• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Circa 1976

121 posts in this topic

1976...turned 7 years old...I remember my elementary school planted a big rectangular garden with blue, white, and red flowers to become the American flag in the springtime in honor of the Bicentennial.

My teacher that year was Mrs. King, who told me that first graders don't cry after I started getting teary about how much I had to catch up on when my parents took me out of school for a week to visit my grandparents.

That summer I read my first comic books ever at my brother's friend's house over on Colorado Street. Hulk #199 and Fantastic Four #172...changed my life forever, as you can see from nearly nine years on these boards.

Great year.

Dan

......I caught ZZ Top in concert and they were still wearing jeans and flannel shirts...." I could tell that they was mine....by the oil and the gasoline." :headbang: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I was only 3 when '76 whizzed past, but one of my honest to goodness first memories was in '76 sitting on My aunt's knee watching the remake of King Kong in the theater. Blew my little mind, probably why I have the memory still.

Still love that truly horrible film and man oh man the comics ruled too.

When I think of that year I think of the marvel titles like Showcase, premiere, etc. Love those crazy covers.

I was born in 1976! :acclaim:

I got to enjoy FOUR whole days of that year! :cloud9:

That's ok. I enjoyed the rest of them for you. (thumbs u

You youngens missed out on a great time. Charlie's Angel's t-shirts, Farrah posters, feathered hair and bell bottoms. Also the early years of Members Only jackets. (worship)

.....a gallon of gas ? 38 cents. ....a movie ? 1 dollar.......large combination Italian Pizza ? 4 dollars....pack of smokes ? 50 cents.....comic book ? 35 cents.....high grade FF # 1 ? 500 dollars.....brand new Mustang ? 2500 dollars.....brand new house on the water ? 80 K.......what the heck happened ? GOD BLESS...

P.S. Minimum wage ? $2.35.....which was about 13 dollars today.

1976 was truly a great time,listening to Foghat-Slowride on the radio while driving your Trans Am,The big Bicentennial celebrations along with the Olympics,mutten chop sideburns,and that Farrah poster....yeah buddy!

farrah-fawcett.jpg

You youngens missed out on a great time. Charlie's Angel's t-shirts, Farrah posters, feathered hair and bell bottoms. Also the early years of Members Only jackets. (worship)

.....a gallon of gas ? 38 cents. ....a movie ? 1 dollar.......large combination Italian Pizza ? 4 dollars....pack of smokes ? 50 cents.....comic book ? 35 cents.....high grade FF # 1 ? 500 dollars.....brand new Mustang ? 2500 dollars.....brand new house on the water ? 80 K.......what the heck happened ? GOD BLESS...

1976 was truly a great time,listening to Foghat-Slowride on the radio while driving your Trans Am,The big Bicentennial celebrations along with the Olympics,mutten chop sideburns,and that Farrah poster....yeah buddy!

farrah-fawcett.jpg

Is it cold in here or is it just her? hm

You can pick meat out of your teeth with that. :whee:

farrah-fawcett.jpg

Best poster -- EVER!

I had a scooby doo lunch box and I believe that was the year I was watching Battle of the Planets on TV after school.

I had a big wheel and nowhere to really ride it (we had a 1000 yard dirt driveway on a farm) ....and I was stil figuring out how to (not dribble) the flat (or SOFT, really) basketball that my parents got me for Christmas 2 years earlier.

AND....1976 was also the year we got our first Zoomie. Yay.

And if you have to ask me what a Zoomie is, those are the people my folks took care of IN OUR HOME....on an outpatient basis from the local mental hospital.

Don't ask.

This is a better representation.

http://www.timespell.com/zoomies/ZOOMIES.swf

farrah-fawcett.jpg

Best poster -- EVER!

Agreed. I was attracted to that poster before I even knew WHY I was attracted to that poster. :luhv:

1976:

I remember KDNL TV Channel 30 on the UHF band showing Johnny Sokko, Speed Racer and Ultraman.

I remember playing Baseball in the spring and summer and football in the fall and winter pretty much EVERYDAY.

I remember shoveling a neighbors drive way so I could go buy the Spider-man vs Superman Treasury Edition.

I remember a friend and me riding our bikes over the closed down Chain of Rocks bridge and the big holes in it that you could look down and see the Mississippi River below. (5 years later they would film some scenes for the movie Escape from New York here. Yes. Snake Plissken came to St. Louis. )

I remember that fall, as my step dad would fall asleep in his chair during the news, my mom would let me turn the TV to watch Saturday Night Live.

I remember how HUGE the Olympics were. Bruce Jenner and Nadia Comaneci taking the gold in Montreal.

I was 10 at the time and my folks bought me a couple of comics from time to time at the grocery store. Little did I know that a year later I would buy my first comic with my lawn mowing money and that would lead me down a path of buying for a lifetime. The book was Star Wars 1. A couple of months after my purchase a family friend who I found out had 20,000 comics asked me if I was "into" comics. After he told me a 30 cent purchase was now worth over $10 or $20 (or whatever the number was), I was hooked. From age 11 to 18 I was always buying something. Once I got to college my priorities shifted. Only in the last year did I get back into the hobby and I have the same addiction that I did when I was age 10-18 now, probably moreso. My focus back then was better than it is now. Now I just buy what I like and enjoy it even more.

I was four in '76 so my earliest memories are from this year.

I remember the drought and heat - we had stand pumps in the village to fetch water! (Ha, sounds like 1876)

My first memories of 'culture' are from this year. I had not yet been to the movies, don't remember any TV and didn't yet like football.

But i do remember music on the radio (Abba and Pussycat) but most of all I remember comics from that time - M2in1 20 Power Man 37 DD 139 etc. these are the comics I look back upon now with fondest memories :cloud9:

The Farrah poster and a t-shirt

Playing pinball

.15 for a pack of baseball cards (that might've been '75 but anyway)

Drake Fruit pies (makes you want to cry)

Fruit stripe gum

Slurpees

Comics off the spinner racks

Life was grand

Married, service, kids, mortgage.

Met most of the original Houston comic book guru's for the first time.

Watching tv on a 13" B&W set.

Buying comics from drug stores, super markets, and mom and pop stores.

Owned a '71 Cougar, 74 Mustang II, '74 Roadrunner.

I was only 3 when '76 whizzed past, but one of my honest to goodness first memories was in '76 sitting on My aunt's knee watching the remake of King Kong in the theater. Blew my little mind, probably why I have the memory still.

Still love that truly horrible film and man oh man the comics ruled too.

When I think of that year I think of the marvel titles like Showcase, premiere, etc. Love those crazy covers.

I always liked that King Kong .....saw it at the drive in with my 3rd heartbreak. I didn't see anything that horrible about Jessica Lange's 6 foot long thighs (shrug) ....and I didn't hear anyone mention Foozball tables, Frisbees, or Birdwells yet. GOD BLESS....

1976 - I was 19 and on the road, traveling across Canada in a rock band. Didn't really anticipate that I'd make a career out of it, but I ended up working as a professional musician for the next 14 years.

Here's a pic from the 1976 east coast leg of our never-ending tour. Me as a hood ornament.

THEROAD.png

I remember that car well. Later that year, in the dead of winter, we were back home on Hwy 401 from a gig in Kingston, Ontario when we heard a huge bang and turned around to see the rear windshield flying through the air behind us. We pulled over and spent ages meticulously replacing the missing rear window with plastic sheeting, taping it in place with grey gaffer (duck) tape. We got back in the car, slammed the doors... forgetting that slamming the door would create air pressure inside the car... which popped the seal on the plastic sheeting. We were so exhausted, we gave up, turned the heat up full, and drove the rest of the way home with the sheeting flapping in the wind behind us.