• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANDOM
3 3

504 posts in this topic

Fanzines are always of interest to me Cat.

This arrived yesterday and I look forward to going through it in detail this weekend

fanzinepriceguide_zps3f997823.jpg

Hey, how did you get mail on MLK day? I got my e-mail notice that my copy was coming and was hoping it would arrive this weekend but no dice. Hopefully it is in the mail today.

It was on my desk at the office on Monday. So it either came Friday after I left or came Monday UPS

My copy arrived Tuesday. Looks like a nice improvement over the first edition. I haven't dug in yet but a quick review shows some interesting listings and an extensive inclusion of books on comics. Oddly didn't see the Steranko History of Comics listed although many other books from this era are in the listings.

Prices seem pretty high and likely a bit unrealistic as the market for much of this material is probably very spotty. Then again if you really wanted something it isn't too easy to find this material.

Didn't this hang in Bill Gaines office for years? I wonder who has it now? Maybe one of his children.

More Squa Tront:

The front cover painting of ST #5...

796108e3-989b-40c5-8dc7-1e898c45e645_zps046051a7.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]Art by Johnny Craig[/font]

I remember reading something about that painting being in Gaine's Office. It's probably in a private collection today.

...Sure wouldn't mind either of those paintings hanging in my office. :insane:

BTW, if I'm not mistaken that the voluptuous femme fatale sharing space with the Vault Keeper and various ghouls in Johnny Craig's painting on the back cover of Squa Tront #5 was intended as a host for a fourth EC horror title. Unfortunately, the Senate sub-committee hearings and CCA put an end to EC's horror lines before her title premiered.

22f048a1-bd78-4754-b0ca-a26b29111733_zps926131cb.jpg

What a cryin' shame. :cry:

Didn't this hang in Bill Gaines office for years? I wonder who has it now? Maybe one of his children.

More Squa Tront:

I remember reading something about that painting being in Gaine's Office. It's probably in a private collection today.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken that the voluptuous femme fatale sharing space with the Vault Keeper and various ghouls in Johnny Craig's painting on the back cover of Squa Tront #5 was intended as a host for a fourth EC horror title. Unfortunately, the Senate sub-committee hearings and CCA put an end to EC's horror lines before her title premiered.

Seems to me I saw a photo of Bill's office with that hanging up behind his desk. I will ask Grant Giessman next time I see him. He was personal friends of Gaines and Feldstein. Roger Hill would probably know too. I don't personally know him but have bought stuff from his eBay auctions.

Seems to me I saw a photo of Bill's office with that hanging up behind his desk. I will ask Grant Giessman next time I see him. He was personal friends of Gaines and Feldstein. Roger Hill would probably know too. I don't personally know him but have bought stuff from his eBay auctions.

I see Roger every year or so at The OAF cons, but I think everything we're discussing is well documented and researchable on-line.

BTW, do you own a set of the EC portfolios? They're full sized reproductions of original story art and Russ Cochran's first venture with Bill Gaines into bringing out the EC legacy to the fan market.

I see Roger every year or so at The OAF cons, but I think everything we're discussing is well documented and researchable on-line.

BTW, do you own a set of the EC portfolios? They're full sized reproductions of original story art and Russ Cochran's first venture with Bill Gaines into bringing out the EC legacy to the fan market.

No, I had them once but sold them when the hardcover book reprints came out.

I put this in my thread and the EC thread but thought it belonged here as well. This is the 1972 EC Fan Addict Convention Kit. This was held in New York and featured Gaines, Feldstein and ALL the EC folks except Ghastly I believe. This kit is complete even down to the un-used tickets. Now this would have been something to see. I was just a kid and didn't even know about it at the time.

ecconkit_zpshiseoyvl.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

Here are a few items from the San Diego con 2000 EC reunion. Not many original folks left by then but I do remember, Elder, Williamson, Kamen, both the Severins, Davis and a few more were there. It was the best SD Con I ever attended! The badge on the card were given to attendies of the dinner. The bigger silver badge was given to the special guests I believe. I got mine from Jack Karen who said he thought it might have more to me than it did to him. I was at his table and we had a lot of laughs. VERY cool guy!

ec2000kit_zpsvh8jvf1j.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

No, I had them once but sold them when the hardcover book reprints came out.

I still have my set, the first volume signed by Gaines. At one point Russ was trying to buy these back for more $$$. When I have time I'll take photos of 'em and post here.

EC's history after Bill Gaines ceased color comic book publication is fascinating. In the early 70's there were underground knock-offs, then the selective Gladstone reprints. The slipcased HC library that Russ Cochran put out is still the best way to view the original art. Russ also released Mad as a color set (I have Vol. I & IV, but waited too long to acquire the other two). Those are superb. Wish he'd gone with a color version for all of the slipcased library editions.

The licensed reissues of the entire run (pre-trend, New Trend & New Direction lines) back in the early 90's were OK, but the kiddy fan art replacing the original letter pages and ads was a huge mistake, IMO.

Unfortunately, the recent HC Archives with digitally enhanced colors and toning doesn't do the orig. art justice and I've ceased acquiring them.

Next up, Squa Tront #6 (FC)...

f_885963.gif

Here are a few items from the San Diego con 2000 EC reunion. Not many original folks left by then but I do remember, Elder, Williamson, Kamen, both the Severins, Davis and a few more were there. It was the best SD Con I ever attended! The badge on the card were given to attendies of the dinner. The bigger silver badge was given to the special guests I believe. I got mine from Jack Karen who said he thought it might have more to me than it did to him. I was at his table and we had a lot of laughs. VERY cool guy!

ec2000kit_zpsvh8jvf1j.jpg

Wow! What a story and a very cool item to go with it :)

More Squa Tront:

I think that's correct; Drusilla 1st appeared in Vault of Horror #37.

Front cover of Squa Tront #8...

d717f594-fd05-4f60-9f33-99b5498e0fc6_zps5493f05c.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]art by Jack Davis[/font]

I'll post the back cover tomorrow. That will end my Squa Tront run. There were more issues published, but as time went on Jerry had less involvement and the material seemed to move further away from direct connection with the original comics. Someday I'll acquire those as well, but this was where I stopped subscribing.

Still, a phenomenal publication that pushed the limits of what an impassioned fan could accomplish in the publishing business. :headbang: