• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

Originally I thought that distributor spray was used to mark returns. Later on I learned that I Phil Seuling or maybe the other distributor company used distributor spray to mark what region of the country the books were going and that it speeded up the process. I seem to remember reading that certain colors marked what region of the country the books were going to.

bob

Here's what the spray was for... got it from the horse's mouth, in the form of an old girlfried my brother had who worked at the local magazine distrubutor for our area.

Comics were delivered weekly, so every week all the comics for that week leaving the distributor were given a shot of the same colour. When the arrived at the newsstands, the vendors could then quickly remove the books from the previous week, which had been sprayed with a different colour. So, for example, all of last week's 'red' books got pulled, and all this week's new 'blue' books got racked.

Make sense, as I have many books that I bought off the shelf from the same store in the 80s that exhibit a few different colours of overspray.

Man, I wish I could go back in time to that store!

Shep

This statement is correct.

The marks were used so the person in charge of rotating the books could easily identify which comics were to be pulled.

This kept them from having to go through and look at the cover dates. They could just look at the stack from the top, and pull all the red comics. (Or whatever color)

I don't know what type of ink/paint they used, but from what I understand it was water based, and did not have any tac. Meaning the comics did not stick together.

Something else to note is that the marks are still present on newsstand comics (to my knowledge, at least until a few years ago). But the marks are actually printed on the interior pages.

This practice started sometime in the '80s.

This eleminated the need for the ink spray at the top of the books.

Bob, there were also marks put on books that were returned. A little different than the ones used for the newsstand.

Our own David Dunbar could possibly be a sorce of more information on this topic.

gossip.gif

For the record, unless it's a major, major stain...An average distributor ink stain does not bother me at all.

I see nothing wrong with Sterling's book. Other than that issue is a [embarrassing lack of self control] to find with a perfect wrap and cut. frustrated.gif

Looks like whoever bought the pacific coast 176 cgc9.2 is looking for a quick flip. Its up on comiclink. I was hoping a collector bought this for his collection. I would have bought it for mine but someone beat me to it.

that'd be me...i bought it as a placeholder and have listed it on comiclink so i can cough up funds for a more grail-like book, the CGC 9.6 showcase 64 another forumite's got up on ebay now. the HOM is listed at 550 but i would sell to a board member at my actual cost of 402.25, which includes the paypal fees that PCEI assessed on my purchase. not worried about making a profit on it....doesn't it always go that as soon as you spend your $$$ on a filler to get by that something of great interest gets listed! timing! tonofbricks.gif

I don't know, if you consider these BA Horror but I figure what the heck. Let's start with the Spectre Adventure Covers I recently acquired:

Adventure #433

adventure_iss_433_fc.jpg

Adventure #434

adventure_iss_434_fc.jpg

Adventure#436

adventure_iss_436_fc.jpg

Edited by Timulty

Yeah, I am surprised on that one. I do have a fondness for HOS 106. I kinda like the knockers. devil.gif

Say, would you call that Good Girl Art for the Bronze Age? grin.gif

Edited by Timulty

Is that the 205 you got from me? That was my undercopy and it was very hard to let go. I have another one on the way. Its probably one of my favorite covers of the 20 cent covers. It is a hard book to find in vf and above.

House of Secrets 106 is one of my top 5 HofS covers. I love the colors and the way her face is drawn. I have been looking for a nm-copy for a very long time and have had no luck yet. I have a vf copy and that will do for now. Also another hard book to find in vf+ and above.

Is that the 205 you got from me? That was my undercopy and it was very hard to let go. I have another one on the way. Its probably one of my favorite covers of the 20 cent covers. It is a hard book to find in vf and above.

House of Secrets 106 is one of my top 5 HofS covers. I love the colors and the way her face is drawn. I have been looking for a nm-copy for a very long time and have had no luck yet. I have a vf copy and that will do for now. Also another hard book to find in vf+ and above.

Buck, the 106 is my favorite House of Secrets bronze cover too. I have a raw 9.6 that I bought about 2 years ago. It has a little discoloration on the top from the overspray, but it is not considered a defect. It is a smoking hot copy with NO stresses and super sharp corners and the back is just as clean. Pages are gorgeous. I will try to get a scan up and if I decide to sell it I will give you first shot.

Scott

Tim, that is a nice 205. That book is impossible to find in high grade, so I think you did quite well getting a book that looks presentable. The Adventure Spectre/Aparo run is one of my favorite runs in comics. I was very fortunate to pick up the 9.6 Rosa 431 last year. They are all awesome covers in my opinion. Congratulations on your buys!!

Scott

Buck, the 106 is my favorite House of Secrets bronze cover too.

I think I've posted this before 893blahblah.gif but does anyone else see a strong Steranko influence on the lady in white? Her face seems more graphically-stylized than a typical Wrightson of the period. And the shadowing is very Steranko noir-ish.

I agree with that one. She does have that Steranko feel. I have been sticking to buying decent DC Bronze Age Horror as I find them. I have runs that I want to complete such as Adventure 431-440, HOS 81-110 and HOM 179-214. These are the books, I remember reading as a kid. That and the Deadman Run on Strange Adventures.

Buck, the 106 is my favorite House of Secrets bronze cover too.

I think I've posted this before 893blahblah.gif but does anyone else see a strong Steranko influence on the lady in white? Her face seems more graphically-stylized than a typical Wrightson of the period. And the shadowing is very Steranko noir-ish.

Now that you mention it, she does resemble Viper from the Captain America run 110, 111, 113, especially the sequence where it shows her "origin" . Yes, I can definitely see where you could think that. Good eye.

Scott