• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm curious, are you a stereotypical sports hating comic geek or ...

88 posts in this topic

I've played basketball all my life. Played baseball too as a kid. Played basketball in hs and one year in junior college before getting a job. Could easily dunk until about 5 years ago. More of a sports fan who's into comics. Grandmother/father huge laker fans. Been one since birth. Ive seen the lakers play at the forum, staples center, in utah, arizona, portland, and spain. Always follow football. Huge san diego chargers fan. Baseball during the playoffs. Used to take martial arts. Got to green belt before i stopped.

hockey, soccer.....hockey....soccer.....hockey....

x country running

skiing

downhill

uphill

over the hill and dale

gotta love sports

Favorite sport is basketball and can watch any game that is on. Life long Hakeem Olajuwon fan (should not have played that last year in Toronto doh! ) .

Enjoy watching any MMA or boxing. UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, old Pride fights. Every month we get a few friends together at a local sports bar to watch UFC.

Watch football and usually jump in on a fantasty football league to make it more interesting.

I love sports. The NFL is my religion, but I also enjoy the NBA, and sometimes MLB.

During times when the PGA has something exciting going on, I'll watch it, same for Tennis.

Boxing is still interesting and I'll watch some of the big fights when they come on pay per view, but it isn't the same as it was just a decade ago

But, in the end, the NFL wins out every time

Me and my troops at the UofO Duck game with New Mexico last Sept. My daughter played volleyball in HS. The older son was a wrestling state champion as a junior in the 3A division this past year, and also plays football. The younger son played football, basketball and wrestled this past year. It sounds like he will play soccer and wrestle next year as a freshman.

duckgame.jpg

I pretty much like college football and softball. I like wrestling and hockey at any level. I don't have much use for professional sports.

Lets hope for another state champ from that pic Mike :wishluck:

I'm hoping for two state placers next year :wishluck:

It could easily happen. Just put them on a plane send them to me and Ill take care of the rest :banana:

RED SOX RULE!! :banana:

CELTICS RULE!! :banana:

PATRIOTS RULE!! :banana:

BRUINS RULE!! :banana:

I love watching and playing basketball. I tend to like players who play similarly to myself first and then the teams they're on second; current favorites are Nowitzki and Dallas and Garnett/Allen and Boston. As a player I mostly shoot mid-range set shots, up-fakes and drives, stop & pops, fadeaways both backwards and sideways from post turnarounds or from a set position, jump hooks, and post up-fakes/drives/spins. I also rebound and block shots. I can shoot 3s at about 30% - 40% but tend not to because I hit a better percentage on mid-range shots and like watching the ball go through the net more often than not. :cool: Used to be able to dunk but haven't gotten within 9 inches of doing that since I herniated my L4/L5 disc in 2009; standing reach is about 8' 1" so I have to get up about 30-34 inches to get it easily, I'm exactly Derrick Rose's size but have shorter arms. Before my herniation I mostly posted up, rebounded, and blocked shots, now I mostly shoot from mid-range and off of fakes/drives. Players I've learned the most moves and playstyles from have been, in order, Larry Bird (shooting, rebounding, and passing), Kevin McHale (post moves), Reggie Lewis (stop and pop, fadeaways), Chris Webber (rebounding, blocking shots, and general intensity), Allan Houston (killer shooting motion/form/rhythm on set, stop and pop, and fadeaways), and Dirk Nowitzki (fadeaways and side-fades from both a set position and off a drive). Been watching and playing since 1987. Been playing about 1-2 times a week the last few months but am giving up volleyball and hope to increase that to 3-4 times a week so I can start running full court again without collapsing after a game or two.

I play co-ed volleyball more for socialization than competition, and I enjoy watching some beach volleyball because watching people bounce around in tight beach outfits is fun. :grin: Just got into the sport last year in mid-2010. Never knew there were so many 6' to 6' 4" girls with huge boobs until I started playing at a volleyball gym with twelve indoor full courts. A few dozen times I've almost had balls hit me in the forehead because I was paying too much attention to jigglage or volleyball booty shorts on the courts around me. :blush:

I watch a little football...I like Peyton Manning and Michael Vick.

Massive Calgary Flames fan, and CFL Calgary Stampeders fan. I also follow Formula One, World Rally Championship, NASCAR (when I can find it on local UK tv), DTM (German touring car), BTCC (British touring cars).

I played hockey as a goalie for years, but since I moved to the UK I haven't been able to keep going. The local rink has hockey...for people wanting to join the BHL team...1 hr practice and 1 hr playing...at 1AM. O_o I was lucky enough to know the equipment manager for the Canadian olympic team at Father David Bauer arena in Calgary when I was younger, so I got to go out on the ice and help work out the injured players. :cloud9:

I worked for a company who cleaned McMahon Stadium, and I got to hang around the practice field during workouts, which was cool. I caught a Doug Flutie pass once! :)

Up till very recently I was a hockey card collector, with a large Flames collection, but I quit and moved into comics (after a 15+ year abscence).

James

I'm still very much a die hard boxing fan & an MMA ( UFC ) fan in equal measure.

I also follow K-1 kickboxing & I'm a lifelong fan of The Buffalo Bills too.

And, that's about it for me.

Now let's hear from the rest of you.

I like the cut of your jib, Sir! Welcome to the Boards! (thumbs u

Another Buffaloinan representin'! :grin:

*Post #3400!

That makes three of us!

Let's hope all this labor dispute nonsense is resolved soon so we can grab some decent free agents & get on the practice field ASAP.

At this point in the year when we should be at least ankle deep every day in news regarding the coming season, I'm probably WAY over-excited about next Friday night's official unveiling of The Bills new uniforms... lol

I'm still very much a die hard boxing fan & an MMA ( UFC ) fan in equal measure.

I also follow K-1 kickboxing & I'm a lifelong fan of The Buffalo Bills too.

And, that's about it for me.

Now let's hear from the rest of you.

I like the cut of your jib, Sir! Welcome to the Boards! (thumbs u

Another Buffaloinan representin'! :grin:

*Post #3400!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm assuming that makes four of us Bills fans here now.

It's amazing how many people have MMA as their favorite sport. For a sport that pretty much didnt exist to the general public 10 years ago, its crazy how many people have that listed as their favorite over football, basketball, baseball, etc.

When i was a freshman, my RA was good friends with Marc Kerr and he would be hanging out with him in our dorm at least 1 weekend every month. One time just screwing around, he grabbed me and put me in a full nelson and HOLY mess, that guy was stronger than an elephant! When he got a hold of you, no amount of strength i could muster would budge him a millimeter! :grin:

Yep, it's certainly grown in popularity at an amazing rate considering the fact that it was largely banned from most cable systems going into 2000.

Love 'em or hate 'em, the Fertitta's & Dana White have done some pretty mind boggling things in just a bit over a decade.

One thing I'm SO happy about is the fact that much of the nonsensical debate between the MMA followers & the boxing fans has diminished to just a few random squabbles on message boards every now & then.

Coming from both worlds, I could never understand how heated things got between the two factions & how little crossover there was between fans of the two sports.

Being a lover of both, I often felt like someone's red headed step child or some other sort of outcast. But, that began to change a bit just a couple of years ago & now we're seeing a whole new generation of fight fans who watch & enjoy both.

It actually warms my heart... lol

Pro football - Oakland Raiders

I feel your pain. It's been a crappy 27 years, hasn't it?

It's been brutal the last few years but when Gruden was the coach it wasn't too bad. I just hope they have a football season this year! :wishluck: