• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry Set Polls

208 posts in this topic

Isn't it Neal Adams?

:sumo:

:tonofbricks:

What? I voted yes just so I could have a set and call it "The Expanding Earth."

I would split it into two sets, Marvel and DC, since it's a rather large set for a niche collection. .

Expanding Earth. lol

Glad to see everyone here is cooperating. Any negative votes to the set and me and Neil are gonna come to your house and beat you up. May even sic a dog/horse on you.

Man, I'd give my eye teeth to change my vote. That sounds too good to miss.

Glad to see everyone here is cooperating. Any negative votes to the set and me and Neil are gonna come to your house and beat you up. May even sic a dog/horse on you.

Man, I'd give my eye teeth to change my vote. That sounds too good to miss.

It was the horse that swung it, right?

• Administrator

Is he bringing his guitar?

neil_adams.jpg:slapfight::ohnoez:

Other sets for those that collect Adams genres rather than all DC/Marvel that would make nice registry sets:

Horror (House of Mystery / Secrets / Unexpected / Phantom Stranger, etc...)

Batman (Detective / Batman / Brave and the Bold, Justice League?, World's Finest?)

Superman ( Action / Superman / Superboy, Justice League?, World's Finest?)

Superman's friends ( Lois Lane / Jimmy Olsen)

All non-marvel / DCs covers

Continuity / PC comics

Modern set

I would think the Batman set would get the most action in the registry, as those are the most popular. Logical choice for a set. Other suggestions? (thumbs u

Other sets for those that collect Adams genres rather than all DC/Marvel that would make nice registry sets:

Batman (Detective / Batman / Brave and the Bold, Justice League?, World's Finest?)

Continuity / PC comics

Modern set

I would think the Batman set would get the most action in the registry, as those are the most popular. Logical choice for a set. Other suggestions? (thumbs u

Out of all of those the Batman set will likely have some legs I think, not sure about the others. Better off not mentioning it though, there are many who only like collecting the Bat books and a combo set will have those nasty people going after some Tecs also.

Continuity / PC comics

Modern set

Out of all of those the Batman set will likely have some legs I think, not sure about the others. Better off not mentioning it though, there are many who only like collecting the Bat books and a combo set will have those nasty people going after some Tecs also.

The initial set that mrlatko worked on had 665 covers. That was everything up and into years 2010.

Continuity / PC comics

Modern set

The initial set that mrlatko worked on had 665 covers. That was everything up and into years 2010.

That's why I think smaller sets that are actually realistic to complete would be appealing. Whoever finishes the massive Marvel/DC set automatically gets a comic collecting lifetime achievement award. Adams Horror or Batman would be much more attainable as a collecting goal.

The benchmark for a good set is participation by multiple folks. To me the perfect example of a great set here is the Dave Stevens cover set. That will get a lot of traction. And it will get a lot of traction in multiple ways. I believe there will be very stiff competition among the denizens of the I Miss Dave (Stevens) thread, but it will also be a place for folks to park their books in the Registry if they have a favorite series or a couple of favorite covers.

Completely agree Sean. Further, it will drive a lot of DS cover collectors to start slabbing their books as it seems that most of the books posted in the I Miss Dave (Stevens) thread are raw outside of the occasional Airboy 5 or Alien Worlds 4 slab. Another plus for CGC adding this set.

I have a question... what is the board's definition of a vanity set? :shrug:

By definition, couldn't virtually all sets in the registry, which aren't 'pure' numbered, single-title series or mini-series, be considered 'vanity sets'?

(Don't see anything negative about this by the way, just thought the simpler and less prone to interpretation the definition the better)

I have a question... what is the board's definition of a vanity set? :shrug:

To me, it is a set that no one else in the world other than the requester would give a squirt about. Let's say it is a four book set. A perfect example is if there are only a couple of copies of each of the books, or god forbid, only one, it is a vanity set. The only reason anyone wants it is so they can be number one in the registry (at least for a while).

Also to me, there is nothing wrong with requesting a vanity set. But when there are a lot of people wanting to keep sets updated, and to get sets started for popular new modern series, it is easy to understand why folks get frustrated when the guy that just slabbed the only three copies of Doiby Dickles Chuckle Hut Classics requests that a set get made for them.