• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Millie the Model

16 posts in this topic

I was just looking at the census and only ten issues from the 50's have been slabbed.

TEN?

There were 73 issues in the 50's!

How is that possible? It's not like Millie is some obscure title that no one cares about. In all these years ONLY TEN numbers have been submitted?

Yeah, I know that there are lots of collectors who don't get their books slabbed, but in all these years dealers didn't have copies that they knew they could make more money off of slabbed than raw? The early ones have been slabbed (thanks to Church and the D books) but after that they disappear.

It's also interesting that on eBay there are rarely any 50's books. Right now there's ONE book for sale from the 50's - that's it!

Clearly Millie was a popular title for its genre so why are they so scarce?

why are they so scarce

Millie is some obscure title that no almost one cares about

I have a Millie or two in the collection but basically the books are cheap, demand is low and slabbing costs money and takes time.

I might also suggest that the post-1965 interest in superhero Marvel made period collectors search out and preserve the early issues.

Millie the Model; Modeling with Millie; Patsy Walker; Patsy and Hedy; Kathy, the Teenage Tornado: Linda Carter, Student Nurse; My Girl, Pearl and the great range of older Atlas and romance titles faded into obscurity. I am sure they were bought, read, enjoy, loved and then discarded after being well-worn -- a typical comic book life.

I believe that these titles (and Westerns) are pretty much more "alive" now, do to Board interest in the history of Marvel, than probably anywhere else.

And since I love these books and pictures, here's another chance to post this cover -- another Marvel hidden gem illustrating, from 1964, a lost "side" of the company.

K27FFeb64.jpg

why are they so scarce

Millie is some obscure title that no almost one cares about

I have a Millie or two in the collection but basically the books are cheap, demand is low....

Correct - because so many comic collectors behave like lemmings.

:tonofbricks:

And since I love these books and pictures, here's another chance to post this cover -- another Marvel hidden gem illustrating, from 1964, a lost "side" of the company.

K27FFeb64.jpg

Hopefully you're pecking away at completing the run.

(thumbs u

The 50's Millie books are very collectible for their Dan DeCarlo art. There just aren't that many copies in high grade so there are probably not many copies surviving that are worth having graded.

Millie collectors are often Archie collectors as well since Marvel hired almost all the major Archie artists of that era to make Millie look more like an Archie book.

In the 60's, Millie switched to a romance format which to me, just doesn't have as much collector appeal. Plus, Dan DeCarlo no longer did the work. It was mainly Stan Goldberg. His style plus the romance format just isn't the same.

For Dan DeCarlo's Marvel work though, I'd take My Friend Irma over Millie. I think that Stan wrote most of the stories for both series but the Millie stories were the same scenario over and over. Every story started with Millie and Chili sitting on their boss's desk. They have to compete for an assignment. Chili schemes to defeat Millie but Millie ultimately comes out on top because she's a good person. Stan rarely strayed from that formula.

The Irma characters were a little more fleshed out. Probably because it was a licensed character that had been developed for radio, movies, and tv so there had been more character development.

K27FFeb64.jpg

Most often, one of these books is seen and totally ignored, yet it was the same month that brought us these.......

comics-1.jpg

As a bit of a historian of Marvel Comics, I am going to be a bit of a pedant :shy: and note that Marvel, until 1971, always had two or more cover months in any one newsstand month. This became most apparent when Marvel began publishing Checklists in 1964 but had been evidenced in House Ads before this. This means that not all comics cover dated February 1964 were actually released together in the same newsstand month.

Taking a page from your book, (thumbs u I assembled covers of the books that were contemporaries with Kathy #27. These books were all released in December 1963 with February/March cover dates.

K 27; JIM 101; MwM 29; PW 113; TTA 53; and TGK 68 were all released on Monday, December 2, 1963.

ASM 10; FF 24; KCO 115; MtM 119; ST 118; and TOS 51 were all released Monday, December 9, 1963.

Dec63.jpg

Still great company for a fun book. :grin: I still believe that Tales of Suspense #51 had one of the best covers of the run -- and I'd love to have a copy of Patsy Walker #113 as I am a big Al Hartley fan.

That's a beautiful Millie! :applause:

I might also suggest that the post-1965 interest in superhero Marvel made period collectors search out and preserve the early issues.

Millie the Model; Modeling with Millie; Patsy Walker; Patsy and Hedy; Kathy, the Teenage Tornado: Linda Carter, Student Nurse; My Girl, Pearl and the great range of older Atlas and romance titles faded into obscurity. I am sure they were bought, read, enjoy, loved and then discarded after being well-worn -- a typical comic book life.

I believe that these titles (and Westerns) are pretty much more "alive" now, do to Board interest in the history of Marvel, than probably anywhere else.

K27FFeb64.jpg

I just picked up a huge run of Millie, almost all in high grade. Also some other teen humor. Got a beautiful copy of all the annuals, including the amazingly tough Annual #1. Steve Borrock said it is a 9.0/9.2.

Actually picked up a lot of Atlas stuff, from westerns to war to teen humor to horror/mystery. Probably 2 mag boxes all told and 90% of it in high grade.

I just picked up a huge run of Millie, almost all in high grade. Also some other teen humor. Got a beautiful copy of all the annuals, including the amazingly tough Annual #1. Steve Borrock said it is a 9.0/9.2.

Actually picked up a lot of Atlas stuff, from westerns to war to teen humor to horror/mystery. Probably 2 mag boxes all told and 90% of it in high grade.

Will you slab the best of them or sell them raw?

:cloud9:

Will you slab the best of them or sell them raw?

Haven't really had time to think about it yet. Too busy processing books. I bought almost 5 boxes of GA/50s books this weekend. Trying to get them ready for Philly.

In all likelihood, I will probably get some of them slabbed.

Hey Greggy, hope dale uses some lube.