• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Latest grail added to my collection! Thanks to the boardie who made this acquisition possible. You know who you are. :hi:

bats-227-96.jpg

Beautiful book. Congrats. Still looking for a reasonable companion copy to my 9.4. Lots of copies have turned up the last couple of months, but none of them have been bargains. I don't know if it's because this book is really that hot or it's just a few hoarders trying to corner the market :)

Wow. Yet another (4th) 9.8 has surfaced over at Heritage. This will be interesting.

4 9.8s? Wow maybe I'll finally be able to afford a 9.6 :wishluck:

This new (upgraded) one is pretty sharp, too.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7039&lotIdNo=40002#Photo

Beautiful. :cloud9:

$400 for the raw VF/NM does not look that bad right now based on the current $301 for the 8.5 copy in the Clink auction that ends tonight.

I agree that Batman #232 should be worth more and is a much more important book than #227 overall, but there seem to be way more HG copies out there.

Batman #234 is a "meh" cover for me. Two-Face is an okay villain, but it is not his first appearance which knocks it down in my view. Again, there are plenty of higher grade copies to go around for this one as well.

$400 for the raw VF/NM does not look that bad right now based on the current $301 for the 8.5 copy in the Clink auction that ends tonight.

I agree that Batman #232 should be worth more and is a much more important book than #227 overall, but there seem to be way more HG copies out there.

Batman #234 is a "meh" cover for me. Two-Face is an okay villain, but it is not his first appearance which knocks it down in my view. Again, there are plenty of higher grade copies to go around for this one as well.

Yes, From what I have observed the past 2 or 3 years, when a Bats #227 comes up for auction in 9.2+, there are usually many fighting for it and prices are rising. You don't see this book in every auction in 9.2+. Bats #232 and #234 in 9.4+ show up in just about every CLink monthly auction, so they can be had for market value or less depending on who is bidding that month. I agree with Ryan that #232 is such an important book in the Batman continuity, but too many HG copies are out there and continue to be readily available. Bats #227 may suffer the same fate as GL #76 as pressers and flippers start to target this book. The black cover will make it a bit tougher though to easily find raw potential improvement candidates.

I've actually been following this book in the lower, raw grades on eBay. High grade copies aside, the lower raw copies appear to sell surprisingly well also compared to other Batman keys.

My opinion, I think most real collectors know that this book should not be more significant to the other Bronze keys, but the fact of the matter is, it definitely is right now. I don't see this changing any time soon. For better or for worse, I've found that this book gets a lot of outside press that makes it the unofficial representative or "face" of when Bats returned to his gothic roots, even though it was not this exact issue that started the trend away from camp. What I mean by outside press is that this cover has been showned or mentioned in numberous articles about either Batman or O'Neil/Adams, Levitz's giant "75 Years of DC comics" has a full page spread showcasing this cover, HBO's "The Pych. of Batman" used this cover in the program when discussing his dark roots. This program was latered included in the movie DVD, creating yet even more exposure. There's a few other references as well, but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now. What I'm trying to say is, as long as this book keeps getting advertised like this, people will always want it.