• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANDOM
3 3

504 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2023 at 12:40 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Thanks for "treasurecting" this old thread. There are still Oklahoma based OAFcons (held in memory of the late Bart Bush) and Heritage hosts a one day get together in Dallas, Texas that's RSVP, there are also many SF cons that I've been involved with with a bit less emphasis on the comic collecting community.

I dined with Buddy Saunders, Bob Wayne, Bruce Shults, Paul McSpadden and several other friends in then Texas fan community (at El Fenix in Arlington) just last week. Alas, no photos were taken of this event that I'm aware of (at least no one has contacted me asking for money not to post 'em), but there might be some daguerrotypes originating from a get together next month as it'll be an August occasion.

Here's a photo I've posted before, perhaps elsewhere, relaxing with a fine brew at Downtown Johnny Brown's (a nice San Diego pub & restaurant that's sadly closed) while attending SDCC some years ago...

9773400A-7B78-43F3-9677-F69E7D279E8C_zpsbvu5btvw.thumb.jpeg.02f6917cd5c73702976b507528fdf3fa.jpeg

In any event, I invite others to hop back into the ol' Wayback Machine & contribute their fandom memories as well.

:cheers:

I remember my Sci Fi convention days with fondness.  We held a local show called Noncon for many years.  Also regularly attended Vcon in Vancouver - still going - Moscon, and some of the other shows in Western Canada and the US.  Coming from a very conservative background meeting all kinds of weird people at these shows was an eye opener.   We always had a bit of comic related stuff and I wonder how much overlap there is from Sci Fi fandom and Comic fandom.

On 7/17/2023 at 3:32 PM, thehumantorch said:

I remember my Sci Fi convention days with fondness.  We held a local show called Noncon for many years.  Also regularly attended Vcon in Vancouver - still going - Moscon, and some of the other shows in Western Canada and the US.  Coming from a very conservative background meeting all kinds of weird people at these shows was an eye opener.   We always had a bit of comic related stuff and I wonder how much overlap there is from Sci Fi fandom and Comic fandom.

The overlap from a collecting standpoint is simply that both have aged paper ephemera. Comic cons are more focused on the art side, with comic books, newspaper strips, premiums, etc., while SF cons focus more on books, paperback and pulps. The most interesting dynamic is the schism between fan bases. In the 60's and 70's comic cons attracted a more conservative fan base, GA through SA comics having a much clearer good verses evil perspective with fewer shades of grey. This kind of right/wrong, black and white POV appealed to a more reactionary audience, while SF conventions were amazingly progressive and cutting edge from my perspective. Many of the most adventurous SF novels and short stories from the 40's through the 60's dealt every conceivable shade of grey and explored where a utopian verses dystopian society might end up in the future. 

Flash forward to today and the audiences are almost the reverse of what they were. Today, it seems that many SF cons have become more conservative and set in their ways; there's an ongoing internal battle for the hearts and minds of SF fans on a variety of issues which I won't get into, but most fans know the stress points quite well. Basically, the SF fan base doesn't adapt well to changing times as opposed to the comic community. For decades comics have pushed the envelope as fertile ground for bold challenging ideas in a variety of formats and graphic novels and the fan base has been much more open to exploring those changes. While this polar flip was gradual and reflect changing tastes of authors and readership as someone with feet firmly planted in both worlds this dynamic shift has long fascinated me. 

Below is a rare photo procured from the web which I can't recall having posted in this forum before (if you've seen it somewhere before, just pretend it's newly discovered). I was invited to be part of opening ceremonies and give a speech as the only artist among distinguished authors that included my late wife Rachel Caine, Brian Hades, Robert J. Sawyer, Walter Jon Williams and Jack Whyte at the Calgary SF convention When Words Collide (Aug. 12-14, 2011)...

DSCN0003.jpeg.3287ef491eb047ea082f45f10ff9a104.jpeg

Unlike my wife and other scholarly scribes seated at the table who'd had time to prepare wonderful speeches for this event, my honor was impromptu since artists weren't anticipated at this convention. So, following the brilliant speeches of Walter Jon Williams, Jack Whyte, Robert J. Sawyer & Brian Hades, a slaughter destined lamb was under pressure to come up with 15 minutes off the top of my head!!! :ohnoez: 

That's me third from the end looking down the barrel of the literary giants preceding me; GOH Rachel Caine to my left (stage right) would follow, so I was perfectly situated in the rodeo clown seat to prepare the audience for the headliner. What I came up with was an anecdote about an unusual event that happened to us on the train trip to Canada.

As luck would have it, my ad libbed tale of the difference between "bare and bear" and Americans and Canadians elicited roars of laughter from the audience. :banana:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale added!

