• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book dealer...crappy attitude

153 posts in this topic

My affiliation is that I am a dealer also. Our business relationship would definitely change if you were posting my books on this forum with comments about how I graded it. To me that's not the right thing to do and our relationship would be affected.

I also think you should take this off the boards, and resolve it privately. The only time I have aired dirtly laundry in public, was due to outrage over people not wanting to ship to Canada, and that's only because I have an "agenda" of wanting people to ship to me. The many incidents I've had involving restored/over-graded books, and general conflicts that come with the hobby, are kept private. I seriously wish people could keep a lid on their problems/conflicts more often.

I run a business myself, and there is nothing that irritates me more than someone who runs their mouth about me, without even attempting to deal rationally. As Vince said, you're messing with his livelyhood, and that's the one thing I feel you should NEVER do, unless the person has done you a severe injustice. If you recieved bad customer service, let the punishment fit the crime, and don't deal with them again. There are 2 sides to everything, and it is disturbing how the collector in these situations is ALWAYS given the benefit of the doubt. For all we know, your tone could have been what prompted Vince to be rude. In a conflict situation, behaviour is reflected. If you contacted Vince in a calm manor, I'm sure he would have responded in kind, being that he's a businessman.

You obviously have a history of bad run-ins with metro, so why do you even bother in the first place?

When people read this thread and deciede you are behaving like a little child,running around with your secret lists and such,you should accept that this is how we percieve it. Not that we are affliates of Metro,shills or any such thing. You had a bad customer service interaction.You'd think you were robbed of your first born son,the way you are carrying on about it.If you choose to leave the field because one of the big boys in the field was mean to you,what can I say? You've told your tale,now wave bye-bye and exit gracefully.

I'm just presenting what happened as truthfully as possible, period. Bob, I don't know what your affiliation is with Metro, but the only "agenda" I have is not being mistreated when I purchase comics. Vince comes on here with market updates, wanted lists, con events/updates, radio show information, et al. If he's going to make his company very public, we're certainly more than allowed to post a thread questioning a grade or discussing how we were treated. People should read this and make their own decisions.

Sean, I would go back to my original post and suggest that you just let it go as Vincent already has. The amount of stress, anxiety and discomfort that you seem to be exhibiting for this transaction that must have happened at least 5 months prior (using the information that you supplied in this thread about selling your collection in Feb as my baseline) is definitely not healthy.

I appreciate where you are coming from and your desire to warn other collectors of your experiences but at some point I have to think that this just might be you and not Metro. I have had nothing but positive experiences, FFB has had nothing but positive experiences, Kryptonite just got his grail ASM 1 from Metro at a heavily discounted price that was packed securely and shipped promplty, Blazing is coming to bat for Metro - I see an overwhelming trend here . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To comment on your multitude of PMs from people saying "don't tell anyone but" regarding Metro's customer service I have to think that is exaggerated at best and a downright lie at worst. There is already a steady chorus of people here to attest to Metros business and professionalism. I would hope that the people who have sent you pms have the courage to stand by their suppossed allegations.

DAM

If he's going to make his company very public, we're certainly more than allowed to post a thread questioning a grade or discussing how we were treated. People should read this and make their own decisions.

How can you expect a dealer to react differently when you've complained about their grading on a public forum. That's not the place for it if you expect to continue to buy from that dealer, right?

If you have a problem with a grade, bring it up with the dealer directly. When you post a thread like that on the forums, you're hurting Metropolis' business. When you do that, you can't expect to be on good terms with the dealer afterwards. confused-smiley-013.gif

It's common sense to me, but I guess to some, it's not...

My affiliation is that I am a dealer also. Our business relationship would definitely change if you were posting my books on this forum with comments about how I graded it. To me that's not the right thing to do and our relationship would be affected.

Oh sure Bob, no one on here EVER posts a link to a major dealers book, especially those being sold on EBAY, asking others if they agree with the grading. You may feel that's not the right thing to do, and I appreciate that. I don't think it's wrong, given how "public" the dealer in question has decided to present himself.

I also think you should take this off the boards, and resolve it privately. The only time I have aired dirtly laundry in public, was due to outrage over people not wanting to ship to Canada, and that's only because I have an "agenda" of wanting people to ship to me. The many incidents I've had involving restored/over-graded books, and general conflicts that come with the hobby, are kept private. I seriously wish people could keep a lid on their problems/conflicts more often.

I run a business myself, and there is nothing that irritates me more than someone who runs their mouth about me, without even attempting to deal rationally. As Vince said, you're messing with his livelyhood, and that's the one thing I feel you should NEVER do, unless the person has done you a severe injustice. If you recieved bad customer service, let the punishment fit the crime, and don't deal with them again. There are 2 sides to everything, and it is disturbing how the collector in these situations is ALWAYS given the benefit of the doubt. For all we know, your tone could have been what prompted Vince to be rude. In a conflict situation, behaviour is reflected. If you contacted Vince in a calm manor, I'm sure he would have responded in kind, being that he's a businessman.

You obviously have a history of bad run-ins with metro, so why do you even bother in the first place?

If you don't like this thread, move on. Where did I not deal rationally? I was very calm and rational when I simply called to find out why I wasn't notified of a book that I paid for. I only became upset when Ed was positive I was notified, and only came short of calling me a liar. It's the principle of the matter. I only brought this back up BECAUSE Vincent was PM'ing me, asking me to not speak badly about his comic book company. Look, I don't buy/sell comics for a living, but I'm still a businessman as well. I always treat my clients with respect, and simply expect the same from those I do business with.

