• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever buy a "lot" of books sight unseen?

22 posts in this topic

I have a chance to buy a "lot" of books that I definitely want but I would have to do this sight unseen. I know it is not the best way and I know I could end up with and I accept that risk....calculated risk based on what little I do know. So my question, have you ever done this before? If so, how do you determine what is a "fair" price to pay?? I am not interested in stealing the books but feel I have to buy them at a discount to protect myself a little. Any opinions??

Thanks

I have a chance to buy a "lot" of books that I definitely want but I would have to do this sight unseen. I know it is not the best way and I know I could end up with and I accept that risk....calculated risk based on what little I do know. So my question, have you ever done this before? If so, how do you determine what is a "fair" price to pay?? I am not interested in stealing the books but feel I have to buy them at a discount to protect myself a little. Any opinions??

Thanks

You got nothin to loose but your money, good luck. post you findings here

Thanks

Might as well smoke your money . . . :grin: If you feel compelled to buy them, then the only way to protect yourself is to assume they are in no better than VG condition at best, and price your offer accordingly, depending on other variables, e.g. if there are some serious keys, etc. I assume you have a list at least? Or are we talking, "a box of 12-cent comics"? lol

Thanks

What little do you know? If this turns out to be a box of 90s overstock they are

almost worthless.

Thanks

What little do you know? If this turns out to be a box of 90s overstock they are

almost worthless.

I agree with this completely. You definitely need to know what the collection consists of, and if it is 60's 70's and 80's books, then like previously mentioned assume all books are VG at best, offer 25% of VG price.

Thanks

almost worthless.

If I were a betting man, and I'm not, I'd say the odds are that it is exactly that.

My best comic purchase ever was in a random lot on eBay. No titles listed, one picture of a huge pile of comics. Advertised lot of 80 independent comics. I bought the lot for $8. When it arrived there were closer to 100 comics in there and everything was awesome stuff and the grade was much better than anticipated with plenty of NM in there. Got a complete run of Deadworld in there. Got a complete run of Borderworlds. Got Caliber Presents #2, Concrete #1, it was just an awesome lot of comics. Under ten cents each :o

Yeah, what do you know about the lot? Is there anything of value that you want? If it were me I'd pass it up, too much of a chance that most of it will be either low grade junk or 90s overstock. Save your money and buy the specific issues at the grade you want.

But if you buy, good luck!

About 2 months ago I bought 42 Amazing Spiderman books ranging from 161 to 210 from craigslist pretty much site unseen. There was one pic of the pile of books that's it. The books were $45 shipped, not much of a gamble, and all but one were 9.0 or higher.

Thanks for all the input. I do know what the lot consists of and yes, I want it all for my collection in the right grade....I am just not sure of the condition. It is early ASM. The seller used the term "very good" but that can be a generic term as well as a grade. I am trying to figure out an average price per book to make it easy....$10...$15.... Like I said, I am not interested in robbing the guy but need to insure I get a fair price too.

Thanks,

Scott

It seems that you have a list or a general idea of what's in there and are just unsure of the condition. Is that fair to say? I recently did that and came away very happy with the results. Of course, I had a pretty detailed list and knew about some nice key bronze issues in there.

But really it was the price that mattered. If we're talking a big expensive (relative to your budget) deal then that's a lot harder to dive into compared to one where if you take a big loss it won't matter as much.

There's a lot I was made aware of with lots of silver stuff (GL 1-12, JLoA 1-12, etc), but the guy wants 10k. Compare that to the lot I mentioned above which was for less than 5% of that amount. Much easier to dive into the former than the latter!

Trust your gut and your wallet.

I think $10-15 is still too much. How early is the ASM? If it's in the 1-50 range, I would say that's fair. After that, unless they are high grade or a key issue, I personally think $2-7 apiece would be better. However, I'm no expert in the SA. Let the SA experts chime in :)

I think $10-15 is still too much. How early is the ASM? If it's in the 1-50 range, I would say that's fair. After that, unless they are high grade or a key issue, I personally think $2-7 apiece would be better. However, I'm no expert in the SA. Let the SA experts chime in :)

:o Fair? For who? $10-15 per book for ASM 1-50. The number one alone even in very low grade would be worth more than $500.

My best comic purchase ever was in a random lot on eBay. No titles listed, one picture of a huge pile of comics. Advertised lot of 80 independent comics. I bought the lot for $8. When it arrived there were closer to 100 comics in there and everything was awesome stuff and the grade was much better than anticipated with plenty of NM in there. Got a complete run of Deadworld in there. Got a complete run of Borderworlds. Got Caliber Presents #2, Concrete #1, it was just an awesome lot of comics. Under ten cents each :o

You overpaid.

I have done so on ebay with mixed success, but never feeling that I wasted my money. Obviously I scrutinize the listings very very carefully. Some of them just look too much like attempts to unload 90's drek.

One of the best deals I got on ebay was a lot of books with no pictures (but the books were listed). An average grade was given (which was far below what the books actually were), and as a nice bonus, many of the books were sharp Mark Jewelers copies. On top of everything, the guys only accepted check/MO as payment, which probably scared off some bidders even though his FB was good. It cost me $50 and I'd guess the books guided for $1000 or so. Basically I made my money and then some back selling the Hulk 182 and another book right away and had about 100 others left over.

I sell vintage lots on ebay, though I give an estimated OPG value of the lot and say what era the books are from (so far the newest I have sold was up to the late 80's, though most of them are BA or earlier). I don't say what the books will be. Everyone who has bought so far has been extremely happy. They get a nice mix of books, often in nice shape, for well less than 50% of OPG, and I get rid of some books I may have 5-10 copies of. Is it great for a flipper? Probably not, though one guy bought a lot to sell at his comic shop and was happy. But for a collector it beats buying them at their LCS or buying them separately on ebay and paying all that shipping.

You overpaid.

As is see no smiley face...why must you always pizz on everyone's cornflakes? Sounds like a pretty nice haul for 10 cents each to me.

Whoops! I didn't mean #1! And like I said, I'm not expert here. What about the rest? How much would the others be worth?

We don't know what he means by "early", but $10-$15 for comics ranging from 10 - 50 unless they're in tatters is arguably pretty low as well. 50 - 70, or whenever 12 cent cover prices end...$2 each isn't going to get it done, though, yes $7 might be too much if they're beaters.

liaton...#2-#10 are going to sell in triple digits even if they're beat up. #14 ditto.