• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,909 posts in this topic

Ok, due to the "interest" in this thread, I went back and read the "I...Vampire" run. It's worth reading. It has a slight twist from most vampire stories. I would say the art throughout is less than impressive, even from Kubert. I found most of the covers to be interesting though. Most didn't seem to relate to something that actually happened in that issue. Some would be close, or similar, but some wouldn't have anything to do with the story. It was almost like the artist had free reign to do whatever they wanted involving Bennett, but the cover still wasn't very good.

Anyway, here's the important stuff. What are a vampire's powers and weaknesses in the DC universe as best as I can recall.

Superhuman strength: Yes

Change to:

Mist: Yes

Bat: Yes

Wolf: Yes

Rat: Yes

Other animals: Likely

Death when exposed to sunlight: Yes

Pain or death when exposed to UV weapons: Yes

Death by wooden stake through heart: Yes, but sometimes not immediate and can be fully healed if the stake is removed quickly enough. Without giving too much away, this was slightly ambiguous.

Death from decapitation: Unknown

Death from drowning: I will call this Unknown. However, it is clear that vampires can stay underwater for extended periods of time without harm

Crossing running water: Unknown

Mind control and power of suggestion over humans: Yes

Pain from exposure to a cross: Yes ( I don't think the Star of David and other symbols were covered)

Turn humans to vampires from bite: Yes, after 3 days typically.

Prefer to sleep in coffin: Yes (Although the vampire's native earth is not addressed to my recollection)

Sexy Time: Yes!

Procreation: Unknown

Shows up in pictures or film: No

Reflection in mirror: I don't remember this being addressed.

Silver Bullets: Extremely painful and likely fatal if a vital organ is struck

Regular Bullets:  No harm

Will drink alcohol: Yes (That's not something that is typically addressed in vampire stories, but if you want to have a drink with one in the DC Universe, you might be able to.)

Growing Weakness Without drinking or ingesting Blood: Yes (Blood transfusions are also possible. Yes, this was shown.)

Death without Blood: Probably

Older vampires being stronger than younger vampires and males being stronger than females: I don't think this was really covered. Turing a human did seem to give that vampire some control/dominanace over the turned vampire though.

So, that's how I see Andrew Bennett and the I...Vampire run. If you recall any of my info being incorrect or can add something that was addressed in the story, please chime in! You can buy a full color trade on Amazon for close to $10. I did enjoy the story and will say it is worth the read.

10 hours ago, electricprune said:

Ok, due to the "interest" in this thread, I went back and read the "I...Vampire" run. It's worth reading. It has a slight twist from most vampire stories. I would say the art throughout is less than impressive, even from Kubert. I found most of the covers to be interesting though. Most didn't seem to relate to something that actually happened in that issue. Some would be close, or similar, but some wouldn't have anything to do with the story. It was almost like the artist had free reign to do whatever they wanted involving Bennett, but the cover still wasn't very good.

Anyway, here's the important stuff. What are a vampire's powers and weaknesses in the DC universe as best as I can recall.

Superhuman strength: Yes

Change to:

Mist: Yes

Bat: Yes

Wolf: Yes

Rat: Yes

Other animals: Likely

Death when exposed to sunlight: Yes

Pain or death when exposed to UV weapons: Yes

Death by wooden stake through heart: Yes, but sometimes not immediate and can be fully healed if the stake is removed quickly enough. Without giving too much away, this was slightly ambiguous.

Death from decapitation: Unknown

Death from drowning: I will call this Unknown. However, it is clear that vampires can stay underwater for extended periods of time without harm

Crossing running water: Unknown

Mind control and power of suggestion over humans: Yes

Pain from exposure to a cross: Yes ( I don't think the Star of David and other symbols were covered)

Turn humans to vampires from bite: Yes, after 3 days typically.

Prefer to sleep in coffin: Yes (Although the vampire's native earth is not addressed to my recollection)

Sexy Time: Yes!

Procreation: Unknown

Shows up in pictures or film: No

Reflection in mirror: I don't remember this being addressed.

Silver Bullets: Extremely painful and likely fatal if a vital organ is struck

Regular Bullets:  No harm

Will drink alcohol: Yes (That's not something that is typically addressed in vampire stories, but if you want to have a drink with one in the DC Universe, you might be able to.)

Growing Weakness Without drinking or ingesting Blood: Yes (Blood transfusions are also possible. Yes, this was shown.)

Death without Blood: Probably

Older vampires being stronger than younger vampires and males being stronger than females: I don't think this was really covered. Turing a human did seem to give that vampire some control/dominanace over the turned vampire though.

So, that's how I see Andrew Bennett and the I...Vampire run. If you recall any of my info being incorrect or can add something that was addressed in the story, please chime in! You can buy a full color trade on Amazon for close to $10. I did enjoy the story and will say it is worth the read.

Thank you for the recommendation, electricprune.  I...Vampire sounds like a very interesting series.  I particularly like the way that you presented it.  It reminds me of something that I could have read in a Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook.

3 hours ago, Likefro said:

Nice write up pruney. I'm amazed that I Vampire went 30 issues. That's a pretty impressive run.

Thanks! Many of the issues were not devoted entirely to the I...Vampire story. So, some issues literally only had 5 or 6 pages for the storyline.

I'm going to reread Stoker's Dracula starting today and may actually take notes about traits of Stoker's vampires, and possibly Dracula's as he likely has powers most other vampires either don't have or only have to a lesser extent. I haven't read it in 30 years, so I've forgotten many of those details. Then I guess I'll have to reread Tomb of Dracula, watch Lost Boys, watch the Twilight series, see if I can find the Hellsing Manga and Anime series. WTH, that barely scratches the surface!

4 minutes ago, electricprune said:

4 hours ago, Likefro said:

Nice write up pruney. I'm amazed that I Vampire went 30 issues. That's a pretty impressive run.

Thanks! Many of the issues were not devoted entirely to the I...Vampire story. So, some issues literally only had 5 or 6 pages for the storyline.

I'm going to reread Stoker's Dracula starting today and may actually take notes about traits of Stoker's vampires, and possibly Dracula's as he likely has powers most other vampires either don't have or only have to a lesser extent. I haven't read it in 30 years, so I've forgotten many of those details. Then I guess I'll have to reread Tomb of Dracula, watch Lost Boys, watch the Twilight series, see if I can find the Hellsing Manga and Anime series. WTH, that barely scratches the surface!

There was also a movie or perhaps a tv series (thinking True Blood) that touched on a quirky Vampire trait of having an unnatural compulsion to have to count items. The scene I remember seeing is where someone wanted to slow down a vampires advance and so left a box of matchsticks spilled on the floor. The Vampire had to stop and count them all upon seeing them! :insane:

5 hours ago, electricprune said:

Dracula is an incredible novel.

9 hours ago, electricprune said:

And don't forget to watch Let the Right One In! (the Swedish version with subtitles)

I thought it one of the best vampire movies I've seen, and it's packed with Vampire lore.

Let-the-Right-One-In-theearlyhour.com_.j

Well since we're on the topic of Vampire movies now, I would recommend What we do in the Shadows - for some laughs lol

image.jpeg

14 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

And don't forget to watch Let the Right One In! (the Swedish version with subtitles)

I thought it one of the best vampire movies I've seen, and it's packed with Vampire lore.

Let-the-Right-One-In-theearlyhour.com_.j

Yes! Enjoyed this more than the American remake Let me in! (thumbsu