• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Collection To Goodwill

13 posts in this topic

Just watched that clip.

Looks like maybe there's some nice bronze in there based on the very little they showed.

You gotta love the reporter though...

"He even put them in MATCHING BOXES..." :o

I think they are talking OSPG value for long boxes of mostly 80's and 90's books. Tax write off for the donor. Might be some gems to be found, but who can tell with these kinds of grainy pictures.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?itemid=8058076

Still, someone's going for it. And the money goes to a good cause.

I wonder if the comment about putting garbage bags around the comics really helps. I would think the boxes would be enough?

My hunch is that it would hinder more than help mainly because the chemicals used to produce the soft, yet durable plastics used in garbage bags would be trapped along with all the other impurities which may be found in the air where a collection is stored. This would likely result in the accelerated yellowing of any poly-bags and a wide host of harm to comics caused by storage supplies not suited to withstand harsher environmental influences.

I wonder if the comment about putting garbage bags around the comics really helps. I would think the boxes would be enough?

My hunch is that it would hinder more than help mainly because the chemicals used to produce the soft, yet durable plastics used in garbage bags would be trapped along with all the other impurities which may be found in the air where a collection is stored. This would likely result in the accelerated yellowing of any poly-bags and a wide host of harm to comics caused by storage supplies not suited to withstand harsher environmental influences.

Agreed. It will mainly be the impurities generated by the books themselves. Offgassing that would otherwise escape fairly easily from the boxes, will now have to penetrate another layer of plastic and subject the good books to more of the problems of the bad offgassing books.

Agreed. It will mainly be the impurities generated by the books themselves. Offgassing that would otherwise escape fairly easily from the boxes, will now have to penetrate another layer of plastic and subject the good books to more of the problems of the bad offgassing books.

Good points, makes me wonder what is going on inside of slabs. Does slabbing a comic slow down or speed up it's disintegration ?