• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May Featured Auction did you win or lose

256 posts in this topic

The J.I.M. #85 is already over $24K, wow.

I bid it up to $24K and someone outbid me. I figure if I won it at that price it would be a steal.

I hope Dale gets $40K for it but I just can't get past grease pen markings on high grade SA books. GA maybe but with SA there is always another copy that won't have it.

I bid it up to $24K and someone outbid me. I figure if I won it at that price it would be a steal.

I hope Dale gets $40K for it but I just can't get past grease pen markings on high grade SA books. GA maybe but with SA there is always another copy that won't have it.

Only 2 other copies, in this case. I feel the white page quality overwhelms the fugly grease pencil, however...Given than Tsimanga's 9.4 white pages copy was purchased for 20K over a year ago, I'd expect this copy to do very well.

Finding any copies above 8.0 on the market is difficult, but 9.4 or 9.6? If I owned a 9.4 I'd be thrilled. I'd also be taking the bus to get around instead of my car...

Underbidder on three mundane (but nice) FF's and winner of two, one at my max and one under it.

Missed out on that FF #12 in 7.5 (white pages) that looked STUNNING on the front cover. Anyone pick up that fine book?

Dan

I was following the FF's in the #30-40's in 9.4/9.6....really pretty books...The #33 looked particularly sharp for a 9.4

Only 2 other copies, in this case. I feel the white page quality overwhelms the fugly grease pencil, however...Given than Tsimanga's 9.4 white pages copy was purchased for 20K over a year ago, I'd expect this copy to do very well.

Finding any copies above 8.0 on the market is difficult, but 9.4 or 9.6? If I owned a 9.4 I'd be thrilled. I'd also be taking the bus to get around instead of my car...

Well that's where label chasing can cost a collector a fortune. I think Tsimanga offer his copy for $25K and personally I'd rather have a clean 9.4 vs a grease pen 9.6 (just my preference) plus maybe an extra $15K in my pocket. Especially today when books are being pressed relentlessly, you might think you have the highest graded copy one day and then the next thing you know there are two new 9.8's on the census.

Valid point. Tsimanga did offer it briefly for 25K on the boards, and it sure is purty:

JIM-85-94.jpg

The 9.6 seems brighter to anyone? That grease pencil makes me sad:

RADE47D3201144_133141.jpg

But I still want it, like Gollum wants The One Ring...Ahem...So if y'all want to drop out of the bidding now, I'll be happy to take it home...

Alas, I won't come close to winning this one. I'm hoping for a strong result to shake out the 9.0 and 9.2s into the marketplace...

Final price $25,250...So close. Some people must dislike grease pencil marks even more than I do...

"Buy the book, and not the label."

Underbidder on three mundane (but nice) FF's and winner of two, one at my max and one under it.

Missed out on that FF #12 in 7.5 (white pages) that looked STUNNING on the front cover. Anyone pick up that fine book?

Dan

I was following the FF's in the #30-40's in 9.4/9.6....really pretty books...The #33 looked particularly sharp for a 9.4

Yep, placed a strong bid (over GPA) on 33 and got blown out of the water.

I thought FF's were pretty strong -- the #33 was a high price, as was the White Mountain #36 and the #54 ($550). The #38 went for less than I thought, the #30 more than I thought. Both were excellent looking comics.

Biggest surprise to me was the #17 in 9.4 (Northland, white pages) only going for $4600 or something? I should have bid!

Dan

Bid early, bid often?

The ones I worry about are the folks who never post a word on the last day of the auction until after it's over. Then they take their victory lap...

Only after 2 lots now, and the clock's ticking down. :popcorn:

Bah! Underbidder on the Marvel Super-Heroes #20. I love the book, I think it is one of the finest Marvel covers ever, but I just can't bring myself to break the $300 dollar mark on a 9.6.

Interesting that the Showcase #79 is going to break GPA with cream/ow pages. This is another book that has a stunning cover.

thats a great book - under valued IMO. very common with cow or ow pages. even in high grade its very tough to find with White pages. actually with gpa at $114 in 9.2 that book seems like a steal

Interesting that the Showcase #79 is going to break GPA with cream/ow pages. This is another book that has a stunning cover.

It's a great cover!

(thumbs u