• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sold my collection (sans pedigrees) to Flaming Telepath’s Comicana Direct

154 posts in this topic

And I would suggest not stacking them straight up, do a 5-block(3 one way, two the other like they are on the pallet or arranged a little differently to get more per level) and then alternate the next level, it reduces tip-overs. Then use the shrink wrap you can buy in rolls off the shelf at Home Depot.

Vertical stability is important for transport and cross stacking them will help lock in each level instead of individual stacks.

Oh yeah, and a couple of messages from John:

Comicopolis: "You can have the Rentaghost episodes when you come down next."

Nick: lol:roflmao:lol (He said you'd get this. :cool: )

Those rentaghost episodes are mine :sumo:

Looking forward to flipping through the "Albatross" and glad that Nick will have to grade and catalogue all of them.

Oh yeah, and a couple of messages from John:

Comicopolis: "You can have the Rentaghost episodes when you come down next."

Nick: lol:roflmao:lol (He said you'd get this. :cool: )

At least you can now see that John is nowhere near as funny as he thinks he is :insane:

:news:

Just thought I'd post some pics of the progress being made thus far ...

John working his tail off:

John_working.jpg

One speed as ever.

Don't mock, he's probably got to the bottom shelf by now. :busy:

I'd suggest having your forwarder re-do the shrinkwrap for all skids or these books will spill en route.

Generally you want to secure the boxes tightly together AND to the skid to ensure the contents moves when the skid moves; even in containers these will still shift. I would also agree with the earlier suggestion to cross stack or brick stack if you're up for re-configuring. Build a block, put extra cardboard on the corners too.

That comic room looks like a Dexter "kill room" now... :insane:

:whistle:

http://www.wikihow.com/Shrink-Wrap-a-Pallet

Seriously one of the skids doesn't even have the bottom level shrinkwrapped! The saving grace may be that it is wrapped so bad that a reputable forwarder wouldn't move it without re-packing it. (the shrink wrap is not to keep dust from getting on the books :gossip: )

Not trying to pizz on your buddies story but the only way all parties will continue to be happy is if the goods arrive in decent shape.

If you rewrap it take new pics for insurance purposes.

Wow, where did all the arm-chair freight forwarders come from? I'm sure John knows how to stack a pallet after all these years. :makepoint:

Years of shipping/receiving multiple kinds of frieght. I just want to see the stuff arrive safely! (thumbs u

Wow, where did all the arm-chair freight forwarders come from? I'm sure John knows how to stack a pallet after all these years. :makepoint:

If he knew he would have done a better job of it.

I think you will find that depending on the relationship you have with the freight forwarder, your shipment can arrive exactly as you have given it to them. I know this is true in my work where we receive shipments constantly and therefore i presume that John has used these people before and has built up a relationship that allows him to be certain of the end results.

I think you will find that depending on the relationship you have with the freight forwarder, your shipment can arrive exactly as you have given it to them. I know this is true in my work where we receive shipments constantly and therefore i presume that John has used these people before and has built up a relationship that allows him to be certain of the end results.

Im not arguing the relationship between John and the shipper.

Im just, like others, questioning the packing of those boxes.

And believe me, I hope like hell that they get their safely. Nick is one of the best folks around and someone I consider a friend.

I'm sorry to hear about your divorce but glad that all worked out with the parting of your comic collection. Comics should be fun, not a burden.

When the attorney whipped out his contention that the books were worth 60 bazillion dollars, I just kicked back, grinned at him, and said, “Okay, they’re worth that much … and the wife can have them for that amount. I’ll take that in home equity, please. But I tell you what, since I’m a nice guy, I’ll even pay to have them delivered! Just tell me where she wants them.”

:roflmao:

Im not arguing the relationship between John and the shipper.

Im just, like others, questioning the packing of those boxes.

And believe me, I hope like hell that they get their safely. Nick is one of the best folks around and someone I consider a friend.

I think you misunderstood what i was saying, some shipping companies with special relationship with the client will ensure that the package arrives as shipped by either double wrapping it themselves prior to entering the container, or ensure that it gets placed in a smaller container thus reducing or removing altogether the chance of transportation damage.

In any case i am certain that John knows what he is doing given that he has done this many times before.

While I appreciate the concern expressed by some of you on the packaging job, no one can tell from a picture alone just how securely wrapped these pallets are. Believe me, they're not going anywhere. If John was at all concerned we would have redone it right then and there. He's shipped thousands of boxes with this shipper and knows they're not going to treat it like the 19 year old UPS kid does the box of slabs marked FRAGILE.