• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,928 posts in this topic

Gang, What do you guys think about some of the Gold Key titles like:
  • Grimm's Ghost Stories
  • Ripley's Believe it or Not True Ghost Stories
  • Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery

I just perused some of the titles---love the painted covers, hate the obvious one liners on the covers ("The storm-lashed bay is haunted by the ghosts of--TWO KILTED SCOTSMEN!" for example--kills the moment), love the fact that many of my favorite DC artists are contained within (Dominguez, Mortimer, Sparling)....but are the stories decent?

If anyone can post a good story or two from these mags....a conversation or two...

Here's a copy I got off the newstand as a kid:

1251624-bion.jpg

No stories to post about yet but I do love these Gold Key/Whitman titles with the painted covers. cloud9.gif

Here are two recent purchases/upgrades. Seller said they were file copies.

Note: Getting this entire run in Gold Key only was a little tough but not too bad.

Issue # 15

1255277-UFO%26OuterSpace%2315.jpg

Issue # 16

1255277-UFO&OuterSpace%2316.jpg

589a8c45b1ba5_1255277-UFOOuterSpace16.jpg.adc690f3316e8c4121f58d209e3d4eb6.jpg

Note: Getting this entire run in Gold Key only was a little tough but not too bad.

I've always wondered about the Gold Key file copies, because they are everywhere! I have heard there are multiple full runs of Gold Key file copies in HG, all titles, all genres, etc.,. Anyone know any more about these? confused-smiley-013.gif

House of Mystery 190

Not the greatest wrap but at least its somewhat even. They went heavy on the inks and gloss on this copy.

HouseofMystery190.jpg

I assume you bought this off ebay maybe a year or so ago? Was this a SNE purchase? I have a couple with the arrival date just like that, don't remember exactly who was selling them but as I recall there were big runs of the early DC BA horror books (12-15 centers). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've always wondered about the Gold Key file copies, because they are everywhere! I have heard there are multiple full runs of Gold Key file copies in HG, all titles, all genres, etc.,. Anyone know any more about these? confused-smiley-013.gif

Don't have any info on the GK file copies but would like to know more.

Is this true for the Whitman versions of these books also?

Don't have any info on the GK file copies but would like to know more.

Is this true for the Whitman versions of these books also?

Not sure...I posted a question in the General Forum so we'll see if anyone can help us out. If history holds, there will be at least one seller at Heroes Con later this month with GK File Copies (10-20 copies of certain issues, unbagged, for like $5-20 a pop) and I'll inquire as to their origin. thumbsup2.gif

I assume you bought this off ebay maybe a year or so ago? Was this a SNE purchase? I have a couple with the arrival date just like that, don't remember exactly who was selling them but as I recall there were big runs of the early DC BA horror books (12-15 centers).

I thought I saw JScomics selling some with these kinda markings. However, I musta missed the boat because the ones I saw were all super-hero books.