• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May Featured Auction did you win or lose

256 posts in this topic

I`ll never understand your thought process, though, Roy. If you`re willing to pay $25K or higher for the book, for the miniscule amount of effort it takes to input your bid, why not at least put in a bid? Everything to gain, and nothing to lose. (shrug)

He's probably like me--can't imagine bidding if it's not a snipe. :shy:

That's exactly it.

I prefer sniping for various reasons and last night was just a busy night. Had a lot on my plate and couldn't follow all the books I wanted to.

(thumbs u

I'm exactly the opposite...since my bids tend to be lowballs, I can always set them well ahead of time and "walk away". I only snipe if its something I REALLY want, and that's pretty rare.

I think its interesting to see how some of the "upgrade" issues fared...the JIM # 98 9.6 Green River (formerly a 9.4) finished at a shade under $2,000, which is the neighborhood where the 9.4s from that part of the run (#97, 98, 99) also finished ($1,600-$1,910).

Overall, I won a single book last night, and most of my bids were thoroughly demolished. Not much left comicwise tonight, save the Thor and X-Men runs....and not a whole lot of "must haves" in the art section either.

I think its interesting to see how some of the "upgrade" issues fared...the JIM # 98 9.6 Green River (formerly a 9.4) finished at a shade under $2,000, which is the neighborhood where the 9.4s from that part of the run (#97, 98, 99) also finished ($1,600-$1,910).

Overall, I won a single book last night, and most of my bids were thoroughly demolished. Not much left comicwise tonight, save the Thor and X-Men runs....and not a whole lot of "must haves" in the art section either.

You sound VERY highly engaged in this auction for someone exiting the hobby. hm:baiting:

You sound VERY highly engaged in this auction for someone exiting the hobby. hm:baiting:

Geez, a guy says he's taking a break, and everyone is in a rush to throw him out the door and take away his keys.

BTW, your new GIF has reached an all-time low. I think Arch might take exception to it. So, when it comes to exits from these Boards, you might be gone sooner then I am. lol

BTW, your new GIF has reached an all-time low. I think Arch might take exception to it. So, when it comes to exits from these Boards, you might be gone sooner then I am. lol

AGREED! I knew when putting it up it'd only be there for a short time. It's a commercial they'd show on network television during prime time but not during Saturday morning cartoons. :blush:

GL#76 CGC 9.8 gets killed at just under $16K [which is more than this book is worth IMO]. Previous 9.8 sale $37K. :tonofbricks:

The book is in a serious downtrend in ultra-HG right now.

I hope it is on a serious downtrend even in your basic HG as well. Hopefully it will crash after the movie, so that I can finally afford one. Don't get left holding the bag, collectors :lol:

I`ll never understand your thought process, though, Roy. If you`re willing to pay $25K or higher for the book, for the miniscule amount of effort it takes to input your bid, why not at least put in a bid? Everything to gain, and nothing to lose. (shrug)

He's probably like me--can't imagine bidding if it's not a snipe. :shy:

If you don`t think it has a chance of winning anyways, why wait to snipe? As I understand the theory behind sniping, which I`m pretty skeptical of, the main reason to do it is to prevent people from walking up your bid. But if you think your $25K bid is going to be well short of the final winning bid anyways, put it in at the outset because getting walked up isn`t really much of a risk.

It`s important not to be too wed to one tactic and to be able to adjust one`s methods for each situation.

It`s important not to be too wed to one tactic and to adjust one`s methods for each situation.

True enough, only it didn't dawn on me that the book would end at only $25K, which is what it sat at after I got outbid on earlier in the week.

:applause:

If you don`t think it has a chance of winning anyways, why wait to snipe? As I understand the theory behind sniping, which I`m pretty skeptical of, the main reason to do it is to prevent people from walking up your bid. But if you think your $25K bid is going to be well short of the final winning bid anyways, put it in at the outset because getting walked up isn`t really much of a risk.

It`s important not to be too wed to one tactic and to be able to adjust one`s methods for each situation.

