• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

As *spoon* as Arch comes back from vacation Hepcat will still be Hepcat.
8 8

1,126 posts in this topic

What the hell did hepcat do? Maybe they were aiming at a popcorn vigilante and Hepcat was a victim of circumstance. :cry:

:popcorn:

Here. This is funny stuff...

Someone, somewhere will invent it eventually. The current system is absurdly inadequate. Those who cannot handle people saying things they disagree with, or don't like the way in which they say it, can still see what those people say, and still stir up trouble by responding to it, even if they are on "ignore"...because they aren't on "ignore" by others.

Message boards, like life, are not vacuums. It's infinitely better if those people I don't wish to associate with in any way can't see anything I write.

And this part is classic. Read this...

Their overemotional, immature inability to control THEMSELVES would then no longer be an issue.

And it's followed up by this...

It is the people looking to pick fights that are the problem, not the people who just want to chat. And this board, sadly, is overloaded with people who want to pick fights, and the moderators choose to ignore it. So, an actual ignore function is desperately needed.

:roflmao:

Here's the source of this idiotic trolling. Give the whole thread a read just for a good belly laugh.

What the hell did hepcat do? Maybe they were aiming at a popcorn vigilante and Hepcat was a victim of circumstance. :cry:

Here. This is funny stuff...

Someone, somewhere will invent it eventually. The current system is absurdly inadequate. Those who cannot handle people saying things they disagree with, or don't like the way in which they say it, can still see what those people say, and still stir up trouble by responding to it, even if they are on "ignore"...because they aren't on "ignore" by others.

Message boards, like life, are not vacuums. It's infinitely better if those people I don't wish to associate with in any way can't see anything I write.

And this part is classic. Read this...

Their overemotional, immature inability to control THEMSELVES would then no longer be an issue.

And it's followed up by this...

It is the people looking to pick fights that are the problem, not the people who just want to chat. And this board, sadly, is overloaded with people who want to pick fights, and the moderators choose to ignore it. So, an actual ignore function is desperately needed.

:roflmao:

Here's the source of this idiotic trolling. Give the whole thread a read just for a good belly laugh.

I just saw she got a strike....? ???

Hepcat is a girl? :o

I guess that really would make him a .

And a touch more eccentric than he already appeared to be. hm

I just saw she got a strike....? ???

Hepcat is a girl? :o

I think Aces is thinking of long-time boardie, Lucy Bop! She was our resident 50s lingo slinging, poodle skirt wearing, hepcat-cool-kittie!

Would you classify me as less eccentric were I a collector of those ever so elusive 9.6 Wolverine 1's and other slabbed comics that are so much in vogue these days? And would that be a good thing in your book?

???

Hmmmmpppfff! No answer from the mods. Oh well. They can prevent me from posting but they can't put me off the collecting activities that have been a big part of my life since first grade.

The first comics I can remember reading were the Harvey Felix's Nephews Inky & Dinky. I recall my buddy and I from across the street thought that Dinky was a very cool name!

03-07-201152115PM.jpg

The first comics I can recall buying were the Cicero's Cat 1 and 2 in the summer of 1959. I bought them at Ken's Variety on Wharncliffe Road in London, Ontario and I very clearly remember my father initially telling me to take #2 back because he thought I already had a copy!

CicerosCat1.jpg

CicerosCat2.jpg

Though I was already familiar with Superman and Batman comics from the barber shop or wherever, the first superhero comics I distinctly remember reading were the Adventures of the Fly in early 1961. I remember reading them at Lamont & Perkins drugstore a block away on Wortley Road before they chased me out, at which point I'd head for Tyler & Zettel's pharmacy a few blocks away. I believe they only stocked Archie, Dell and Classics Illustrated comics in these drug stores which is why the Fly was the first superhero to catch my attention. I'm not sure which issue of the Adventures of the Fly first captured my attention but it may have been #11 or #12:

In any event, I very clearly remember seeing these ads in Adventures of the Fly 13 heralding the introduction of Fly Girl and the Jaguar:

02-06-201181947PM.jpg

02-06-201181940PM.jpg

The first DC superhero comic I can specifically remember reading was Green Lantern 11 in 1962 which a buddy on a farm outside of London, Ontario had. I still remember how it filled me with wonder at the time.

GreenLantern11.jpg

A copy of Justice League of America 8 that I read at summer camp a couple of months later that same year clinched the deal. The first superhero comic I bought shortly thereafter was Justice League 14.

21-08-201182441PM.jpg

02-07-201164237PM.jpg

I eventually succeeding in trading for all but a couple of the issues of Justice League down to #4:

02-07-201164222PM.jpg

These comics had a lifelong influence on me. But so did the bubble gum cards I collected and model kits I built as a kid.

