• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm curious, are you a stereotypical sports hating comic geek or ...

88 posts in this topic

... do you have a passion for your fav sports/teams etc. as well?

If it's the latter, fill us in on what it is/they are, how long you've been a fan, if you played the sports yourself & all that good stuff.

I'm certain this thread has been done before, probably many times over, but humor a newcomer. 'K?

Me?

I've had a fanatical love for combat sports since I was a young teen.

It began when the Bruce Lee movies & the KUNG FU TV series first became popular & I convinced my parents to allow me to take traditional Okinawan Karate. and, while i loved the sparring & learning techniques, I HATED the katas/forms. So, after a few months of that I switched to Judo, then another style of Karate, then Tae Kwon Do. And after I collected a few different belts of many colors, I STILL hadn't found my niche or anything that I was truly passionate about.

Whilst all this was going on, I'd become a hardcore boxing fan when I was 14. And then, I began training at a boxing gym at 17.

I'd found my true love.

And over the next several years I fought, compiling a 17-5 record in sanctioned fights & a 5-0 in unlicensed matches.

About midway through my career as a boxer, I switched gyms to one that was a hybrid boxing/kickboxing gym & began training in the latter discipline as well. and one of my regular sparring partners was a black belt in Hawaiian Kempo. Which is much more of a combative system than a martial art. In which you advance your knowledge & your rank through rigorous training in reality based fighting situation training. And it has virtually NO FORMS! lol

So, I earned my black belt in it. And also acquired a purple belt in Jiu Jitsu along the way as well.

I'm still very much a die hard boxing fan & an MMA ( UFC ) fan in equal measure.

I also follow K-1 kickboxing & I'm a lifelong fan of The Buffalo Bills too.

And, that's about it for me.

Now let's hear from the rest of you.

... do you have a passion for your fav sports/teams etc. as well?

If it's the latter, fill us in on what it is/they are, how long you've been a fan, if you played the sports yourself & all that good stuff.

I'm certain this thread has been done before, probably many times over, but humor a newcomer. 'K?

Most of the sports related stuff gets discussed in the Water Cooler.

I love MMA have a huge collection of DVDs, watch football though not really a fan of any one team so much, like Nascar but again no one in particular although I have met Tony Stewart a couple of times it is only because my neighbor's littel boy loves him and we will take him to signings and such.

I also love pro wrasslin but not the new daytime drama version

But then again I am a girl who likes comics and 3stooges..so it's not like I was typical to begin with..

I don't fit the stereotype. Huge sports fan. College football, NFL, NCAA basketball, USA soccer...in that order. I'm an 'undercover' comic geek...

Native Houstonian so I've done my share of sports hating...but I love sports. I've loved the Texans their entire miserable existance, the Astro's since Glenn Davis and Jose Cruz and the Rockets since Hakeem and Otis Thorpe.

Played all sports growing up but focused on football in HS. Was the Team Cap, LB, RB but ended up blowing out my knee 1/2 way through my senior season. Good times though

Some of my buddies spent over $200 for each of the earlier Canucks hockey playoff tickets plus wasted 5 hours at a time watching at the pub during the work week. Colossal losses against the Bruins of 8 to 1, 4 to 1, 5 to nil until the 3rd period with 2 "mercy" goals, then 4 to nil for the final where tix were sold out at over $1k each. Wasted $$ and time plus another riot in downtown Vancouver led :frustrated: by a couple of hooligans.

I'm a HUGE sports fan, mainly the Dallas Cowboys and Syracuse university basketball. Ive been a diehard fan of both for the last 30 years and live or die by wether they win or lose.

Back in my day 20 years ago, I was a pretty bigtime basketball player before my ankles gave out on me. Coming out of high school I had offers to play at about 10 smaller division II schools but always dreamed of playing at Syracuse so went there and tried to walk on. Freshman year I just missed. Sophomore year I destroyed the ligaments in my left ankle and was never the same and that was that :(

I am a huge NCAA football fan.

I like the underdog scrubs teams mostly because sometimes you really get to see

the games with the most heart that way.

I love to see a huge underdog find a way to win or at least make it a good game.

86795.jpg

I split my PSL tickets for the Baltimore Ravens with my dad. I was shocked when he was still gung ho about paying for the tickets this season, but we were told that whatever games are not played, they would credit our account for next season.

So needless to say....I love me some football.

Nope I love sports...

Represented the county at rugby and athletics when in college and had Welsh Youth Rugby trials. Played semi professionally for two seasons before a serious knee injury knocked any ideas of a career in rugby on the head. Carried on playing socially afterwards but my knee is now shot. Go and watch the Welsh National team when possible and semi regularly attend Bedford Blues & Newport Gwent Dragons home fixtures...

Really looking forward to the Rugby World Cup and a good showing from the boys in red :wishluck: