• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGG (not CGC) holder professionally tested PLASTIC NOT ARCHIVAL!!!

411 posts in this topic

Patron: Is it safe to store a comic book in a bag or container made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC)?

Librarian 1: April 16, 2004

Dear Scott,

Avoid all plastics that have fillers, coatings, or UV absorbers.

Carrie Beyer

Preservation Directorate

Library of Congress

Washington, D.C. 20540-4560

cbey@loc.gov

Interesting...The eclipsepaper report (I think it was that one) mentioned that a UV screen was detected in all holders they tested, including CGC's. Yet Steve once told me months ago that the CGC holder does NOT have a UV screen. So two questions come up now: does it or doesn't it? And if so, does the LOC response indict that as a poor feature of a CGC slab, showcase sealer, etc.?

I think you might be confusing the Barex inner well (the part that actually touches the comic) with the outer plexiglass/plastic, which may or may not have UV screen protection. I had always thought (though I don't recall where I got the idea) that the outer CGC shell had some UV protection.

Patron: Is it safe to store a comic book in a bag or container made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC)?

Librarian 1: April 16, 2004

Dear Scott,

Avoid all plastics that have fillers, coatings, or UV absorbers.

Carrie Beyer

Preservation Directorate

Library of Congress

Washington, D.C. 20540-4560

cbey@loc.gov

Interesting...The eclipsepaper report (I think it was that one) mentioned that a UV screen was detected in all holders they tested, including CGC's. Yet Steve once told me months ago that the CGC holder does NOT have a UV screen. So two questions come up now: does it or doesn't it? And if so, does the LOC response indict that as a poor feature of a CGC slab, showcase sealer, etc.?

My pulse never went up a beat Joanna. Not a beat. 27_laughing.gif
Can you prove it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How about a graphic showing the changes in the heart rate during the "heated" exchange! insane.gif

chart.jpg

Joanna:

Yes. A somewhat disorienting change so soon after the other one, but definitely better. wink.gif At least now I won't be confused while reading your posts because I can't find the sarcasm.

Hi Clark hi.gif

You know, with that avatar, I keep thinking that I'm reading a Clark Khaos post. confused.gif

I've switched it to Xena. Is that better?

My pulse never went up a beat Joanna. Not a beat. 27_laughing.gif
Can you prove it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Let me introduce you to my Freestyle Runners Heart Rate Monitor. Keeps middle aged runners from training themselves into a stroke.

hrm.jpg

Looks like bondage equipment