• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Annoying Ebay Listing (Shocking, I know), Need to Vent

19 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ASTONISHING-TALES-25-9-4-CGC-GRADED-FIRST-DEATHLOK-/230633269678?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b2d069ae

I was just browsing for possible deals on various titles and I found this listing for a slabbed Astonishing Tales 25. The picture shows it's clearly a PLOD but the seller's only description is "THIS COMIC IS GRADED 9.4 CGC".

We've all seen plenty of listings where they make it sound like it's Universal but at least somewhere in the listing they usually mention that it's restored. Not only does this ad not have that but the picture is taken with the plastic sleeve around the slab which makes me think they're trying to really get away with something. Even when I enlarge it I can't begin to make out any of the restoration information. Added to that is the $150 price which would also certainly make someone think it's not restored if they didn't really look at the picture.

I've never dealt with this seller so for all I know he may usually be the best at disclosing everything but this just seemed to be so likely to scam someone out of money intended for a Blue label that I was just annoyed enough that I had to vent.

:censored:rantrant

The plastic bag around the slab is kind of there i assume to prevent you from reading the restoration and they make no mention of it BUT you can see it says restored so atleast thats obvious. I would think any educated person would ask what the restoration is after seeing it says restored grade before paying $150 . I will add that Im not sure you need to add that its restored when the comic says Restored on the slab and you can see it but I also agree its a obvious attempt with the plastic bag to kind of slightly hide it.

I agree....if a buyer is ignorant and not looking at the pics and see that it is restored, then it is the buyer's own fault really.

That being said...who really cares what the note said about this book?...considering buying this book restored make no sense even if it is $20.

I agree....if a buyer is ignorant and not looking at the pics and see that it is restored, then it is the buyer's own fault really.

That being said...who really cares what the note said about this book?...considering buying this book restored make no sense even if it is $20.

Really? You don't think the seller has a responsibility in his listing to put the actual grade of the comic he's selling? Putting up a tty picture that's fuzzy doesn't cut it in my book.

The plastic bag around the slab is kind of there i assume to prevent you from reading the restoration and they make no mention of it BUT you can see it says restored so atleast thats obvious. I would think any educated person would ask what the restoration is after seeing it says restored grade before paying $150 . I will add that Im not sure you need to add that its restored when the comic says Restored on the slab and you can see it but I also agree its a obvious attempt with the plastic bag to kind of slightly hide it.

I think there is a clear intent to deceive. There's an understood "vocabulary of expression" when selling comics. Some vendors want no surprises or misinterpretations and provide detailed information. Some vendors provide little -- buyer beware.

This vendor picked and chose what they intended to emphasize or minimize -- and still remain within the strictures of eBay/PayPal. One does not accidentally forget to mention in the title or text that a book is restored.

Should the seller mentioned "restored" on the title - yes

Should the buyer look at the listing carefully before buying - yes

as far as listing "restorations" in the title....I can come up with PLENTY of listings on many other places that also don't do it. We can debate to death about the intent and go no where really because there are more than a few restored slabs selling/listings right now without the world "restored" in the title.

here is one quick example of a 5 seconds search on CL. My apology if this book belong to a boardie. I have no problem at all at this listing even though the seller may have accidentally not changed some areas where the book was stated as unrestored.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%5Fadv%2Easp%3Fall%3Dy%26TITLE%3D%26TITLEOPT%3DALL%26ISSUE%3D%26Condition%3D%26ConditionTo%3D%26CensusRank%3D%26Pedigree%3D%26PRICEF%3D%26PRICET%3D%26DESCRIPTION%3D%26DESCRIPTIONOPT%3DALL%26SearchRemarks%3D%26SearchCGC%3D%26EXCLUDE%3D%26CATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26WCATEGORIES%3D%2D1%26SORT%3DPRICEH%26%5Fwhere%5Fforsale%3Dy%26%5Fwhere%5Fauctions%3Dy%26x%3D29%26y%3D6%26where%5Fforsale%3Dy%26pg%3D2&id=843311

The bottom line for me is educated consumer will be able to tell and I don't care for the stupid. If anyone is insulted by it...so be it. When I do something stupid, I own up to it...I don't blame anyone else for my stupidity. I work with lawyers all day long so defending the stupids get old after a while.

Looks like the seller pulled the listing.... (thumbs u

After reading this thread yesterday, I asked the the seller a question to see if he/she/they would reply:

AT25CGCundisclosedresto.png

Someone else had asked a question pertaining to the description of the item prior to mine, which never got an answer...UMM-HMM... hm

Sellers should always describe an item truthfully and include everything that is relevant to the condition/grade of the book. We are all buyers of books so we know what needs to be included. Deliberately leaving relevant information out of a listing is intentionally misleading.

If the restoration isn't mentioned in the title it should definitely be mentioned prominently in the item description.

Sellers should always describe an item truthfully and include everything that is relevant to the condition/grade of the book. We are all buyers of books so we know what needs to be included. Deliberately leaving relevant information out of a listing is intentionally misleading.

If the restoration isn't mentioned in the title it should definitely be mentioned prominently in the item description.

+1 (thumbs u

The difference in that auction is that the image is clearly readable whereas the eBay auction was not. Also, in the description it says, "This is the only CGC 9.2 and although this example has been professionally and delicately restored, it has the highest grade ever assigned to an example of this 1940 mega key."

Yep...and the so-called "seller:

...still doesn't disclose restoration anywhere in the description

...still uploads a grainy picture

...still didn't answer my question pertaining to what was restored on the book

so, IMHO, the "seller" is still a bad seller... :sumo:

There are so many sellers on eBay that try to leave out very important info. That is why it is always good practice to ask as many questions no matter how much you as a buyer is willing to shell out!!!!!!!

Too many of those around I'm afraid.

Yep...and the so-called "seller:

...still doesn't disclose restoration anywhere in the description

...still uploads a grainy picture

...still didn't answer my question pertaining to what was restored on the book

so, IMHO, the "seller" is still a bad seller... :sumo:

I wanted to consider that maybe it was just a mistake at first but relisted as suspiciously as before so I have to agree. A shame...

Why would anyone do resto on this book? (shrug)

Exactly! I would assume that is NOT a professional restoration. Somebody probably used a marker to do color touch up on the spine, etc. That's probably why he isn't specifying the restoration. Who would want to buy a bronze comic that was restored by a 10 year old with a marker? Just my guess.