Every person who bids has shown their hand as an interested party in a book. More bids means higher prices. Swooping in at the last second means less information for everyone else to base their bidding upon. The higher the price of the book, the more important sniping is to minimize the price you pay by reducing the number of people trying to climb to the top. I want everyone I beat going "oh, shiznit" at the end, not "I wonder what his max bid is" at any point before the end. There are plenty of directions a bidder can go in based upon some early bid, some of which are good for my odds at winning, some of which are bad...but the majority of the possible lines of thought another bidder can go down are bad for me as the early bidder. :eek:

Early bids are information. I prefer to deny information to the competition. :devil:

Every person who bids has shown their hand as an interested party in a book. More bids means higher prices. Swooping in at the last second means less information for everyone else to base their bidding upon. The higher the price of the book, the more important sniping is to minimize the price you pay by reducing the number of people trying to climb to the top. I want everyone I beat going "oh, shiznit" at the end, not "I wonder what his max bid is" at any point before the end. There are plenty of directions a bidder can go in based upon some early bid, some of which are good for my odds at winning, some of which are bad...but the majority of the possible lines of thought another bidder can go down are bad for me as the early bidder. :eek:

Early bids are information. I prefer to deny information to the competition. :devil:

I understand this thinking and generally agree, but this was also the first auction where I was annoyed by what I saw as too-high bid increments. There were three separate books where I was willing to go $50 beyond the ultimate winning bid, but definitely not the $100 minimum (plus juice plus shipping).

So for the first time I tried "modified" snipes, where I'd bid my max with two minutes left, confident that it was the max I was willing to pay, but not wanting to lose out when someone else bid that amount first, and an additional $100 bid would represent $50 over what the book was worth to me.

I was annoyed by what I saw as too-high bid increments. There were three separate books where I was willing to go $50 beyond the ultimate winning bid, but definitely not the $100 minimum (plus juice plus shipping).

I didn't bid on a few books myself due to what I thought were high bid increments. I didn't think much about it at the time, but did they up their increments recently? I don't remember it affecting my bidding in the past, which could just mean I was more frugal than usual during this auction. hm

This is the part that has never made sense to me. I can understand if it`s some low profile book in some low profile auction and there`s a chance you can sneak away with something.

But suppose it`s a big book in a high profile auction, and the expected bidders are knowledgeable collectors/dealers? If 5 second before auction end the book is sitting at 50% of its expected final price, are you really going to put in a snipe in the last second that`s only one increment above the last price? Of course not, because you know that`s not going to win and you won`t have time to bid again. Therefore, when it comes time to snipe, isn`t everyone going to input their max bid anyways? For a big book with knowledgeable bidders, no one is setting their snipe bid amount based on the bidding action so far.

Put another way, say it`s a 9.4 AF 15. Whether I put in my bid of $300K at the beginning, in the middle, or at the last second is irrelevant. It`s going to hit $300K in the end anyways because at least 2 people will bid at least that much. The belief that waiting to bid until the last second is what won the book for me at $300K is illusory. The reason I will have won is that no one`s max bid was higher than my max bid.

I was annoyed by what I saw as too-high bid increments. There were three separate books where I was willing to go $50 beyond the ultimate winning bid, but definitely not the $100 minimum (plus juice plus shipping).

I didn't bid on a few books myself due to what I thought were high bid increments. I didn't think much about it at the time, but did they up their increments recently? I don't remember it affecting my bidding in the past, which could just mean I was more frugal than usual during this auction. hm

It definitely seemed like it! Like you, i dont remember ever having bid increments as an issue but there were at least 2-3 books i passed on last night because of the high bid increments.

But suppose it`s a big book in a high profile auction, and the expected bidders are knowledgeable collectors/dealers? If 5 second before auction end the book is sitting at 50% of its expected final price, are you really going to put in a snipe in the last second that`s only one increment above the last price? Of course not, because you know that`s not going to win and you won`t have time to bid again. Therefore, when it comes time to snipe, isn`t everyone going to input their max bid anyways? For a big book with knowledgeable bidders, no one is setting their snipe bid amount based on the bidding action so far.

Usually, yes. Sniping doesn't affect experienced or motivated bidders who are also going to type in strong bids. But you never know whether strong bidders are going to actually be there on any given auction. I just assume there's a chance they're not and snipe everything I can.

I hit on about 1 out of 3 books I could afford to bid on.

I finally snagged a low grade ASM 1 at a bit over FMV (oh well) doh!

ASM135ClinkMaywin.jpg

And some sweet pre-hero goodness

JIM20ClinkMaywin.jpg

JIM63ClinkMaywin.jpg

And these next two are my fav wins of all :cloud9: (just love the TOS 11 cover)

:whee:

TOS11ClinkMayWin.jpg

TOS13ClinkMayWin.jpg

I hope most of you got what you were after... especially the ones that beat me lol

Congrats on the books :applause: I haven't followed the Pre-Hero market in a while but it seemed to me that prices were pretty strong, especially for books in the 8.0-9.0 range (and I'm not talking about prototype issues, either)