• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,916 posts in this topic

For my 4500th post I shall offer a story I think has great possibility as being true. laugh.gif

When I Was selling off tons of my dupes before leaving New Orleans in August of 2005, I Sold a raft of them to "Neworleanscomics" an ebay seller who used to list whole runs of HOM & HOS all the time. Chris came to my apartment to pick up the books & we started shooting the te. It came up that he has sold an entire HOM run to Guillermo del Toro. Chris kept in touch with him after the sale and found out that Guillermo really wanted to make a film based on House of Mystery.

I hadn't thought much about that, until I got out of seeing Pan's Labyrinth last week. It was a great movie, sad, horrible, violent & beautiful, so I recommend to all! It then dawnwed on me there are some vague similarities to the Adams story in HOM 186, dealing with a child's belief in the faerie world & pan. Of course there are huge differences, but I believe he was so influenced by that story (Widely considered one of Bronze horror's best) that he wrote the -script for PL after reading it.

Anyoen else see the flick? Whatcha think?

For my 4500th post I shall offer a story I think has great possibility as being true. laugh.gif

When I Was selling off tons of my dupes before leaving New Orleans in August of 2005, I Sold a raft of them to "Neworleanscomics" an ebay seller who used to list whole runs of HOM & HOS all the time. Chris came to my apartment to pick up the books & we started shooting the te. It came up that he has sold an entire HOM run to Guillermo del Toro. Chris kept in touch with him after the sale and found out that Guillermo really wanted to make a film based on House of Mystery.

I hadn't thought much about that, until I got out of seeing Pan's Labyrinth last week. It was a great movie, sad, horrible, violent & beautiful, so I recommend to all! It then dawnwed on me there are some vague similarities to the Adams story in HOM 186, dealing with a child's belief in the faerie world & pan. Of course there are huge differences, but I believe he was so influenced by that story (Widely considered one of Bronze horror's best) that he wrote the -script for PL after reading it.

Haven't seen the movie but I recently reread that story in HofM and would certainly draw the comparison just from what I saw in the movie's previews. Great story... those damn HofM's are chalked full of horrific goodness..

Cool story, shiv. I'll need to check the movie out. Funny you mention that, I was reading my HOM showcase tonight...I'd love for there to be a HOM movie but only if they could somehow differentiate between the old house and the crypt. Hard I know, but we have Cain fercryinoutloud. Stuff like HOM are best suited as 30 minute episodes.Tonight I read:

SPOILER ALERT

B3111180-sm.jpg

House of Mystery #180

"Comes a Warrior"

Credits: Gil Kane (-script), Gil Kane (Pencils), Wally Wood (Inks)

My rating: star.gifstar.gifstar.gif

Synopsis:

A Conan-like character goes on a quest to kill the neighborhood dragon stalking the village. Unfortunately, doing so has dire consequences for mankind. Cain comes in with the cutsey remarks at the end.

"His name is Kane"

Credits: Mike Friedrich (-script), Gil Kane (Pencils), Wally Wood (Inks)

My rating: star.gifstar.gif

Synopsis: A spoof on Gil Kane (art by Kane on two stories in this issue) going berzerk in art world--he is getting tired of third rate inkers and editors. He must've had some stress that month b/c he was tearing into Orlando and company. Eventually he gets "sucked" into the pages and Cain unwittingly suffocates him by placing glass over the painting and placing it in the halls of the house. (I remember a similar story on a TFTC episode on HBO where a comic artist draws evil monsters that becomes real. His wife is a nag and he has a new love interest so he draws a monster to take care of biz).

B3111181-sm.jpg

House of Mystery #181

"Sir Greeley's Revenge!"

Credits: Otto Binder (-script), Frank Springer (Pencils), Frank Springer (Inks)

My Rating: star.gifstar.gifstar.gif

Synopsis: This story reminds me of A Christmas Story in reverse with a dash of Cinderella. A nice old man helps a young boy, but his greedy family is worried that their family wealth will be spent on this "rag boy". Accidents happen, but as like most Ghosts stories...the ghost wins out in the end-and the chosen one who receives the inheritence.

"The Siren of Satan"

Credits: Robert Kanigher (-script), Bernie Wrightson (Pencils), Bernie Wrightson (Inks)

My rating: star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif

Synopsis: An egyptian woman can only be loved by her god, and thus a curse of the ages by that jealous god prevents her from knowing true love...all her suitors are killed over the thousands of years. The final panels are classic as the last victim (at least in this story) is found by his wife. Very nice Wrightson art.

Pan's Labyrinth gets my vote as the best movie I've seen in several years (since City Of God, anyway) - I'm looking forward to getting it on DVD. For some reason Brits just can't do films like that...

As for the Pan tale in HOM 186, I remember reading that in the early 70s, and it has remained one of my favorite short stories in the medium. I'd say there's a definite influence - obviously Del Toro spliced this innocent fairy tale with gruesome violence, a historical backdrop and a great ensemble cast of adult characters, but it's there (well spotted!).

All of which is impressive when you consider that the HOM piece was only five or six pages long, but still managed to be very moving....

She got hips......and she knows how to use them...... yay.gif

Not for much longer if that cover is any indication.

Not to derail the thread but have you guys actually seen some of the Ripper victim photos? Pretty gruesome stuff.

That makes sense, because in reality they are different series. They stopped publishing in 2 gaps, first between #5 & 6 when it went down with the DC implosion, and again for some reason between #14 & 15. I guess sales weren't good so they stopped it again, and hence the issues would be harder to find.