• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,928 posts in this topic

You don't expect us collectors to act rationally, do you? screwy.gif

I get so tired of hearing this old saw. Every time someone mentions a crazy price, this bit of nonsense gets bandied about. So when someone spends $1,000 on a 10.0 modern, that makes sense because the REST of the hobby DOESN'T make sense? Every niche market has it's own barometer of what is "normal". Of couse if you step outside everything looks overpriced. What should I do? Ignore a crazy price and not comment on it because someone who doesn't know anything about comics can't tell the difference between this and any other $600 sale?

I get so tired of hearing this old saw. Every time someone mentions a crazy price, this bit of nonsense gets bandied about. So when someone spends $1,000 on a 10.0 modern, that makes sense because the REST of the hobby DOESN'T make sense? Every niche market has it's own barometer of what is "normal". Of couse if you step outside everything looks overpriced. What should I do? Ignore a crazy price and not comment on it because someone who doesn't know anything about comics can't tell the difference between this and any other $600 sale?

What "bit of nonsense" are you talking about here Andy? In the context of the prices that BA horror (and all BA DC's for that matter) are reaching these days, this price is not out of whack. Within this niche market, these prices are "normal". Is the PS 10 out of whack? Is the B&B 93 out of whack? Was the HoM 179 that sold for like fifteen hundred dollars out of whack? How about all the other 12 and 15-cent 9.4 and 9.6 DC horror books going for hundreds of dollars?

I don't know how long you've been collecting Andy, but the comic book market is now, and has always been, driven by the top end books. If you don't collect the top end b/c you think they're over-priced, of course you feel the prices are crazy, but if you collect the top end, the prices are in-line with what other top census books are bringing. It's all a matter of your perspective! 893naughty-thumb.gif

You guys know serpi is now a forumite here, yes?

A big contributor to the show us your 12/15/giant DC thread. hail.gif

Oh yeah....I'm waiting patiently in line for him to sell me his books... popcorn.gif

When I get back into collecting, of course. Christo_pull_hair.gif

What "bit of nonsense" are you talking about here Andy? In the context of the prices that BA horror (and all BA DC's for that matter) are reaching these days, this price is not out of whack. Within this niche market, these prices are "normal". Is the PS 10 out of whack? Is the B&B 93 out of whack? Was the HoM 179 that sold for like fifteen hundred dollars out of whack? How about all the other 12 and 15-cent 9.4 and 9.6 DC horror books going for hundreds of dollars?

I don't know how long you've been collecting Andy, but the comic book market is now, and has always been, driven by the top end books. If you don't collect the top end b/c you think they're over-priced, of course you feel the prices are crazy, but if you collect the top end, the prices are fine. It's all a matter of your perspective! 893naughty-thumb.gif

You are shifting gears pretty strongly here. So now you admit that there is a market and "normal" prices and that we aren't all just crazy collectors whose every purchase defies rational explanation? You can't have it both ways. Which is it? I took issue with your supposition that buying comics is inherantly irrational. If you want to talk about specifics books and prices that's fine, but that's not what I was talking about when I replied to you. The "bit of nonsense" I mentioned was the assertion that every comic purchase is an irrational one, no matter what.

13 years collecting, but I don't see how that is germane to the discussion. I know very well how the market operates, but thanks for the recap. yeahok.gif

I took issue with your supposition that buying comics is inherantly irrational.

Just like you feel someone spending $500+ on that book is irrational because you're not in that market, people that don't collect comics probably think spending more than 20 bucks on a comic book is screwy.gif.

Just like you feel someone spending $500+ on that book is irrational because you're not in that market, people that don't collect comics probably think spending more than 20 bucks on a comic book is screwy.gif.

Not in what market? These are all comics. If I own high grade bronze is that good enough? Do I have to own high grade bronze slabs? No? How about high grade bronze horror Phantom Stranger slabs?

I don't know how long you have been collecting Mike, but the CGC multiples have only been around for a few years. The jury is still out on whether or not it will all last.

Not in what market? These are all comics. If I own high grade bronze is that good enough? Do I have to own high grade bronze slabs? No? How about high grade bronze horror Phantom Stranger slabs?

I don't know how long you have been collecting Mike, but the CGC multiples have only been around for a few years. The jury is still out on whether or not it will all last.

Personally I think the prices are a little scary. I'm trying to offset it with more Golden age buying.

If I hadn't paid $325 for a killer HOM 190 9.2 and picked up a Catman 28 4.0, I would of tried harder for a couple for those Phantom Stranger 9.6's. There are so many temping books out there.

Edited by Ripatwork

All comic books $1 each...let's start over.

Recently someone on the boards made the comment that many of the pre75 DC horror books may only have a single 9.6 or 9.4 as highest graded. I think this will become reality in the years ahead and a few books may only have a 9.2 as highest graded. It will be interesting to watch.

Your joking right?? DC horror has always been on the map, it's only a matter of ever accruing time that they trickle into the 'laborochtory', and ever persistantly watch those 9.6's, 9.4's,and 9.2's be joined by their 3rd, 4th, ..and 10th sibling.

Only pre 66' books are outside the the mentality of mass collection. Hence why early Silver age keys have always been stratospheric in price. Bronze is great, but only for the truly scarce material over the long run. HOS, HOM as a run would not be included in that thinking. Yes there will be the odd issue, and every run has it's achilles heel for collectors, but we'd be talking one or two books at best.

Bronze is great, but only for the truly scarce material over the long run.

And even the "scarce" material is becoming more available. That's not my motivation for collecting it anyway, but the first of both HOM and HOS still are difficult to find in HG with ease. Anyone like me collecting it is for the love of the series/genre...I'm paying little attention to the value side of the equation, other than acquisition costs should be better managed. Everyone likes to maximize value.

Scarcity means little if there's no interest. How many want a HG Ghastly Tales #70? Even if you own the only HG copy, it doesn't matter if there's no interest. So, from that standpoint I am optimistic that the interest in BA horror has its stock increased in recent years. As with all stocks, it will rise and fall.