• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first GA submission to CGC

19 posts in this topic

Today I received the grades and scanned images from my first GA submission. In the past, I have submitted 2 books through someone else, but this was the first submission 'on my own'.

My background in collecting, as a few of you know, is mostly in the baseball card world. I have had several submission to GAI, PSA, and SGC (all sportscard grading companies) over the years.

This experience submitting to these companies has given me some insight on how the submission process usually goes. When submitting items, there are several outcomes/emotions from the subsequent grades. The top 4 reactions are something like this:

1. Oh man, I can't believe I didn't see that (insert defect here) before I submitted it.

2. That is the exact grade I thought it would be. I was hoping for better, but it is right on the money.

3. No way, the book is waaaay better than (insert dissappointing grade number here). I don't agree.

4. Wow, the book got a (insert suprisingly higher grade than you thought here). You know now that I look at it more, it did deserve the grade. It is one nice book.

Depending on the submission size, one can expect atleast 1 of the above reactions per submission. From my first submission of 3 books, I experienced 3 of the above outcomes.

I will post the pics and the subsequesnt reaction number for each book. All in all it is fun submitting, I just didn't expect the complete range of outcomes from 1 submission of 3 books.

Next up Reaction #3. This one really dissappointed me. I dissagree about two parts of this grade. I just knew this was a 9.0. Also, I have read the book and IMO the pages are off-white, maybe on an off day cream/ow but not light tan to ow?

On the super positive side, this is the second highest graded behind the Church copy and I am super excited to own it. It is a cool cover and a tough early Ranger to find. Black covers this nice are dreamy.

823ce34f.jpg

Reaction #4

I purchased this as a 7.5, but knew it was waaaay nicer. This is one of the tougher Fight covers in the 20's. I concur with the ow/w pages on this one. Another great Zolnerowich cover, this is the second highest graded behind the church copy.

4714dc28.jpg

Sweet, books! :applause:

I love the teeth on the dinosaurs. They look much cooler that way.

Next up Reaction #3. This one really dissappointed me. I dissagree about two parts of this grade. I just knew this was a 9.0. Also, I have read the book and IMO the pages are off-white, maybe on an off day cream/ow but not light tan to ow?

On the super positive side, this is the second highest graded behind the Church copy and I am super excited to own it. It is a cool cover and a tough early Ranger to find. Black covers this nice are dreamy.

823ce34f.jpg

K, what folks still to this day seem to confuse is the PQ notation...it is "quality", not just color... as I understand it (cgc can correct me if I am wrong in my understanding) (thumbs u

so, while the pages might look off white (based on the paper color), they might have been slightly dried , or less flexible/supple or just about to split somewhere...not slightly brittle, but not "supple" enough to get the cream or ow designation...enter "lt tan"... doesn't always mean color, but over all some part of the pages preservation

823ce34f.jpg

K, what folks still to this day seem to confuse is the PQ notation...it is "quality", not just color... as I understand it (cgc can correct me if I am wrong in my understanding) (thumbs u

so, while the pages might look off white (based on the paper color), they might have been slightly dried , or less flexible/supple or just about to split somewhere...not slightly brittle, but not "supple" enough to get the cream or ow designation...enter "lt tan"... doesn't always mean color, but over all some part of the pages preservation

You are the only person that I have heard explain the PQ designation this way. I don't think that's how it is used but would love to hear directly from CGC what they intend it to mean.

823ce34f.jpg

You are the only person that I have heard explain the PQ designation this way. I don't think that's how it is used but would love to hear directly from CGC what they intend it to mean.

Page quality is a tough thing to explain & it is even tougher to classify all the different page quality scenerios into so few page quality designations. Basically, CGC goes primarily off the color of the pages, unless the book exhibits slightly brittle or brittle pages, in which case it does not matter what "color" the pages are.

Most of the time, page quality & page color go hand in hand.

823ce34f.jpg

Page quality is a tough thing to explain & it is even tougher to classify all the different page quality scenerios into so few page quality designations. Basically, CGC goes primarily off the color of the pages, unless the book exhibits slightly brittle or brittle pages, in which case it does not matter what "color" the pages are.

Most of the times, page quality & page color go hand in hand.

Thanks for chiming in. That's a very reasonable approach.

I think 8.5 is about as good as you can do with LT/OW pages.

Great looking books! Love the Jungle.

That's what I was wondering.

That is what most likely kept it from the 9.0 that was expected.

Let's start off with Reaction #2.

I think this is one cool book. I've read it several times.

30622150.jpg

Really terrific cover on this book! And would you believe your copy is the only one I think I've ever seen, ever! :applause:

Thanks for the compliments guys.

I would agree that lt/ow ceiling grade is a 8.5. I guess that is the crux of my dissapointment is that I think the page quality kept it at a 8.5.

I guess I could also add that I thought the pages were supple as well as OW in color.

Lastly, I don't want anyone to think I am complaining, dissappointed about 1 book yes, but not complaining.

Just wanted to share the variety and thoughts surrounding my first submission.

I would agree that lt/ow ceiling grade is a 8.5. I guess that is the crux of my dissapointment is that I think the page quality kept it at a 8.5.

I guess I could also add that I thought the pages were supple as well as OW in color.

Lastly, I don't want anyone to think I am complaining, dissappointed about 1 book yes, but not complaining.

You didn't come off in your posts as complaining...just stating thoughts and observations....good thread and better books :headbang:

823ce34f.jpg

if you think this was something, ask him to explain the 1996 florida v. nebraska fiesta bowl result.

here'a a page full of 9.0 l.t.'s.

http://comics.ha.com/common/search_results.php?ic=homepage_search&Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles&Ntt=9.0+light+tan&N=52+790+231

and a buncha 9.2's [and i see a 9.4 in there, too].

http://comics.ha.com/common/search_results.php?Ntk=SI_Titles&Ntt=9.2%20light%20tan&Nty=1&N=52+790+231&chkNotSold=0&Ns=