• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Seems the Sig Series doh! Twin Cities 9.8 is up at Comic Connect next month. It will be interesting to see what impact the wrap and signature have on this book. My disdain for sig series Pedigrees is well documented elsewhere.

I believe this one changed hands recently and looks like the new owner decided to so the Yellow Label route this summer.

Bats227TC.jpg

I'm not a fan of yellow labels either. Especially when it comes to high grade, vintage keys. My opinion, these books are scarce enough as it is and should be left in as original condition as possible. Getting lower grades signed is acceptable I guess, but not high grade specimens. Being a pedigree makes it even worse.

I'm not a fan of yellow labels either. Especially when it comes to high grade, vintage keys. My opinion, these books are scarce enough as it is and should be left in as original condition as possible. Getting lower grades signed is acceptable I guess, but not high grade specimens. Being a pedigree makes it even worse.

+1

I don't have a problem with sig series but it has created a tactic whereby ppl use it to attempt to squeeze a few more dollars out of a HG book that already has provenance and Pedigree. So if you now want to own the TC 227 you have to accept that it's Signed. As a Ped collector i have previously ranted about leaving them the :censored: alone but another falls victim here. Nice to see the Rocky remains intact. (thumbs u

Seems the Sig Series doh! Twin Cities 9.8 is up at Comic Connect next month. It will be interesting to see what impact the wrap and signature have on this book. My disdain for sig series Pedigrees is well documented elsewhere.

I believe this one changed hands recently and looks like the new owner decided to so the Yellow Label route this summer.

Bats227TC.jpg

Such a sweet book. I think there will be some buyers turned off by the YL, but there are probably some people even willing to pay more for a sig book. Personally, I would never buy a signed high grade classic.

hm on another note there have been a few 9.8s FS over the past year, I haven't checked the census in a while but curious how many are new to market and how many are recirculated copies. I still think this is a rare in HG book, but over time we shall see how rare as this is not under anyone's radar anymore.

2c

hm on another note there have been a few 9.8s FS over the past year, I haven't checked the census in a while but curious how many are new to market and how many are recirculated copies. I still think this is a rare in HG book, but over time we shall see how rare as this is not under anyone's radar anymore.

2c

It is definitely a scarce book in 9.6 or higher. 8 9.8's and 13.9.6's. There are 86 copies 9.2 or better. I consider that pretty tough for an early 70's book. When you consider 1/3 to 1/2 are miswrapped, that shrinks the best looking copies down considerably.

I have no idea how many have been resubbed to a higher grade, but it isn't many. One would think that after the first 9.8 sold for 10k, the floodgates would open for HG submissions. 8 graded copies in 6 or 7 years is a trickle. There aren't boatloads of 9.2+ copies. 2c

Edit: I didn't include Yellow labels as I don't pay attention to signature books. The total numbers are 10 9.8's, 15 9.6's and 95 copies total in 9.2 and higher.

Still a modest census count for 9.2 and above.

Edited by scooter99

Here's mine:

bat227_zps59edd7a7.jpg

I HAD a Bat #3 CGC 8.5. I had to sell it last May to meet payroll. Major bummer. My wife had to have a serious operation and I needed to fund a part time employee until my wife was well. It all turned out dandy and I had some cash from the Bat #3 sale left over and bought this book.

Here's mine:

bat227_zps59edd7a7.jpg

I HAD a Bat #3 CGC 8.5. I had to sell it last May to meet payroll. Major bummer. My wife had to have a serious operation and I needed to fund a part time employee until my wife was well. It all turned out dandy and I had some cash from the Bat #3 sale left over and bought this book.

Beautiful looking copy !!! Congrats :applause:

Here's mine:

bat227_zps59edd7a7.jpg

Beautiful looking copy !!! Congrats :applause:

+1 that's a nice book

Bats227TC.jpg

Such a sweet book. I think there will be some buyers turned off by the YL, but there are probably some people even willing to pay more for a sig book. Personally, I would never buy a signed high grade classic.

A high grade common, non-ped book I'd have no problem getting signed.

Getting the TC 227 9.8 signed is tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY (imo)

Bats227TC.jpg

A high grade common, non-ped book I'd have no problem getting signed.

Getting the TC 227 9.8 signed is tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY (imo)

Normally I'd agree but seeing the miswrap on that book I actually don't mind.

Yeah. There's a lot of white there, but I don't think that's too bad. It's nice and straight and presents well IMO. It's only bad if it's off center, which I really hate when it comes to the wrap.

It's a grand book no matter how you slice it. Maybe with a high grade book, getting the sig on the bottom of the 1st page would be prudent if it has to be signed. I love sig books myself. I think once the artists are gone, they will actually add to the provenance. I wouldn't turn down a hi-grade Kirby sig on the cover of a key book, you know?