I have known Vincent at Metropolis for many years, and when we have conducted business, he has always been forthright and upfront. I have always found him to reasonable and fair, and I can not imagine him being discourtesous to any one who is respectful to him. Of course I respect anyone's right to express themselves in a proper manner, it just seems to me, as I have witnessed over the years, that many are envious of the position they have attained in the business, of course this may not be the case here, i am not suggesting it is. I am just saddened to see him so often crictized, of many instances I know personally, are slanderous.--joe serpico

When people read this thread and deciede you are behaving like a little child,running around with your secret lists and such,you should accept that this is how we percieve it. Not that we are affliates of Metro,shills or any such thing. You had a bad customer service interaction.You'd think you were robbed of your first born son,the way you are carrying on about it.If you choose to leave the field because one of the big boys in the field was mean to you,what can I say? You've told your tale,now wave bye-bye and exit gracefully.

I don't have secret lists. I have several PM's from people with the "me, too" being echoed. They do ask me not to post what they sent me publicly, and I will not do that just to appease your trolling. Nice try, though. You obvously have reading comprehension problems if you think I've "left the field" because a dealer was mean to me. Again, sold the run in February, and was just buying some spares to resell in April. Understand now, troll?

I have known Vincent at Metropolis for many years, and when we have conducted business, he has always been forthright and upfront. I have always found him to reasonable and fair, and I can not imagine him being discourtesous to any one who is respectful to him. Of course I respect anyone's right to express themselves in a proper manner, it just seems to me, as I have witnessed over the years, that many are envious of the position they have attained in the business, of course this may not be the case here, i am not suggesting it is. I am just saddened to see him so often crictized, of many instances I know personally, are slanderous.--joe serpico

shocked.gif

You got one sweet collection man. gossip.gif

Joe Serpico!!!!!!!!!! You have the best Batman collection ever!!!!!!!!!!!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Sell me your rejects! thumbsup2.gif

Joe Serpico!!!!!!!!!! You have the best Batman collection ever!!!!!!!!!!!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Sell me your rejects! thumbsup2.gif

Details? This sounds good. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Shield,

I always enjoy your posts, but I do feel that you've made a mountain out of a mole hill here.

I also don't think it's fair to use Vinny's participation in the boards as an excuse to air dirty laundry. The boards are much more balanced when dealers participate. Most of them are longtime fans and have a great deal to contribute. We should encourage their participation, not use it against them.

I'm just presenting what happened as truthfully as possible, period. Bob, I don't know what your affiliation is with Metro, but the only "agenda" I have is not being mistreated when I purchase comics. Vince comes on here with market updates, wanted lists, con events/updates, radio show information, et al. If he's going to make his company very public, we're certainly more than allowed to post a thread questioning a grade or discussing how we were treated. People should read this and make their own decisions.

Sean, I would go back to my original post and suggest that you just let it go as Vincent already has. The amount of stress, anxiety and discomfort that you seem to be exhibiting for this transaction that must have happened at least 5 months prior (using the information that you supplied in this thread about selling your collection in Feb as my baseline) is definitely not healthy.

I appreciate where you are coming from and your desire to warn other collectors of your experiences but at some point I have to think that this just might be you and not Metro. I have had nothing but positive experiences, FFB has had nothing but positive experiences, Kryptonite just got his grail ASM 1 from Metro at a heavily discounted price that was packed securely and shipped promplty, Blazing is coming to bat for Metro - I see an overwhelming trend here . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To comment on your multitude of PMs from people saying "don't tell anyone but" regarding Metro's customer service I have to think that is exaggerated at best and a downright lie at worst. There is already a steady chorus of people here to attest to Metros business and professionalism. I would hope that the people who have sent you pms have the courage to stand by their suppossed allegations.

DAM

I see an overwhelming trend as well - it's just not trending the way you might think. It's ok if you're affiliated with Metro and come to defend them; I'd expect nothing less.

This response is absolutely no surprise to me - I don't expect everyone on here to "jump ship" while they still have holes to fill in their run. I'm sure Met was more than courteous to many of you. There were times when they were nice to me as well. However, all I can talk about is my specific interaction with them, as the initial post in this thread detailed. If it worth it to you to defend their crankyness, then enjoy. I, however, will keep my dignity and not be bullied around.

Dam...this doesn't surprise me..I have learned from these "downright lies at worst" that you're doing some promotion work for Metro. Still have an unbiased opinion on Metro? makepoint.gif

You know what? I'm sure he's a great guy. Vince isn't the one who answered the phone that day; it was one of his employees. I just disagree with how he (not Steve) handled it, that's all. I'm not "in the business" so that's not the case here.

Shield,

I always enjoy your posts, but I do feel that you've made a mountain out of a mole hill here.

I also don't think it's fair to use Vinny's participation in the boards as an excuse to air dirty laundry. The boards are much more balanced when dealers participate. Most of them are longtime fans and have a great deal to contribute. We should encourage their participation, not use it against them.

Nearmint, sometimes in life you have to take a stand on certain things. This thread was 3 months old yesterday; I resurrected it due to Vinnie PM'ing me dropping F bombs. I'm sure it'll die again soon, and all will be forgotten. I'm not trying to stifle dealer participation either. I'm glad you enjoy my posts!

Shield,

Well said, Nearmint. I don't want to get in the middle of things and I don't have anything against Shield, but for the "crime" that has been described, I don't think that public castigation is warranted. If Steve apologized for Ed's rudeness on the phone (as it appears he did), then that should be sufficient as it shows that Metropolis took the issue seriously and dealt with it. If Shield's later communications with Vincent got heated, one has to wonder whether both sides might be partially to blame.

Not pointing fingers. Just think that this whole thing went way beyond where it needed to go.

Now let's talk about something nice, like

broccoli.jpg