• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sold my collection (sans pedigrees) to Flaming Telepath’s Comicana Direct

154 posts in this topic

And Alan's baseline was actually realistic, given the nature of the stuff, and because of my prior relaationship with him, I thought it appropriate to deal with him as fairly as he was dealing with me.

Everybody's going to be a winner. (thumbs u

Treating people fairly. From my experience, that's Nick all over. (thumbs u

Congratulations to everyone involved.

That could be your corporate credo, Nick:

"Comicana Direct. Treating people fairly since 2010. Since long before that, actually, but it wasn't a company prior to 2010. Prior to 2010 it was just Nick Beckett treating people fairly. And running CGC board shills out of town."

Excellent thread, well written and interesting. :applause:

Excellent is the word for it. (thumbs u

He's coined a phrase that sticks in my mind: The Albatross Phase of comic book collecting.

It's coming, after decades of enjoyment, for many of us. There's probably going to be quite a few tales like this one and Comic Book Collection To Goodwill in the near future.

I think it was a timing thing. Right now we don't have the huge stockpiling of stuff that established dealers accumulate over the years. Yes, some of this stuff will be our fourth or fifth copy, but there's other stuff in there that we haven't got at all and a lot that will only be our 2nd or 3rd copy.

I agree with this--having 3-4 copies of things is not a problem. Eventually they sell. And once you get earlier than 1980 you need the things in different grades and price ranges anyway. It's not bad to have five ASM 65s in 2.0 to 7.0.

I want to personally thank you for taking me on this very personal journey. I think the majority of us Boardies can relate to what you have gone through, although maybe not to the exact extreme. It was a pleasure to read this beautifully written thread. Congrats on your emancipation.

I'd hate to know how much shipping to the UK is going to be for all those books

Yeah how many are we talking about? :popcorn: 8,000 books in one year! :o

Substantially more than that by now, I can tell you. :eek:

Glad you were able to do the deal with Alan.

I`m amazed that the deal ended up working with an overseas dealer and that it was still economical when factoring in the shipping costs, but I`m glad you guys were able to work things out. In one sense, shipping a huge bunch of books overseas ends up being a lot cheaper per book than shipping a medium or small-sized bunch of books overseas.

Correct. The shipping costs are very reasonable and actually work out at about 10c a book because of the bulk.

What is also great is that John's out there now hauling boxes and I'm up at my parents, preparing for a party tonight! :insane:

Where do I send my wants list lol

I want to personally thank you for taking me on this very personal journey. I think the majority of us Boardies can relate to what you have gone through, although maybe not to the exact extreme. It was a pleasure to read this beautifully written thread. Congrats on your emancipation.

Hear hear!

This has to be one of the best threads of the last several years. Very well written, gripping, and comes across as very honest and objective. Thanks for telling the story, and I'm happy that a deal was made with a fellow boardie. :applause:

Congrats to both buyer and seller! (thumbs u

A great read Alan.

Glad everything worked out so well for you.

So, was it a shock to walk into that room where all those comics were stored for so long & see the vast majority of them gone?

I know my legs would have wobbled a bit!

Excellent writing. :applause:

I'm happy everything worked out so well for you.

We need to read more positive, uplifting accounts like this one. (thumbs u

Great read and Congrats to both seller and buyer.

My LCS has been buying a lot lately. One was a run of X-Men from 1-400+. Nothing high grade except the lower ones. I think some people have tired of the collecting (which is the case here) But I think this long recession that ended 2 years ago (haha) is starting to take it's toll on many.

:news:

Just thought I'd post some pics of the progress being made thus far ...

John working his tail off:

John_working.jpg

Two pallets almost fully loaded, one more to go:

Pallets.jpg

The Stairway of Doom ... leading from the basement to the garage:

Stairway_of_doom.jpg

:acclaim: