• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm curious, are you a stereotypical sports hating comic geek or ...

88 posts in this topic

Rugby League, not union. Watched State of Origin game two today, some of the toughest and fittest athletes on display, don't know if you can get coverage in the states, but try and catch game three if you can.

I also love NFL, and have followed the Redskins since the early eighties, even played the game from 85-90, when just about every city had a team in Britain, it is a great team game to play and i miss it like hell, to old now. :cry:

Rugby League, not union. Watched State of Origin game two today, some of the toughest and fittest athletes on display, don't know if you can get coverage in the states, but try and catch game three if you can.

I also love NFL, and have followed the Redskins since the early eighties, even played the game from 85-90, when just about every city had a team in Britain, it is a great team game to play and i miss it like hell, to old now. :cry:

Well I only played Rugby union seriously but I'm a huge fan of League. I think it's a pity that big name RL players like Sonny Bill Williams (fantastic player) and Willie Mason are making the switch to union...Saying that the conveyor belt keeps on churning out fantastic rugby players. (thumbs u

I like comics, and had a small try at sports when I was in High School. I wanted to get with a girl in the cross-country team bad. I joined the team and finished last on every meet. I ended up dating her, but I was the joke of the team. Then I tried playing chess, but I got kicked out the team because I was no good.

Other than that, never was into sports, when the Super-Bowl is on, I watch it for the commercials.. :(

I love sports :)

I'm a big San Antonio Spurs fan (Can't believe they lost in the first round :cry: )

Love the Texas Rangers :headbang:

I also like the Dallas Cowboys (even though they sucked last year :P )

I love watching NASCAR racing :cool:

I love UT (GO LONGHORNS :headbang: )

So,yeah I love sports :grin:

I enjoy sports and passionate about soccer or our football. Played quite seriously at junior (no age restriction) or semi professional level in Scotland until about age 30 and still play 5 a sides injuries and work permitting once or twice a week. Also coach a boys team (under11s). Runs in the family - my dad is 73 and only recently stopped palying and still goes to the gym several times a week.

My school was rugby oriented and didn't have a football team so in cross country team which Scottish Champions and 3rd in Britain. Thought I was still as fit and tried a half marathon 10 years ago - first 11 miles in 1 hour 10 minutes next 45 minutes in a suspected coma and woke up in an ambulance with drips out of each arm severely dehydrated and unable to remember my name. Given it a miss since!

Favourite football team is Glasgow Celtic the first British team to win the European Cup as then was.

I used to love baseball but lost a ton of interest in the past 6 or 7 years. I don't really follow any other sports. I have been into body building for the past 12 years, so visually I don't really fit the usual stereotype.

Comics were my first love, but around middle school I decided to make room for girls and sports.

I grew up in Massachusetts and even though I've moved around, those are still my favorite sports teams.

I love watching and playing basketball and even though I'm not competitive anymore, I still try to run about 10 miles a day.

Me and my troops at the UofO Duck game with New Mexico last Sept. My daughter played volleyball in HS. The older son was a wrestling state champion as a junior in the 3A division this past year, and also plays football. The younger son played football, basketball and wrestled this past year. It sounds like he will play soccer and wrestle next year as a freshman.

duckgame.jpg

I pretty much like college football and softball. I like wrestling and hockey at any level. I don't have much use for professional sports.

Lets hope for another state champ from that pic Mike :wishluck:

I'm hoping for two state placers next year :wishluck:

Hey, we Red Sox fans had to wait 86 years for our championship :D Hang in there. The Cubbies will make it one day. Unless of course they happen to match up against the BoSox. In that regard, I hope they get pounded into the ground :D

Yeah I do believe also, especially after my Blackhawks won it all last year after 49 years of I was hardcore routing for them to win.

... do you have a passion for your fav sports/teams etc. as well?

If it's the latter, fill us in on what it is/they are, how long you've been a fan, if you played the sports yourself & all that good stuff.

I'm certain this thread has been done before, probably many times over, but humor a newcomer. 'K?

Me?

I've had a fanatical love for combat sports since I was a young teen.

It began when the Bruce Lee movies & the KUNG FU TV series first became popular & I convinced my parents to allow me to take traditional Okinawan Karate. and, while i loved the sparring & learning techniques, I HATED the katas/forms. So, after a few months of that I switched to Judo, then another style of Karate, then Tae Kwon Do. And after I collected a few different belts of many colors, I STILL hadn't found my niche or anything that I was truly passionate about.

Whilst all this was going on, I'd become a hardcore boxing fan when I was 14. And then, I began training at a boxing gym at 17.

I'd found my true love.

And over the next several years I fought, compiling a 17-5 record in sanctioned fights & a 5-0 in unlicensed matches.

About midway through my career as a boxer, I switched gyms to one that was a hybrid boxing/kickboxing gym & began training in the latter discipline as well. and one of my regular sparring partners was a black belt in Hawaiian Kempo. Which is much more of a combative system than a martial art. In which you advance your knowledge & your rank through rigorous training in reality based fighting situation training. And it has virtually NO FORMS! lol

So, I earned my black belt in it. And also acquired a purple belt in Jiu Jitsu along the way as well.

I'm still very much a die hard boxing fan & an MMA ( UFC ) fan in equal measure.

I also follow K-1 kickboxing & I'm a lifelong fan of The Buffalo Bills too.

And, that's about it for me.

Now let's hear from the rest of you.

Sixers fan in basketball

Cowboys fan in fb

dodgers fan in baseball.

And of course the might Oregon Ducks in colledge fb

So yeah you could say im a sports fan

Me and my troops at the UofO Duck game with New Mexico last Sept. My daughter played volleyball in HS. The older son was a wrestling state champion as a junior in the 3A division this past year, and also plays football. The younger son played football, basketball and wrestled this past year. It sounds like he will play soccer and wrestle next year as a freshman.

duckgame.jpg

I pretty much like college football and softball. I like wrestling and hockey at any level. I don't have much use for professional sports.

Lets hope for another state champ from that pic Mike :wishluck:

I'm hoping for two state placers next year :wishluck:

Great pick Mike!