• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay user bongo2001, and mydadsextras

146 posts in this topic

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I'd like some imput on how to deal with this buyer.

Quick synopsis: 9 months ago bongo2001 bought a couple of books off me. I allow 7 days to pay. Week goes by and no payment, messages, nothing. So I file a non-paying bidder. Think Ebay allows 4/5 days before hitting the buyer with a strike and refunding listing fees. The guy waits until just a couple of hours before the strike is going to go through and pays, virtually down to the wire. This really irritates me, but I figured he did eventually pay, decided to give him the benifit of the doubt and not block.

Flash forward to a couple of weeks ago. List a few items with Buy-It-Nows and bongo2001 hits a couple. Send him an invoice with combined shipping.....and then nothing, the same game. He again waits until just a couple of hours shy of 7 days (after which I would have file a NPB) and pays.

(FYI for those who were trying to give this guy the benifit of the doubt, saying 'he buys a ton of stuff, probably looses track': this guy knows exactly what he's doing, he keeps very careful track of just how far he can push a seller and Ebay before getting slapped. He also contests any neg-within-a-pos feedbacks and wins.)

Anyway, after he paid and I shipped the books, I decided I was fed up with having my chain yanked and blocked him.

Yesterday I sent him a message with his tracking info. He responded today by saying he wanted to buy some more of my items but was blocked and wanted me to unblock him.

So should I explain to him why I blocked him and risk him getting snotty and pulling some shenanigan with the books I just shipped him? Ignore him? Unblock him and just be happy that I'll sell some stuff and get my money some day?

if you are looking for immediate payment why not require immediate payment for any BIN items?

I believe that's a configuration option right? (Im more of a buyer than a seller, so I could totally be wrong).

I'd just not reply to his request. Finish this transaction and move on. If in the future he contacts you about wanting to bid on books you can tell him then since he'll have no recourse at that point (feedback/shipping shenangins-wise.

After two weeks, no replies, no communication and after finding out that he kept Supa on ice for a month while bidding on my book I filed a NPB report which quickly got his attention. He paid, I refunded him immediately and told him to eat it. I'll take the neg any day over having to deal with a dirt bag on his terms. Put the goof on my blocked list.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I'd like some imput on how to deal with this buyer.

Quick synopsis: 9 months ago bongo2001 bought a couple of books off me. I allow 7 days to pay. Week goes by and no payment, messages, nothing. So I file a non-paying bidder. Think Ebay allows 4/5 days before hitting the buyer with a strike and refunding listing fees. The guy waits until just a couple of hours before the strike is going to go through and pays, virtually down to the wire. This really irritates me, but I figured he did eventually pay, decided to give him the benifit of the doubt and not block.

Flash forward to a couple of weeks ago. List a few items with Buy-It-Nows and bongo2001 hits a couple. Send him an invoice with combined shipping.....and then nothing, the same game. He again waits until just a couple of hours shy of 7 days (after which I would have file a NPB) and pays.

(FYI for those who were trying to give this guy the benifit of the doubt, saying 'he buys a ton of stuff, probably looses track': this guy knows exactly what he's doing, he keeps very careful track of just how far he can push a seller and Ebay before getting slapped. He also contests any neg-within-a-pos feedbacks and wins.)

Anyway, after he paid and I shipped the books, I decided I was fed up with having my chain yanked and blocked him.

Yesterday I sent him a message with his tracking info. He responded today by saying he wanted to buy some more of my items but was blocked and wanted me to unblock him.

So should I explain to him why I blocked him and risk him getting snotty and pulling some shenanigan with the books I just shipped him? Ignore him? Unblock him and just be happy that I'll sell some stuff and get my money some day?

I can't think of a worse waste of personal time than dealing with this clown. Selling product is not about being paid when it's convenient for the buyer, or removing your product from the shelf, and letting it sit while others may buy it pass you by. The only reason this guy is able to continually act this way is because sellers allow him to.

I would never block a buyer that pays in less than 30 days.

eBay's rules say ten days (or seven business days).

If you can't pay within that time frame you shouldn't bid.

If a buyer is a repeat offender of this rule upon a certain seller they should block him/her.

To me that is insane. After ten days, as eBay suggests, if I do not hear from the buyer, I initiate 'the process.'

I do not think that it is a matter of impatience. I honestly feel that if you buy something that you should at least write the buyer to let them know what is going on. I have received a few messages over the years concerning various situations of inability to pay at that moment and I truly understand. Just let me know what is going on and we are cool. If you disappear? Ten days goes by, I initiate the non paying process.

BTW the best I ever heard? Buyer was totally honest. They told me that they bought an item from me and did not expect to win the number of things that they won. They asked if they could immediately pay one day after the next pay-period.

Me? No problem. I understand... just let me know what is going on. Don't pull the disappearing act.

To me that is insane. After ten days, as eBay suggests, if I do not hear from the buyer, I initiate 'the process.'

I do not think that it is a matter of impatience. I honestly feel that if you buy something that you should at least write the buyer to let them know what is going on. I have received a few messages over the years concerning various situations of inability to pay at that moment and I truly understand. Just let me know what is going on and we are cool. If you disappear? Ten days goes by, I initiate the non paying process.

BTW the best I ever heard? Buyer was totally honest. They told me that they bought an item from me and did not expect to win the number of things that they won. They asked if they could immediately pay one day after the next pay-period.

