• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May Featured Auction did you win or lose

256 posts in this topic

Proud to say I did MANNUP for the Startling 11.

:acclaim:

50% over GPA for a sweet copy of a 60 year-old defunct character with a projected declining fan base!

:screwy:

That is the definition of MANNUP, right?

Congrats! I put in a bid aroudn GPA for it. Not even close!

Not much success for me tonight. I bid on a lot but the prices on the GA books was really strong. I did manage to win these. I guess it is a good night any time you win an arrow-to-the-throat cover.

RAD3BF2D2011510_104253.jpg

RADD14C02011425_92733.jpg

The 9.6 seems brighter to anyone? That grease pencil makes me sad:

RADE47D3201144_133141.jpg

The fact that it used to be a 9.2 is what makes me sad. The grease pencil is fine and doesn`t bother me in the least.

Final price $25,250...So close. Some people must dislike grease pencil marks even more than I do...

"Buy the book, and not the label."

Thankfully a little sanity prevailed thanks to the disclosure of the previous history of the book. I doubt the grease pencil factored in to the final price very much at all.

People were indeed "buying the book and not the label", and they were saying that the book ain`t a 9.6, regardless of what the label says.

Not much success for me tonight. I bid on a lot but the prices on the GA books was really strong. I did manage to win these. I guess it is a good night any time you win an arrow-to-the-throat cover.

RAD3BF2D2011510_104253.jpg

RADD14C02011425_92733.jpg

Suh...weeet! :applause:

GL#76 CGC 9.8 gets killed at just under $16K [which is more than this book is worth IMO]. Previous 9.8 sale $37K. :tonofbricks:

The book is in a serious downtrend in ultra-HG right now.

The fact that it used to be a 9.2 is what makes me sad. The grease pencil is fine and doesn`t bother me in the least.

Final price $25,250...So close. Some people must dislike grease pencil marks even more than I do...

Thankfully a little sanity prevailed thanks to the disclosure of the previous history of the book. I doubt the grease pencil factored in to the final price very much at all.

People were indeed "buying the book and not the label", and they were saying that the book ain`t a 9.6, regardless of what the label says.

Valid argument, true enough. I'm interested in seeing how that result impacts the other high grade copies of JIM #85 in the lower grades.

No matter how often I make the puppy dog face, the owners of the 9.0 to 9.4 graded copies are holding on to them. I would too, if I were them. Sigh...

Really strong results for the JIM #83 copies...

I'm a bit shocked at the low price. Grease pencil marking or not. I thought it was going to hit over 30k easy....

We'll, if people are looking for a nice JIM #85, without a grease pencil and unpressed, my 9.4 is going to be in the July CLINK auction... so save up... lol

I didn't bother watching much of tonight's auctions but if I knew that JIM #85 CGC 9.6 was going to end at $25,000 I'd have bid on it. That's going to be a $40,000-$50,000 book one day.

doh!

Proud to say I did MANNUP for the Startling 11.

:acclaim:

50% over GPA for a sweet copy of a 60 year-old defunct character with a projected declining fan base!

:screwy:

That is the definition of MANNUP, right?

I was the underbidder. You outMANNUPed me. :P

I didn't bother watching much of tonight's auctions but if I knew that JIM #85 CGC 9.6 was going to end at $25,000 I'd have bid on it. That's going to be a $40,000-$50,000 book one day.

doh!

Of course we don`t know if the winning bidder had a much higher max bid, so it might`ve taken a lot more than $25K to actually win the book.

I`ll never understand your thought process, though, Roy. If you`re willing to pay $25K or higher for the book, for the miniscule amount of effort it takes to input your bid, why not at least put in a bid? Everything to gain, and nothing to lose. (shrug)

See, they teach you to do that kind of cost-benefit analysis in college. :baiting:

I hit on about 1 out of 3 books I could afford to bid on.

I finally snagged a low grade ASM 1 at a bit over FMV (oh well) doh!

ASM135ClinkMaywin.jpg

And some sweet pre-hero goodness

JIM20ClinkMaywin.jpg

JIM63ClinkMaywin.jpg

And these next two are my fav wins of all :cloud9: (just love the TOS 11 cover)

:whee:

TOS11ClinkMayWin.jpg

TOS13ClinkMayWin.jpg

I hope most of you got what you were after... especially the ones that beat me lol

Sweet pre-heroes! :applause:

Holy , the Tales of Suspense #65 9.2 just ended at $2,100 !!!

Jim

Yeah, and the # 61 in 9.2/White ended at $950! :o

Considering a 9.4/White finished in the Pedigree auction last week for $726, I think someone overpaid.

I`ll never understand your thought process, though, Roy. If you`re willing to pay $25K or higher for the book, for the miniscule amount of effort it takes to input your bid, why not at least put in a bid? Everything to gain, and nothing to lose. (shrug)

He's probably like me--can't imagine bidding if it's not a snipe. :shy:

He's probably like me--can't imagine bidding if it's not a snipe. :shy:

That's exactly it.

I prefer sniping for various reasons and last night was just a busy night. Had a lot on my plate and couldn't follow all the books I wanted to.

(thumbs u