and shows in the eighties when the occasional gem could be had from mail order dealers at eighties prices, which of course didn't look cheap to me at the time either.

:(

Funny you mention that. In those dark age days before email, I had an elaborate postcard mailing system - where I would add new sellers I came across in the CBG to my Dbase 3 database and print out labels and stick them on post cards for my weekly mailing of my want list. I was sure that my "advanced" technology gave me a bit of an edge over collectors!

I have seriously narrowed my collecting focus over the last 10 years. I started out in the 80s collecting high-grade SA Marvel (FF, Spidey, Thor.. you name it) & DC super-heroes (mostly the Superman titles).

One day (circa 1988) at the monthly comic show that used to be held at the Roosevelt Hotel in NYC, I noticed that Conrad Eschenberg had a nice batch of pre-hero Marvels on his board ($10 a piece, if I recall). I knew something of these stories since I bought some of reprint mags like CREATURES ON THE LOOSE and MONSTERS ON THE PROWL, but being a "Kirby zombie" it was Jack's awesome original covers that got me interested.

At that time, these books were usually found in the 3-for-a-dollar bins at shows, in various conditions (mostly poor -- but every once in a while you could find a diamond in the rough!). It wasn't until the early-mid 90's that magazines like Gary Carter's COMIC BOOK MARKETPLACE showcased these books with emphasis on the "prototype" stories, that collecting really took off.

These days, I exclusively collect HG non-hero sci-fi/fantasy/adventure books from the 50's & early 60s -- Atlas, DC, and sometimes Charlton. I will also dabble in some of the Kirby Harvey/Prize/Archie hero titles like FIGHTING AMERICAN, BULLSEYE, RACE TO THE MOON, ALARMING ADVENTURES, etc.

Now that I have a general focus, it actually make collecting, for me, a lot more manageable and fun!

Bill

Shows must have been different in your neck of the woods. I've been collecting pre-heroes since the mid-late 70s, and they were always priced in line with guide. In terms of condition, my experience was the same. If they turned up, they were generally low grade. The only ones I’ve ever seen in the bargain bins were the 70s reprint titles.

I recall the only pre-hero that was at or above guide in the 80s was TTA #27. What was guide for a VF/NM pre-hero in the mid-70s..$4-$8?

I remember looking over my old catalogs (mid-late 70s) from Brooklyn's Comic Sales Comany (aka Grand Bookstore) awhile back and noticing that the pre-heros were really cheap. Of course, CSC grading was very hit and miss...still if only I was collecting pre-heroes back then.