• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is going to buy my CGC 9.8's 20 years from now?

80 posts in this topic

eBay isn't the litmus test for how well major keys (especially CGC books) sell in the open market. Auction sites are really the place to sell HG major keys.

I've been on and off collecting for 30 years. I'm sure there will be interest in these comics in 20 years from now. These movies are creating lasting characters that will only continue to grow in the minds of kids today as the grow older.

My son who is 6 knows Thor, Iron Man, Spidey, Hulk, Captain America as much as he knows Mickey Mouse and the Wiggles. These characters will be in demand and their original comics will appeal to a niche of collectors.

The question isn't who will buy your 9.8s...it's who will buy my 6.0's in 20 years...I think they will be just fine IMHO. :wishluck:

I'm not veteran comic book buyer like most of you here, but if this "hobby" is anything like collecting baseball and football cards, I'd say the vintage stuff will always hold it's value. You may not get rich reselling your high grade, vintage books, but I don't think you're going to lose any money either. I wouldn't sweat it.

- Who's to say CGC won't start relaxing their standards and flood us with 9.9's, in which case who would want a mere 9.8 ?

I have thought about this one over the years. This would really suck for the top-grade collectors in the registry. If CGC were ever in financial trouble, a shift in grading standards would encourage a lot of resubs to raise revenue.

hm

That would be an evil twist.

Always, always buy low and sell high. That's really all there is to it.

Too simplistic.

The OP is asking if 'low' now will be 'high' 20 years from now.

Who is this 'low' person, and how are we supposed to know if he'll be high in 20 years?

Awareness of the characters is the key to long term profitability. DIsney paid $4 billion for Marvel's characters. That tells me that the studio will continue producing written & visual media & commercialize the thousands of characters for years to come.

Warner Bros., as we know, owns DC, and the Batman & Superman (he's dead, no he isn't) films should be coming out for years to come as well.

As long as kids watch cartoons & play with the toys later grow up to watch films with the characters, there will exist a passionate fanbase pursuing those silver and bronze age comics.

When a poll of Americans over 13 was taken to see if they recognized Bugs Bunny: 34% did not...

http://www.movieline.com/2010/10/4-terrifying-things-about-the-report-that-mike-myers-will-voice-pepe-le-pew.php

One thing was made clear to WB recently, when other polls that showed decreasing awareness among kids for the Looney Tunes characters. Which make sense, if they don't produce new product and the classic cartoons are shown on TV with decreasing regularity, brand awareness will fade.

So, WB will finally release new Looney Tunes content, along with DC properties like the upcoming Green Lantern animated series.

Disney should continue to pump out Marvel product, I have no doubt. Those high grade Silver Age keys will continue to be sought after. We can all make a list of the Keys. Early high grade SA Marvel works for me, but your mileage (and enjoyment) may vary.

As far as eBay goes, one thing that impedes the high prices for the Keys is a lack of bidder confidence. At least when you buy from the other 4 auction houses, you have confidence that you'll receive your comics. "eBay Buyer Protection" only goes so far...Does robojo33 & bijoubaby05's feedback make *you* feel confident enough to buy from them?

eBay isn't the litmus test for how well major keys (especially CGC books) sell in the open market. Auction sites are really the place to sell HG major keys.

The auction format is not the experience it has always been in the past. With the state of the economy, the bidding pool has thinned. Having said that I think eveyrone will agree that auction prices have bounced back greatly over the past year.

In the long run, collectibles, especially those that are instantly recognizeable at the forefront of culture will always have some demand.

As for who is going to buy your books in the future, nothing is written in stone and Murphy's law seems to prevail. If you think it's going to be collectible, it isn't. If it seems to be overlooked and nobody thinks it's going to be collectible, it is. Amazing, isn't it?

Always, always buy low and sell high. That's really all there is to it.

Tell that to all the people that stockpiled silver @ $49 recently as it corrects to a more realistic #

silver has always been a certain percentage of the gold price. with gold moving and silver staying low over the past few years, many experts were expecting an upward correction in silver prices. but i wouldn't want to be buying it now either. it's kind of nice knowing that if i run across an old silver dime, it's worth $3 tho.

Couple of points.

What is old always becomes new and what is new always becomes old.

Additionally, if CGC wanted to enhance their revenue flow. All they would have to do is start grading less strict. Then all of those 9.8's and 9.9's would be resubmitted. Just like how an "old slab goodness" is used here as an incentive to sell a book. Because it is believed CGC used tgrade looser than they do now. Some might think they can resub and get a higher grade or at the very least, press and get one.

Couple of points.

Additionally, if CGC wanted to enhance their revenue flow. All they would have to do is start grading less strict. Then all of those 9.8's and 9.9's would be resubmitted. Just like how an "old slab goodness" is used here as an incentive to sell a book. Because it is believed CGC used tgrade looser than they do now. Some might think they can resub and get a higher grade or at the very least, press and get one.

got me thinking there... wonder if CGC will do another slab 'revamp' anytime soon???

Couple of points.

got me thinking there... wonder if CGC will do another slab 'revamp' anytime soon???

Hey, did that whole comic shipping debacle with BigHulkFan ever get worked out? Didja step up?