• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Very nice!

Here's my 2/27 tribute.

:screwy: Only a loser would hoard multiple copies of this book.

bat227s.jpg

(There would be six here, but the other two copies are at my office.)

Happy 2/27!

(worship)

You've been holding out on me, Jon. :baiting:

(worship)

Likewise to both sentiments, Scott. lol I took a look for my old copy in the three you posted, but I think you've upgraded way past it! Nice haul!

(worship)

Likewise to both sentiments, Scott. lol I took a look for my old copy in the three you posted, but I think you've upgraded way past it! Nice haul!

I still have your old copy and a few others, but they were in a different box that I didn't want to climb up a ladder to get to. It's rough getting old. :preach:

Well, as the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who started this thread, it'd be weird if I didn't join this parade. :)

I have 3 copies. One slabbed, a low/mid-grade raw, and low grade that I have in a frame that I usually hang on the wall.

145245.jpg.41e8e668ce4aa4ede543c6ed9a83d874.jpg

145247.jpg.17de701451193ac9650b050c4140f8ca.jpg

145248.jpg.9a33effebbfb800eb940006812bc95cc.jpg

Well, as the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who started this thread, it'd be weird if I didn't join this parade. :)

I have 3 copies. One slabbed, a low/mid-grade raw, and low grade that I have in a frame that I usually hang on the wall.

I love your style Brian48

Another prized moment in 227 comic history :cloud9:

Neal Adams on Nov 3, 2012 Long Beach Comic Con

2012-11-03_15-25-20_514_zps6d0fdd95.jpg

Neal laughing at how the Brazilian editors modified his original cover artwork

He never seen these books before.

2012-11-03_15-24-31_12_zps5bedea34.jpg

2012-11-03_15-24-38_829_zps02fca0bc.jpg

Is Neal giving you the finger? Is Neal giving us the finger?

Or just his way of holding a book still for signing?

I know it looks like that. He was pointing to the editorial change he was laughing at those fools messing up his masterpiece

In any language, he is the king......

I know its a day early (due to work restrictions, and a Blackhawks game, I won't be able to post on 2/27), but I agree with the wrap sentiment...try this one for comparison.

b227a_zpsda1a7fbb.jpg

And if you're going to have a party, you should have your friends there too...

IMG_5268_zps907d0bfd.jpg

(worship)(worship)(worship) (worship) You are a God among men!

I don't mean to offend anyone if it is their book, but top right corner crease or SSS damage, plus a color breaking crease mid spine - how does that still get 9.6?

Checking out some of the other copies on eBay, I should resub my current 9.2 as it will likely be a 9.4.......

Edited by kimik

there are quite a few of 9.6 slabs with books with 1/16" to 1/8" visible corner crease...lots of them if you go on Heritage and peruse the sharp scans they have (all you need to do is search Hulk 181 and X-men 94 and you will see them). i won a few slabs over the years from CL that I was shocked to see such a crease on a 9.6 slabs....scans weren't big enough or sharp enough for me to spot the crease but lesson learned...no more.

Yep. You just CAN NOT count on the number in the upper left corner of a slab, to actually represent what you are looking for.

It will probably be in the ball park. But the key word in that sentence, is "probably".

Best way to buy books in slabs (or raw for that matter). Is in person. Conventions and whatnot. Most internet sales of professionally graded books, do not allow the return of them. As they are professionally graded and encapsulated.

But, I'm preaching to the choir. Y'all knew that already.

I've got a bunch of 9.6s that have a small under of spine ticks or printer's creases. Based on what I can tell, the main difference between a 9.4 and 9.6 are how fuzzy the corners are. Both can have the same identical defects, but if one has fuzzy corners, it's a 9.4. If not, it's a 9.6.