• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your Overstreet Surprises...

280 posts in this topic

we already ignore you anyways. blush.gifgrin.giftongue.gif

Yep, I figured as much...

By the way, I had a major breakthrough in my CGC analysis and I've

determined that the distribution of high grade Silver Age Marvels

is trending in such a way that the last high grade books will be graded

by CGC on October 17th, in the year---awwww, you guys don't care what I think...

...I'm just talking to myself here.

Hey, if it makes you fell better, I use your census site 2-3 a week. I love looking at runs, so I can get a feel when I'm buying a book, what the census shows for that book and the surrounding issues.

Keep up the good work!!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

Hey, if it makes you fell better, I use your census site 2-3 a week. I love looking at runs, so I can get a feel when I'm buying a book, what the census shows for that book and the surrounding issues.

Keep up the good work!!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks... I was just kidding with the self-loathing posts...

Getting this thread somewhat back on track...

I was surprised that my market report was printed in its entirety (over 1/2 a page)

on pgs. 77-78, and I was also surprised to see a few OTHER market

reports mention the pre-Unity Valiant books in a positive light.

893applaud-thumb.gif

...all that's left is for me to figure out a way to get my ugly mug into the "Wanted Criminals" gallery.

stooges.gif

Glad to see they kept in the names of the CGC people (Steve, Scott, Gemma, Korey and Paul ) who donated to the Comics Charities and the Dam60 First Annual Forum philanthropy drive smile.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The CONCRETE REAL UPDATED address for Comics4Kids IS ACTUALLY:

Comics4Kids

8120 199th Avenue Court East

Bonney Lake, WA 98390

NOT the Sarasota address (I was still with CGC at press time and may have announced the updated address too late for printing)

It is current in all the Overstreet Comic Price Reviews now and Comic Book Marketplace (next time we're in is # 111) and at the www.comics4kids.org website

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that the whole OPG was actually a Doug Sulipa report - should we send our ads to him next time!! (JK, Doug - you are the BEST source of info!!)

Surprised to get it Monday the 19th smile.gif

o/w AWESOME JOB BOB and CO!!

589a8c5f39e3e_459484-c4klogo.gif.90e1a6564e53a7526696de605d18af66.gif

Here's one healthy price escalation I felt was deserved:

F.F. 31-40...up from $140 in NM last year to $250 this year. While I would still take issue with the grouping (as issues like # 31, 36, & 39 demand premiums over more common books like # 33 & 35), I think its a realistic price escalation...of nearly 80%.

I must shamefully admit I didn't run up to the LCS yesterday boo.gif, but are you saying that these went from $140 in NM to $250 in NM-? Using a ballpark figure of 9.4's selling for 80% more than 9.2's, this would equate to NM's going from $140 to $450, tripling in value. Seems that puts the guide somewhere between what would have been the normal raw prices (if they kept NM) and slabbed prices, making it useless for both.

In general, did OS simply take last year's 9.4 prices as this year's 9.2 prices, including the somewhat systematic bump up in value that would have occurred on the NM's (i.e.,. silver age books increase 10-15%)?

In general, did OS simply take last year's 9.4 prices as this year's 9.2 prices, including the somewhat systematic bump up in value that would have occurred on the NM's (i.e.,. silver age books increase 10-15%)?

This was my first impression as well, but upon further review I found they actually put some thought into their pricing., i.e. it wasn't an across the board conversion from 9.4 to 9.2 + standardized price increases.

For example, I collect 20 cent FFs and Thors...and while the majority of 20 cent FFs went from being $18 for 9.4s in the 2003 Edition to $20 for 9.2s in the 2004 OS, most 20 cent Thors actually stayed the same ($12 for both 9.4s and now 9.2s). To me, this is more realistic, since Thor is a much slower title in that era then FFs.

For example, I collect 20 cent FFs and Thors...and while the majority of 20 cent FFs went from being $18 for 9.4s in the 2003 Edition to $20 for 9.2s in the 2004 OS, most 20 cent Thors actually stayed the same ($12 for both 9.4s and now 9.2s). To me, this is more realistic, since Thor is a much slower title in that era then FFs.

Hmmm...they didn't really stay the same though, since NM Thors would now be valued at approximately $21 (assuming 9.4's are worth 80% more than 9.2's), and the FF's basically doubled in NM. Are all the dealers that sell raw NM's (Superworld, blazingbob, etc.,.) now going to double their asking prices for NM copies since last year's 9.4 prices are this year's 9.2 prices?? 893frustrated.gif

I predict chaos!! foreheadslap.gif

Hmmm...they didn't really stay the same though, since NM Thors would now be valued at approximately $21 (assuming 9.4's are worth 80% more than 9.2's), and the FF's basically doubled in NM. Are all the dealers that sell raw NM's (Superworld, blazingbob, etc.,.) now going to double their asking prices for NM copies since last year's 9.4 prices are this year's 9.2 prices?? 893frustrated.gif

I predict chaos!! foreheadslap.gif

See, I don't think so. I remember checking Bob's sight last year, and I noticed most of his prices (which, granted, were already at high-end multiples) stood pat. Afterall, I think the few months after the OS comes out is a "spring cleaning" time for dealers as they head into their summer show season. Unless its a real hot item, those books that have been languishing for the past year in their boxes now seem more attractive to a potential buyer if they reflect the previous year's Guide prices.

For me, since 9.2s have been selling close to 2003 9.4 prices anyway, I don't think its such a exponential leap. Let's face it, you still need to find the right buyer for 9.4s, and certified or not, there is enough volatility at that grade tier and beyond that assigning standard multiples is an effort in futility.

I think the Guide saw the wisdom in that, and while many complain that this edition benefits only the dealers, I think its the most realistic effort to reflect Market prices that I have seen from OS in years.

Now, Gemstone, about that royalty check you guys promised me...

...I think its the most realistic effort to reflect Market prices that I have seen from OS in years.

Yeah, but which market - raw or slabbed? confused-smiley-013.gif

Intentional or not, OS just doubled NM price guide values across the board (unless there are books that are actually listed at less in 9.2 this year than at 9.4 last year). Oh well, time to pick up the guide and re-price my inventory accordingly! grin.gif

Yeah, but which market - raw or slabbed?

I agree, I think some seller's, even those with impeccable reputations for strict grading (like you, for example), will not get a premium over 2004 9.2 Guide for their raw 9.4s on eBay. Perhaps a 20-40% over Guide price realization for true 9.4s is not unrealistic.

However, certified 9.4s are a different matter entirely...with much larger fluctuations in price. Again, this is why I think OS steered clear of 9.4 and above pricing...its just too volatile.

Yeah...I'm thinking I'll just look at the 9.2 prices as the "NM" price for raw material. This should only affect cheaper books, 'cause if it's that nice/valuable, it'll end up slabbed which means the price will default to the GPA and/or market prices.

Unfortunately, I'm currently waiting on two collectors to come up with lists/prices for some books I'm buying, and I just wonder how they're going to price their raw NM's?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif