• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book dealer...crappy attitude

153 posts in this topic

It's all about customer service and respect. If you don't spend 50 grand a year with these guys you get neither. They're jerks, don't deal with jerks. There's enough good dealers out there, so why bother with those clowns. sign-rantpost.gif

I have spent less than $2,000 with Metropolis in the last year, but I get great service from them every time I order. It sounds lik Shield had a bad experience and that is unfortunate, but I've had nothing but good ones with Metropolis. confused-smiley-013.gif

I personally saw a ASM 129 on Metro's web-site. The price was very, very good. I bought it. I received a e-mail later that day. The book wasent available. I knew the book price was too good too be true. Instead of just saying it was a typo, they then said it was sold. That was baloney. I got a third e-mail after i raised a few questions. It was a typo. Why lie about it I thought?? Everyone makes mistakes, no biggie. But it turned me off from ever getting book's from them. Too bad too. they tend too have some nice, albeit expensive book's.

I personally saw a ASM 129 on Metro's web-site. The price was very, very good. I bought it. I received a e-mail later that day. The book wasent available. I knew the book price was too good too be true. Instead of just saying it was a typo, they then said it was sold. That was baloney. I got a third e-mail after i raised a few questions. It was a typo. Why lie about it I thought?? Everyone makes mistakes, no biggie. But it turned me off from ever getting book's from them. Too bad too. they tend too have some nice, albeit expensive book's.

Can you post the emails?

Can you post the emails?

893naughty-thumb.gif

But Shield, just for the record, (you didn't answer this before), how were your dealings for the previous four years? The service must have been good enough to make you keep coming back......

Might not this have been one cranky employee having one bad overstressed day, like we all do once in a while?

And to play devils advocate.....if you are indeed leaving collecting, couldn't this be seen as a cheap shot on your way out the door? Could or would you have overlooked this if you still needed Met's services? It's seems a tempest in a teapot.

Just asking, not looking to let anyone off the hook, necessarily.

Red

But Shield, just for the record, (you didn't answer this before), how were your dealings for the previous four years? The service must have been good enough to make you keep coming back......

Might not this have been one cranky employee having one bad overstressed day, like we all do once in a while?

And to play devils advocate.....if you are indeed leaving collecting, couldn't this be seen as a cheap shot on your way out the door? Could or would you have overlooked this if you still needed Met's services? It's seems a tempest in a teapot.

Just asking, not looking to let anyone off the hook, necessarily.

Red

My dealings were ok in the past four years with them. I gave an overall review of several dealers I had purchased from in the golden age forums, probably a bit before your time on these boards. I spent a pretty good chunk of change with them every year, and they often exhibited a disinterested attitude when I'd call up and ask about $300 to $600 dollar books. At the time, it was a necessary evil since they do get the books you want in, and I was trying to fill in a run. It's because of the years I bought from them and how I was treated that I posted this originally. If another dealer had done this to me, I'd have said the exact same thing. I don't know how one would call this a "cheap shot"; they were rude and didn't apologize, and Vince and I got into a cussing match on the phone. Had anyone from there simply called me back and apologized, none of this would've been posted. I really don't have an agenda here; take this for what it is. I still sometimes buy and sell, but I refuse to be disrespected when I place an order to buy funny books.

You see also, many people are "afraid" to speak out about their rudeness because they don't want to be "blacklisted" by the biggest dealer. I weighed the pro's and con's and evaluated my overall experience with them, and am merely telling you of my experience. Whether or not you decide to buy from them is completely up to you, and contrary to what Vince thinks, I'm NOT on a crusade to get everyone to stop shopping with Metropolis. This is America, and a board full of people who collect and enjoy comics, and the perfect forum in my opinion to discuss such things.

Don't you agree?

You are correct in assuming I did not see your posts in the Golden Age forum. And thanks for filling me in on the background. And yes it seems more than a little rude.

But that also goes to the issue that I brought up once before, and that is that I've noticed that there is (still) a general and subtle undercurrent of distain exhibited by some dealers towards their customers, as if we are more of an annoyance than a valued business client.

Not all dealers, obviously, but I did theorize before that I thought it had something to do with the nature of dealers who come from the collecting side and are not exactly endowed with people skills.

Red

Can you post the emails?

893naughty-thumb.gif

What? I wanted to see them because I am questioning the story. Stout made it sound like Metro lied to him, and if he's going to say that, I want to see some proof.

Can you post the emails?

893naughty-thumb.gif

What? I wanted to see them because I am questioning the story. Stout made it sound like Metro lied to him, and if he's going to say that, I want to see some proof.

As far as I'm concerned....posting private Emails on a public forum is 893naughty-thumb.gif

Can you post the emails?

893naughty-thumb.gif

As far as I'm concerned....posting private Emails on a public forum is 893naughty-thumb.gif

But it's ok to talk about private emails on a public forum and characterize the sender as a liar without showing any proof that your characterization is correct? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Makes perfect sense!

Can you post the emails?

893naughty-thumb.gif

But it's ok to talk about private emails on a public forum and characterize the sender as a liar without showing any proof that your characterization is correct? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Makes perfect sense!

If they are willing to send such emails, they should expect them to be exhibited publically! Perhaps they will keep this in mind when sending such emails in the future! thumbsup2.gif

I don't think abusive threatening emails deserve to be treated with discretion by the recipient. Throw 'em out there, I say.

It's the surest way to stop the madness! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I don't think abusive threatening emails deserve to be treated with discretion by the recipient. Throw 'em out there, I say.

The mob has spoken....

POST THOSE EMAILS!!!!

devil.gif

popcorn.gif

At one point or another since I have been collecting (which admittedly hasn't been as long as most of you) I have done business with just about every major dealer at least once, and I have gotten to know some of them pretty well. When you get to know some of these people its surprising what you will hear sometimes. The one thing I can say, is there are alot of very serious collectors out there who don't like Metropolis very much and I have heard more bad things about them than I have of any other dealer in the hobby.

Metropolis is very successful because their inventory (particularly their Golden age comics) is pretty much unmatched by any other dealer that I'm aware of, and their prices are usually reasonable. But I have to imagine that if most people knew some of the things Metropolis has done in the past, many people would probably no longer want to buy from them anymore. As a result, Metropolis seems to get VERY upset when someone has something negative to say about them on these boards. I'd be really curious to see exactly what some of those private messages from Vincent say. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif