• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

depends on what is going on the edge of the cover. If those are light scratches instead of small tears, and there is no issue with the back cover, then 8.5 or even 9.0 is possible. I saw that listing a few hours ago and figured someone here will snag it eventually (thumbs u

Just found this one on eBay. I don't normally consider high priced, raw books, but this looks really good. What do you think it grades at? Would this be at least a 8.5 or 9.0?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300563298833

scanner0002.jpg

Is that a small stain on spine just above the bottom staple?

A 7.5 went for $469 in June according to GPA. Seems like a definite outlier, though.

The movie hype giveth, and in a couple of months it will taketh........

I dont see why the movie would hype #227 though?

A 7.5 went for $469 in June according to GPA. Seems like a definite outlier, though.

Me neither, when people watch a batman movie they then think of Neal Adams Batman books ?

Me neither, when people watch a batman movie they then think of Neal Adams Batman books ?

The rise prices for common Bats and Tecs pre-movie is evident of this, just l Ike it was for ASM and Avengers common issues. Maybe I will be wrong, but I expect books to pull back a bit when the buzz dies down. The pattern happens with all movie related books, and Adams Bats should be no different.

I think the Adams era books are a great starting point for many collectors. It's pretty much established that the Batman we all identify with these days started at around this point. I would imagine a movie coming out would spur some interest. In the end, the same ol' collectors will be around, but the flippers will come and go.

Speaking for myself, I loved TDK, but it was not enough to get me interested in comic books again. That didn't happen until after I played Batman: Arkham Asylum on PC a year or two later, and was floored by how great the Paul Dini story was executed. That led me to the trades, which eventually led me to buying up all the Bat books from my early childhood as way for me to deal with my mid life crisis (since the Harley is out of the question). This so happens to be the early O'Neil/Adams run of the '70s.

I agree with all of the points re: Adams Bats and Tecs, but looking at the recent run up in prices there appears to be movie hype frothiness to me. That being said, since I built up most of this stash at lower prices before the recent run up, I am more than happy to see it keep going.

I think the Adams era books are a great starting point for many collectors. It's pretty much established that the Batman we all identify with these days started at around this point. I would imagine a movie coming out would spur some interest. In the end, the same ol' collectors will be around, but the flippers will come and go.

Speaking for myself, I loved TDK, but it was not enough to get me interested in comic books again. That didn't happen until after I played Batman: Arkham Asylum on PC a year or two later, and was floored by how great the Paul Dini story was executed. That led me to the trades, which eventually led me to buying up all the Bat books from my early childhood as way for me to deal with my mid life crisis (since the Harley is out of the question). This so happens to be the early O'Neil/Adams run of the '70s.

I agree as well, the Dark Knight Batman “type” that was the impetus for all the movies, the early ones included, started around this time I think. The earlier into the 60’s you go the more sci fi, campy things seem to get for me. Even the flippers have to realize though that many of these Adams keys will be desirable long into the future. I actually hope prices do dip post movie hype so more of us can afford some of these bad-boys in better grades.

In the meantime I will be hunting and researching the foreign 227 variants far into the future. I have begun work on my 227 specific article and I hope to include side by side compare and contrast elements using Bats 227 and all its foreign brethren.

Below are the known true 227 Adams bats variants…… Starting with the American,

The Mexican Novaro, The French Sage edition, and the beautiful Brazilian EBAL!

Batman227_foreigngroup-2.jpg

Only three believe it or not…. The Brazilian being the prettiest…. Many of the Brazilian Ebals had a almost pastel look to the covers. There are still some rumored to exist 227 variants that will remain close to my chest….

Edited by Define999

I agree as well, the Dark Knight Batman “type” that was the impetus for all the movies, the early ones included, started around this time I think. The earlier into the 60’s you go the more sci fi, campy things seem to get for me. Even the flippers have to realize though that many of these Adams keys will be desirable long into the future. I actually hope prices do dip post movie hype so more of us can afford some of these bad-boys in better grades.

I agree that long term they will do well. After my next group of books comes in I will post another group shot. ;)

I agree that long term they will do well. After my next group of books comes in I will post another group shot. ;)

Find me a decent #227 :sumo:

In the meantime I will be hunting and researching the foreign 227 variants far into the future. I have begun work on my 227 specific article and I hope to include side by side compare and contrast elements using Bats 227 and all its foreign brethren.

Only three believe it or not…. The Brazilian being the prettiest…. Many of the Brazilian Ebals had a almost pastel look to the covers. There are still some rumored to exist 227 variants that will remain close to my chest….

Weird that the French version changed Batman's face. (shrug)

Weird that the French version changed Batman's face. (shrug)

I think the entire cover was redrawn from scratch.