Despite the fact that my boyhood treasures all went by the wayside at some point in time, I never completely lost interest in these things. Throughout high school and university I always wished I still had my comics and cards.

My first job after university was in 1977 and by 1979 I was back to collecting. Big time.

I collect comics from 1945 to 1980. My concentration is Silver Age DC such as Justice League, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Atom, Hawkman, Mystery in Space, Sea Devils, Challengers of the Unknown, Metal Men, Wonder Woman, Tales of the Unexpected, Teen Titans, Fox & the Crow etc. I'm just about solid in my main titles going back to 1962. For example, I have all the Justice Leagues going back to 1960 with the exception of issues 5, 6 and 47.

I also collect other titles like Fly, Jaguar, Black Cat, Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, Space Adventures, Gorgo, Herbie, Turok, Dr. Solar, Lone Ranger, Gold Key Phantom and many Atom Age Jungle and Adventure titles including Sheena, Jumbo, Space Western and Commander Battle & the Atomic Sub. I have a few Harveys such as Casper, Wendy, Spooky, Little Dot, Little Audrey and Hot Stuff and quite a few Dell Funny Animal comics.

I also have a very good collection of the car humour mags such as Drag Cartoons, Hot Rod Cartoons and CARtoons. I also collect the Warren horror mags such as Creepy and Eerie and the Skywalds. I have a collection of several dozen Mad magazines from the late fifties and early sixties as well.

ComicRoom.jpg

ComicsLeftSide.jpg

ComicLeftFileCab.jpg

The 1958-59 hockey cards were perhaps the first cards I ever encountered in the schoolyard. Here's The MAN holding up the binder with my 1958-59 hockey cards

HockeyCards-1.jpg

The first cards I bought and collected were the 1959 CFL cards. Here's The MAN again with my binder containing these cards:

baseballcards.jpg

CFLCards.jpg

My collection of CFL cards and such from the fifties to 1972 is among the best in the world. I also have a very nice collection of hockey cards from 1957 to 1973. I also have hundreds of baseball cards although these I've not pursued aggressively. I have thirty binders of sports cards, over three quarters of them from before 1973.

The non-sport cards I collect are primarily from 1948 to 1972. These I find even more interesting than sport cards. Favourite sets in my collection include You'll Die Laughing, Funny Valentines, Mr. Foney's Foney Ads, Zorro, Robin Hood, Sports Cars, Civil War News, Casper, TV Westerns, Goofy Series Postcards, Wacky Plaks, Fight the Red Menace, Batman, Space/Target Moon, Crazy Cards, Round-Up, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Monkees and Spook Stories. I haven't yet found Mars Attacks and Battle sets in sufficiently high grade. These two sets would be excruciatingly expensive. All in all, I have 32 binders of non-sport cards of which over 85% are pre-1980.

Here are my You'll Die Laughing cards featuring fabulous Jack Davis artwork:

AYoullDieLaughing-1.jpg

YoullDieLaughingcards.jpg

YoullDieLaughing.jpg

I've been accumulated the original wrappers for dozens of these sets as well. As you can imagine, the wrappers can be particularly tough to find.

My collection of premium coins - Shirriff hockey, football, baseball, cars, warships, space etc. - from potato chips and jelly desserts is among the best in the world.

Hockeycoins.jpg

I collect unbuilt figure model kits - the Aurora monster and other figure models, Hawk Weird-Ohs, Revell "Big Daddy" Roth, AMT Star Trek vessels etc. I now have most of the ones I really want. For example, the only Roth kits I need are Surfite, Scuzzfink, Boss Fink and Robin' Hood Fink and and the only Aurora monsters I need are the King Kong, Godzilla and Mummy's Chariot. These are very tough to find.

I also collect unbuilt Aurora and Hawk plane and ship models from the sixties and some drag and stock car model kits from the seventies. I currently have 146 vintage boxed model kits in my display cabinets.

I also have 33 unbuilt slot car kits from the sixties, primarily Monogram and AMT. As you might imagine, these are particularly difficult to find.

NewFullModelCabinets006.jpg

I currently have eighteen Mint in Box board games from the sixties including Casper, Terrytoons Hide n' Seek, Outer Limits, Shindig, Howdy Doody Adventure, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Deputy, Mighty Crusaders, Johnny Ringo, Dracula, Superman, Spider-Man and Lost in Space.

NewGamesImage.jpg

I also have a modest collection of other toys including a Three Keys to Treasure Bagatelle, eight Kenner Presto or Sparkle Paint Sets, three different Hasbro Marble Mazes and some Hamilton Invader items. I have a couple of dozen Mint on Card Duncan Spin Tops. The "toy" I most covet is a Mint in Box Mad, Mad, Mad Scientist Laboratory chemistry set which I had as a kid.

