• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sold my collection (sans pedigrees) to Flaming Telepath’s Comicana Direct

154 posts in this topic

FINAL THOUGHTS

So the truck pulled away an hour ago and I’ve just been sitting here collecting my thoughts, doing a bit of reminiscing, and looking ahead to the future. There’s no sadness or emptiness or anything present; I made my peace with this decision 2 years ago and haven’t doubted it since. And those 60 hours I spent getting the collection cataloged and organized that summer of 2009 was something akin to my saying goodbye to it, having one last fling with it, so to speak. Now, last night while I was attaching the invoices to the pallets I did give each one a subtle pat and said, “Goodbye, old friend,” to it, but that was it. No elaborate memorials or rituals, just a simple letting go. It felt like the right way to conclude things.

There are a couple of things I wanted to say in closing:

First and foremost, thanks again to everyone who has had a positive comment over the past few days. I knew the boardies who have become my friends over the years would be following this 5000+ word treatise, but I had no idea that so many strangers would also take the time to read my cathartic ramblings, let alone have such nice things to say about them. I am truly humbled and honored by all of your praise. Thank you. And I’m especially humbled by the kudos expressed by those few board members that I may have burned bridges with over the years. I haven’t been the greatest member of this hobby in recent times, and I’m hoping that little things like positive, heartfelt posts will begin the long redemption process. Applause from those I have offended in the past gives me hope that I am on the correct path.

Of course, it goes without saying that without Nick and Comicana Direct, none of this would have been a reality, so a huge THANK YOU goes out to them. You guys are the best. I know that from the business model they’ve incorporated, these books will end up going to a lot of fantastic new owners who will appreciate them much more than I ever did. I hope this collection fills lots and lots of want list holes!

This experience has taught me a lot about the dealers in this hobby and how most of them are fantastic people. Buddy and Conan Saunders, Joseph Koch, Flying Donut -- you guys rock. Carbonaro? Great guy, very upfront. Mile High was all business, although I didn’t deal with Chuck which might have been an experience. Positive or negative, I don’t know, but it still would have been an experience! Brad and Gary? You guys have been the best support network a comic collector could ask for. Thanks also for being my damn good friends.

After some consultations with TheEnabler (another damn good friend -- in fact, my best friend for 20 years now … you rock hardest, bro!) and others, I’ve decided to make the split with Graham Cracker’s and move my pull list to a new comic book store in the area, Chimera Comics. It’s only $30 a month, but those young upstarts will appreciate it a lot more than Jamie.

Over the past few days, a lot of people have been asking me, “So what now?” Honestly, I don’t know. Paring a collection of 27,000+ comic books down to 2,000 has given me a renewed appreciation for the part of the collection that has always meant something to me, and I am really looking forward to re-reading vast tracts of what I kept. I’m thinking of starting with the Byrne FFs, or maybe just starting small with Secret Wars. Who knows what that will spark?

I do know that the $30/month pull list isn’t really being added to, so getting into new comics really isn’t much of an option. Although I am looking forward to the DC reboot coming up in September, my expectations are low -- I have no doubt the stories will be just as impenetrable as the current line is, especially to someone who hasn’t read a monthly issue in 5 years. But I will give them a try. How about Marvel? Not a chance, which is such a shame considering that I grew up as a Marvel Zombie. I guess we all move on eventually. Maybe I should pick TheEnabler’s brain for some cool independent titles? Minh, we may need to make a run to Challenger’s this summer.

And Pedigrees? The commoditization of the hobby turned me into a bitter, angry cynic, and jumping back into the world of Pedigrees would just renew those feelings. I cannot go back to that. Now if a True Collector popped up with, say, a sweet, sweet Salida for sale would I jump at it? Absolutely. But True Collectors, especially of Peds, are becoming a rare breed, and I can’t really be considered “in a hobby” if I’m simply waiting for lightning to strike.

John got me seriously thinking about OA on Saturday, and since the ex-wife took all of the fine artwork I do have all of these bare walls to decorate. hm That may be a possibility. :insane:

In the end, though, I think my best course of action is to just take some time off. Meanwhile, I need to continue looking to those friends who have a healthy attitude towards collecting and try to learn something about the concept from them. I also need to inspect the fun areas of my life that have balance and see what I can extract from them. There are hobbies buried within (Kix cassette tapes, perhaps? :D ). Or maybe I just need to stop pontificating and navel gazing and just MANNUP?! Whatever the course, tomorrow’s another day.

And San Diego is a month away. See you all there!

The bomb shelter will be so lonely. :sorry:

(What are the odds that some of Brad's books end up annexing that space? hm)

Wes, it's not completely empty, my comic collection is still down there in Alan's basement...uh, at least I think it is :wishluck:

Maybe I should pick TheEnabler’s brain for some cool independent titles? Minh, we may need to make a run to Challenger’s this summer.

---------------------

John got me seriously thinking about OA on Saturday, and since the ex-wife took all of the fine artwork I do have all of these bare walls to decorate. hm That may be a possibility. :insane:

---------------------

And San Diego is a month away. See you all there!

Alan, SDCC is gonna be great! Great place for indie titles and OA!

Alan, thank you again for sharing your story with us. I've very much enjoyed it the past few days.

I'm gonna throw out a suggestion that will either interest you or horrify you -- custom binding your remaining collection. I found myself in a similar situation as you last year, tired of the vast majority of comics being put out while sentimental over the stories/titles from my childhood (also during the 80s). Yet, there those comics sat, stored away in God knows which long box, not having seen the light of day in years (decades). I decided, screw that, I want them out, accessible and on my bookshelf! It's not like the vast majority of them aren't easily replaceable. Plus, I can customize the books however I like. So far I've "freed" my run of Adventurers, The Realm, Team America, Legion Lost, Cavewoman, and Wandering Star. Next, I plan on binding Miracleman and Trollords, and have a long list of others. I've found it to be great fun, and at the same time I got to re-read those runs I've loved over the years. I even write my own Foreword for each. :grin:

Anyway, here's an example of one of my binds...

Adventurersbind.jpg

I too have enjoyed reading this thread, kudos to Pedigreeman for posting it.

As an aside to Dane323, I think binding is a great way to free up your longboxes, but if you have HG copies of the original issues, why not sell them instead of binding them? I only suggest this because you mentioned a Miracleman run (high demand, don'cha know). Unless you have a particular affinity for the actual copies you currently own, why not sell the HG copies, and then buy lower-grade copies with the proceeds to be bound? The sale of the HG copies should more than cover the re-purchase of lower-grade copies and the binding. Win-win situation.

Alan, I really enjoyed reading this. (thumbs u Thanks for taking the time to write and share your experience.

With all the characters and toil and false starts along the journey it reminded me of the Odyssey or The Pilgrim's Progress. And thank you for the kind words--I'm glad we could help you along the way. Kudos to Comicana on acquiring a such a wide-ranging collection.

I'll be in San Diego (Buddy too), and would enjoy meeting up with you at some point.

Conan

Alan, SDCC is gonna be great! Great place for indie titles and OA!

And here I thought we came up with your board nickname because of your ability to get people to drink!

If that's the case I'm in!

lol

:news:

Just a quick update ... I heard from John the other day that the three pallets had arrived quite safe and sound and were now sitting in HIS garage awaiting Nick to get up off his butt and process the 800 or so boxes HE has backlogged at HIS home. Train keeps a rollin', I guess.

I also guess anyone waiting to buy a book "From the PedigreeMan Collection" is going to have to wait a bit longer. lol

The reason why Nick hasn't 'got off his butt' is that his house already looks like this...

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

...and in the spirit of avoiding the divorce courts, he considers it wise to avoid bringing any more in until this lot are at least in some sort of order.

Which they're not. :cry:

The reason why Nick hasn't 'got off his butt' is that his house already looks like this...

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

...and in the spirit of avoiding the divorce courts, he considers it wise to avoid bringing any more in until this lot are at least in some sort of order.

Which they're not. :cry:

Still the weather is nice ;)