On 7/18/2023 at 1:00 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

The overlap from a collecting standpoint is simply that both have aged paper ephemera. Comic cons are more focused on the art side, with comic books, newspaper strips, premiums, etc., while SF cons focus more on books, paperback and pulps. The most interesting dynamic is the schism between fan bases. In the 60's and 70's comic cons attracted a more conservative fan base, GA through SA comics having a much clearer good verses evil perspective with fewer shades of grey. This kind of right/wrong, black and white POV appealed to a more reactionary audience, while SF conventions were amazingly progressive and cutting edge from my perspective. Many of the most adventurous SF novels and short stories from the 40's through the 60's dealt every conceivable shade of grey and explored where a utopian verses dystopian society might end up in the future. 

Flash forward to today and the audiences are almost the reverse of what they were. Today, it seems that many SF cons have become more conservative and set in their ways; there's an ongoing internal battle for the hearts and minds of SF fans on a variety of issues which I won't get into, but most fans know the stress points quite well. Basically, the SF fan base doesn't adapt well to changing times as opposed to the comic community. For decades comics have pushed the envelope as fertile ground for bold challenging ideas in a variety of formats and graphic novels and the fan base has been much more open to exploring those changes. While this polar flip was gradual and reflect changing tastes of authors and readership as someone with feet firmly planted in both worlds this dynamic shift has long fascinated me. 

Below is a rare photo procured from the web which I can't recall having posted in this forum before (if you've seen it somewhere before, just pretend it's newly discovered). I was invited to be part of opening ceremonies and give a speech as the only artist among distinguished authors that included my late wife Rachel Caine, Brian Hades, Robert J. Sawyer, Walter Jon Williams and Jack Whyte at the Calgary SF convention When Words Collide (Aug. 12-14, 2011)...

DSCN0003.jpeg.3287ef491eb047ea082f45f10ff9a104.jpeg

Unlike my wife and other scholarly scribes seated at the table who'd had time to prepare wonderful speeches for this event, my honor was impromptu since artists weren't anticipated at this convention. So, following the brilliant speeches of Walter Jon Williams, Jack Whyte, Robert J. Sawyer & Brian Hades, a slaughter destined lamb was under pressure to come up with 15 minutes off the top of my head!!! :ohnoez: 

That's me third from the end looking down the barrel of the literary giants preceding me; GOH Rachel Caine to my left (stage right) would follow, so I was perfectly situated in the rodeo clown seat to prepare the audience for the headliner. What I came up with was an anecdote about an unusual event that happened to us on the train trip to Canada.

As luck would have it, my ad libbed tale of the difference between "bare and bear" and Americans and Canadians elicited roars of laughter from the audience. :banana:

And you aren't going to share that tale?

On 7/18/2023 at 11:11 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

And you aren't going to share that tale?

Okay, I doubt it will be as funny without the descriptive visuals, but here goes; this is the abbreviated story...  

My wife and I were on an extended rail journey that included SDCC before the event in Calgary. While we were traveling by Amtrak via the California Zephyr west across the U.S. we encountered the strangest phenomenon in the Rockies. A large group of vacationers of both sexes standing on the bank of a river upon seeing our train pass nearby all turned toward the river in unison to drop their trousers mooning the train passengers!!!

While this was shocking and unexpected we assumed it must be some sort of ritual and chalked it up to an interesting experience associated with train travel. After attending San Diego ComicCon we spent another week in San Diego then boarded the Coast Starlight, traveling north for a couple of days through Oregon and Washington before changing trains again after crossing into Canada at Vancouver.

In Vancouver we booked passage on the luxurious Rocky Mountaineer that traveled east through several scenic parks. All of the upper deck seating throughout this train has a sky dome for spectacular views. The stewards ...in addition to serving four star meals and freshly prepared deserts... acted as guides, encouraging passengers to shout out whenever they spotted eagles, osprey or other animals so that passengers who brought cameras could capture mementos of the wonderful Canadian landscape to take back home.  

Alas, this provided the only disappointment on an otherwise delightful journey. While we saw majestic mountains, grand rivers, beautiful forests and an amazing variety of birds I never once had an opportunity to shout "BEAR" ...and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the biggest difference between Americans and Canadians.  

On 7/19/2023 at 3:53 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Okay, I doubt it will be as funny without the descriptive visuals, but here goes; this is the abbreviated story...  

My wife and I were on an extended rail journey that included SDCC before the event in Calgary. While we were traveling by Amtrak via the California Zephyr west across the U.S. we encountered the strangest phenomenon in the Rockies. A large group of vacationers of both sexes standing on the bank of a river upon seeing our train pass nearby all turned toward the river in unison to drop their trousers mooning the train passengers!!!

While this was shocking and unexpected we assumed it must be some sort of ritual and chalked it up to an interesting experience associated with train travel. After attending San Diego ComicCon we spent another week in San Diego then boarded the Coast Starlight, traveling north for a couple of days through Oregon and Washington before changing trains again after crossing into Canada at Vancouver.

In Vancouver we booked passage on the luxurious Rocky Mountaineer that traveled east through several scenic parks. All of the upper deck seating throughout this train has a sky dome for spectacular views. The stewards ...in addition to serving four star meals and freshly prepared deserts... acted as guides, encouraging passengers to shout out whenever they spotted eagles, osprey or other animals so that passengers who brought cameras could capture mementos of the wonderful Canadian landscape to take back home.  