I've also taken up collecting NM unused kids' lunch boxes with their thermoses. I now have 22 thermoses and nineteen lunch boxes. The Steve Canyon lunchbox and thermos is the oldest of these but others include Shari Lewis, Casper, Atom Ant & Secret Squirrel, Woody Woodpecker, Famous Monsters of Filmland and Yogi Bear.

Here's a picture of the cabinet in which I keep my board games and lunch boxes:

GameCurio.jpg

I have a small collection of Lionel HO trains. Eventually I'd like to have a 1/29 scale garden railroad outside with Aristocraft and USA Trains equipment. I'll model a 1950s scene and mix 4-8-4 Northern steam engines with GP7 and GP9 diesels in my layout.

I haven't really gotten into Pez dispensers, Corgi or Matchbox cars, or Hot Wheels - yet. Maybe in another ten years.

I also collect refillable soda pop bottles, 16 ounces and smaller, and 1/4 pint and 1/2 pint round painted label milk bottles from the 1920s to the 1950s. I specialize in Ontario dairies. I now have close to two hundred bottles plus several dozen Pepsi and other collectible milk glasses in a custom built kitchen pantry with glass doors to store and display the bottles.

I have a couple very nicely restored Beaver gumball machines from the sixties. As soon as I create the space in my kitchen, I intend to acquire one of the pop machines from the sixties where you pulled the bottle out toward you horizontally. I also really want one of the small metal Wishing Well thermometers which hung in many variety stores when I was a young boy.

I love music and am constantly adding to my record accumulation of over 500 LPs and 200 CDs. My favourite artists include the Rolling Stones, Doors, Animals, Jethro Tull, Kinks, Who, Cream, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Spirit, Yardbirds, Zombies, Troggs, ? & the Mysterians, Jay & the Americans, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Jeff Beck Group, Buddy Guy, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, James Brown, Junior Walker & the All-Stars, David Bowie, Blondie, B-52's, T-Rex, etc.

I have a small collection of Rolling Stones 45 sleeves and concert programs.

I play my music on a Thorens TD 240 turntable with a state of the art Ortofon 2M Black moving magnet cartridge which incorporates a Shibata line stylus, a Marantz CC4001 CD player, a Marantz PM7001 70 watt per channel amplifier and a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RS8 speakers. I'm also getting a custom hardwood base with interlocking layers of sound deadening baltic birch built for a new old store stock Garrard GT-55 turntable I picked up on Ebay! It will anchor a second system in my bedroom which includes a pair of BIC Venturi 5312 speakers.

I have a small coin collection as well of primarily Canadian silver coins but I have some U.S. ones as well as the odd gold coin.

I also adore classic and muscle cars. I had a 1987 Buick Grand National but that was stolen in 1992 out of the parking lot of a banquet hall when I was attending a friend's wedding and then trashed. A project I've not been able to get around to doing due to financial limitations is restoring my candle apple red 340 powered 1973 Dodge Charger which needs an engine rebuild. I had Jesse at the Hemi Shop in London install the engine back in 1981....

Collecting is a terrible compulsion to be sure.

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

Hepcat,

There is still something going on with the boards. The page count showed 23 with you as the most current poster, but I had to create a new post in order to see your latest post. hm

Great collections! :applause::applause:

A few baseball cards from my collection.

Snider_1958.jpg

Allen_1968.jpg

Berra_1961.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

Hepcat,

:A few baseball cards from my collection.

Snider_1958.jpg

I love the simple yet colourful design of the 1958 baseball cards!

It's the 1959 set though that was the first I encountered when it came to baseball cards and accordingly became my "gold" standard:

BaseballCards-1.jpg

There is still something going on with the boards.

But whatever happened to that "Is Friday the new Sunday?" thread anyway?

???

Edited by Hepcat

Hepcat,

:A few baseball cards from my collection.

Snider_1958.jpg

I love the simple yet colourful design of the 1958 baseball cards!

It's the 1959 set though that was the first I encountered when it came to baseball cards and accordingly became my "gold" standard:

BaseballCards-1.jpg

There is still something going on with the boards.

But whatever happened to that "Is Friday the new Sunday?" thread anyway?

???

Do you have the ENTIRE 1959 Topps set? :acclaim: I recall having quite a few of these as a kid. I traded them away to a neighbor kid. doh!

I'm not sure about the "Is Friday the new Sunday?" thread. (shrug)

I do have a very few 1959 Topps Baseball. I sure wish I had skipped collecting the newer stuff in the late 80's when I was collecting.

I could have obtained a lot more of the cards from the 50's and 60's. :makepoint:

I do have the inagual season card set for the T-Wolves.

TWolve.jpg