Me? No problem. I understand... just let me know what is going on. Don't pull the disappearing act.

+1. If your going to act like a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed then be prepared to be treated like one.

Selling is about profiting. I don't take idiosyncrasies as a personal affront when they don't cost me additional time or effort. There is little to no cost to file the unpaid item claim (it can be automated) and it apparently gets him off his wallet.

Ultimately, this guy pays and drives up other prices when it is an auction setting.

If a buyer is a repeat offender of this rule upon a certain seller they should block him/her.

There is no "seven or ten day" rule.

Sellers can set their own policy on time frame to initiating the unpaid item process, however they can not initiate it earlier than 4 days after the bid. If they do it any time between 4 and 32 days from auction close, their final value fees will be refunded.

There is no "seven or ten day" rule.

Sellers can set their own policy on time frame to initiating the unpaid item process, however they can not initiate it earlier than 4 days after the bid. If they do it any time between 4 and 32 days from auction close, their final value fees will be refunded.

Wow your right.

I had the page saved from years ago the last time I had a NPB and it's an all new policy.

If you don't receive payment for an item you've sold, we're here to help.

If the buyer is no longer registered on eBay, you can open a case right away in the Resolution Center. Under I sold an item, select I haven't received my payment yet.

If the buyer is still registered, please give the buyer 4 days to pay. If you still haven't received payment after a reasonable amount of time, here's what you can do next:

Use to be you had to wait 10 days from the auction end before they allowed you to open a NPB case to get your final value fees back. Then after oening the case they sent a warning email to the buyer and they had a week to send you the money in the mail or Paypal before you could close the case and get your fees back. They use to threaten you if you didn't wait the length of time they stated you might not get your fees back.

Now it's "please give the buyer four days to pay...." :ohnoez:

if you are looking for immediate payment why not require immediate payment for any BIN items?

I believe that's a configuration option right? (Im more of a buyer than a seller, so I could totally be wrong).

I'd just not reply to his request. Finish this transaction and move on. If in the future he contacts you about wanting to bid on books you can tell him then since he'll have no recourse at that point (feedback/shipping shenangins-wise.

I don't so much need payment instantaneously. If someone pays within a couple of days that's cool. I think this was bugging me because it seems to be his m.o. with everybody.

The only reason I put Buy-It-Now on these is Ebay was running a special. I always start my bidding at what I would be comfortable with if it only got one bid. Thought the free BIN might put a little pressure on potential bidders to just go ahead and purchase it outright rather than risk loosing it at auction.

Selling is about profiting. I don't take idiosyncrasies as a personal affront when they don't cost me additional time or effort. There is little to no cost to file the unpaid item claim (it can be automated) and it apparently gets him off his wallet.

Ultimately, this guy pays and drives up other prices when it is an auction setting.

Yeah, that's what I kinda struggled with. I mean, the guy's screwing around, but it's not like he's claiming non-receipt and filing charge-backs, stuff like that. Everybody does get paid....eventually.

The more people you have participate, the more you sell your stuff for, and the guys obviously got a lot of disposable income. The bottom line is it does mean more money in pocket for a bit of aggravation.

I just don't get guys like this. What do they have to gain by it? I mean, I'm a collector and so is he (with a lot more mad money I might add). The objective is to get the books you want. I don't see how off sellers by not paying, not communicating and stringing them along for weeks or months, getting NPB filed against and getting blocked - how does that move you closer to your collecting goal?

I would think you would want to keep as many avenues for buying open as possible (without selling your soul, of course). Not constantly burning your bridges left and right.

I just don't get it. (shrug)

I'm with you. If the guy pays I couldn't care less about a week or 2 week wait. I don't need the money for rent and appreciate buyers who drive the price up.

Resurrecting an old thread, but eBay user bongo2001 who won an item 14 days ago and has not made payment.  It's been crickets.  After 11 days, unpaid item case opened.  3 invoices and one personal message asking for a response, nada.  

Letting the community know to beware bongo2001.

I sold my books to him about 45 books. He is famous for procrastinating the payments and I always poked him. He always gave me many different excuses included his ailing mother, funerals and etc. At one point, he told me that "Did you know that eBay allows the buyer to pay the item within 45 days?"  I am sure no one really wants to wait that long.

However he already paid all for my books but he NEVER leaves me one feedback.

Edited by JollyComics

16 hours ago, JollyComics said:

I sold my books to him about 45 books. He is famous for procrastinating the payments and I always poked him. He always gave me many different excuses included his ailing mother, funerals and etc. At one point, he told me that "Did you know that eBay allows the buyer to pay the item within 45 days?"  I am sure no one really wants to wait that long.

However he already paid all for my books but he NEVER leaves me one feedback.

Sure enough, he just paid.  Took two weeks and opening a case, but he paid.

Lol, this is a blast from the past. 

After my first run-in with bongo I decided to take him off my block list at his request so he could buy another book. Thought the blocking might give him a clue. 

He proceeded to string me along for another week and a half for payment. :facepalm:

Needless to say he went back permanently on my block list. 

The statement “you know eBay gives a buyer 45 days to pay?” is pretty telling. If he truely believes that then why does he pay minutes before the Non-Paying Bidder strike goes through?  What a tool.

Kinda surprised he’s still around. I assumed every seller on eBay finally got sick of his shenanigans and everybody had blocked him.