Alas, this provided the only disappointment on an otherwise delightful journey. While we saw majestic mountains, grand rivers, beautiful forests and an amazing variety of birds I never once had an opportunity to shout "BEAR" ...and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the biggest difference between Americans and Canadians.  

I was on the Zephyr years ago and did not witness such a sight! One day I hope to take the Rocky Mountaineer; I will advise if I get to shout "Bear!"

Thanks for sharing!!

My latest is a report directly from SDCC; I'm not there, but a reporter is on the scene. Images courtesy of my buddy Bob Wayne... :drumroll:

IMG_9922.thumb.jpeg.0c27b4f28b29b4fc5da9a353c73d6f8b.jpeg

IMG_9923.thumb.jpeg.e19d8acac7118e2e3f576369fe207f5e.jpeg

IMG_9924.thumb.jpeg.feed6c13c78a85a9a93f758488730829.jpeg

The first three shots are of the beginning of the Zombie Apocalypse. The air was thick with anticipation or some similar aromas! 

ALE!

The next shot includes a recognizable character actor always in good standing, ...even when he's seated!  :headbang:

IMG_9931.thumb.jpeg.ace721bf9e99b060f9132e773b5bd23a.jpeg

The irascible MrBedrock, ...aka ASTROman:Rocket:...alias Sir Richard the Goodhearted, lord over all he surveys. (thumbsu

IMG_9932.thumb.jpeg.693fd5a5d2ee154f477d2bc313c23014.jpeg

Next up, more wall shots of dealers in their natural habitat; credit cards don't stand a chance in this environment! :whatthe:

IMG_9922.thumb.jpeg.8b5c06a2b24f8316d87fb9aa887faa4a.jpeg

Budding romance can always be spotted at SDCC; he knows she's keeping tabs on his checkbook in her backpack! hm

And there you have it my friends, a short report on this year's SDCC via my celebrated Gnus Briefs...

Image12-13-22at9_53PM.jpeg.0d8216913eb1ee728f822a6686d843f4.jpeg

Daguerrotype photographic imaging courtesy of the best on the scene indie reporter around, Bob "Candid Camera" Wayne! :cool:

ALE!!!

And more daguerrotype images from convention programs; sketches of a couple of the guests of yore... :bump:

(edited)_(edited)_Congestion_(spread).thumb.png.7439aec1a9c351c70e20b31b8cf864c4.png

(edited)_(edited)_(edited)_(edited)_(edited)_(edited)_(edited)_(edited)_(edited)_(edited)_Congestion_(int(1).thumb.png.3d4e3c089c7420fdcb42cc5803c32574.png

This program was done in an underground comics style over 40 years ago; here's the hand lettered cover... 

Congestion_82.jpeg.6e88e77116430dd2f5b5db35b8d3d94b.jpeg

Ale, as usual!

On 8/15/2023 at 11:56 AM, MrBedrock said:

A bunch of boardies - some no longer with us - from Chicago 2004

From left to right -

@143ksk, Paul Simpson, @G.A.tor, Steve Barrington, @Straw-Man, @MrBedrock, @Matt Nelson, John Plauche

pictures01.png

we were so young...rip paul and steve

A toast to the obsessive nature of FANDOM (I resemble that remark), ...

After taking this group shot I came across a 9.2 copy of ALL WINNERS #21 which I liked a bit better...

Image11-30-22at2_07AM.thumb.jpeg.dfe569ca8b76bf2f62e4e645d119c522.jpeg

...so I bought the slightly nicer book, then was offered another book in trade the 9.0 under copy above!

Guess I need to find the time to take a new group shot (below is the 9.2 copy)! :insane:

Spoiler

27feaf1b-8331-4386-95ac-43a8ab9772b8_zpst2zlfxpz.jpeg.1b22e2a61fd36da64d40fdda4a023f07.jpeg

OAFcon coming; September BUMP... :bump:

There's a good chance I'll be attending the upcoming OAFcon in Norman, Okla. Sept. 16th & 17th (Embassy Suites).

Although not setting up this year it's an opportunity to visit old friends and check out the dealer's room and how everyone is doing.  My buddy Bob Wayne suggested it and since I've only ventured out of state once since the pandemic ...guest appearance at the SF convention Archon near St. Louis... this seemed like an ideal time to venture forth to another fan friendly event.  

I'll probably mention this in the coming events section as well, but this thread weighing heavily on the nostalgic side of the equation, here's a rare old daguerreotype taken at a party fans threw during an OAFcon, attended by the late great Bart Bush (standing behind him is longtime fan/dealer Kent Cordray; this was approx. a decade ago)...

892F19AE-881A-4532-B034-2D1DA4470ED0_zps6qa8vo42.thumb.jpeg.ecf024b17e94065030906cc74dee7921.jpeg