• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Midnight showing of Captain America - The First Avenger

98 posts in this topic

Spoilers...............

I just got back from the movie today and I'd give it 3 1/2 stars. It was far more true to the original Captain America Origin then any of the recent movies. I really liked bringing the Howling Comandos into the silver screen, but thought Bucky as Sgt really was unnnessary , but since the movies decided to use the Ultimate Nick Fury I guess the original was impossible. Personally I think the Red Skull was perfect, much better then any of the other encarnations I've seen, and I'm sure he will be back. I was disappointed in the lack of more use by the cosmic cube, it would have made a better final battle Cap vs the Skull.

Also I really liked the tie in to the present day get way to get him back but doesn't fit the Hulk Easter egg.

Just got back + definitely enjoyed it. The Red Skull looked great, but wasn't a complex + interesting villain. And yes, the battle scenes with Cap could have been more epic. Tommy Lee Jones was great + the depiction of the howlers was close to their comic counterparts. Origin leading up to the transformation was handled perfectly + the "scrawny" Steve Rogers was funny as hell. I must say I wasn't expecting Iron Man levels of excellence, just a good, solid movie. And that's what we got, IMHO. I think Cap must come into his own in the Avengers flick. He's new + rusty here + not supposed to be the embodiment of heroic ideals and poise.

I just got back from seeing the midnight showing of Captain America, and was very disappointed. After 20 years of waiting, I was not delivered the quality product that I envisioned. I do not think any aspect of the movie was done particularly well. I'd give it a 4/10.

Don't expect much from this one.

You seem to have become a bit of a snob when it comes to comic movies recently. :baiting:

I watch all Marvel movies at a wine and cheese party.

Elitist

Just got back + definitely enjoyed it. The Red Skull looked great, but wasn't a complex + interesting villain. And yes, the battle scenes with Cap could have been more epic. Tommy Lee Jones was great + the depiction of the howlers was close to their comic counterparts. Origin leading up to the transformation was handled perfectly + the "scrawny" Steve Rogers was funny as hell. I must say I wasn't expecting Iron Man levels of excellence, just a good, solid movie. And that's what we got, IMHO. I think Cap must come into his own in the Avengers flick. He's new + rusty here + not supposed to be the embodiment of heroic ideals and poise.

One thing to note is we should not compare any movie to Iron Man, personally Robert Downey Jr was perfect casting because of his "history". That is what made the movie hm

From what's been described here, I should enjoy the film. :)

It doesn't open in the UK until next Thursday.

It was yet another solid Marvel movie. It wasn't epic by any stretch of the imagination, but it was very good.

The one complaint I have about it is the fact that they really didn't show off Cap's abilities. I was expecting to see some elite fighting moves, not unlike what we saw with Tim Roth in the last Hulk movie. What we got was pretty lame on the superhero scale. Cap was gallant, but not a superhero.

It was a very good movie, but falls just short of the other Marvel movies from the last 2 or 3 years.

I'm confused as to why it didn't open in Europe first since that's where most of the movie is set. I mean it was a European who invented the super soldier serum as well - just doesn't seem fair to me.

But where the hell was Indiana Jones? Surely he should have been the one to fight the Nazi's in order to get a hold of the Cosmic Cube only to have it taken away like every other artifact.

Aliens snatched him.

+1...

Liked the nod to the original Human Torch; wondering if it was the actual android? hm

Spoilers...............

I was disappointed in the lack of more use by the cosmic cube, it would have made a better final battle Cap vs the Skull.

I think they were playing it the way they did with Belloq and the Nazis in Raiders of the Lost Ark. They were both objects mere mortals could not fully comprehend and should therefore not handle.

Spoiler

The old man that Red Skull stole the Cube from even said he had never looked upon the Cube as it could be dangerous for a human to do so. Ge figured out how to harness it's energy but not its full capabilities. That's how it wound up playing out in the end. It wound up ending up like most of the other Indiana Jones films. Bad gets taken down by Relic's power he doesn't completely understand and relic is lost after the battle.

I'm confused as to why it didn't open in Europe first since that's where most of the movie is set. I mean it was a European who invented the super soldier serum as well - just doesn't seem fair to me.

You only get one big 3D premiere each week, and Cars 2 is scheduled this week at Cineworld, where I go. Maybe as simple as that. Not surprisingly, they've also retained Harry Potter 3D from last week, loads of showings of that too.

Understandable why they'll concentrate on milking these two releases first and delay Captain America in the process.

Spoilers...............

I was disappointed in the lack of more use by the cosmic cube, it would have made a better final battle Cap vs the Skull.

I think they were playing it the way they did with Belloq and the Nazis in Raiders of the Lost Ark. They were both objects mere mortals could not fully comprehend and should therefore not handle.

Spoiler

The old man that Red Skull stole the Cube from even said he had never looked upon the Cube as it could be dangerous for a human to do so. Ge figured out how to harness it's energy but not its full capabilities. That's how it wound up playing out in the end. It wound up ending up like most of the other Indiana Jones films. Bad gets taken down by Relic's power he doesn't completely understand and relic is lost after the battle.

The Red Skull did mention in the beginning about Hitler wasting time digging for relics in the desert.

I saw it today and really enjoyed it. Overall I felt it was a very solid movie with a few easter egss thrown in.

Spoiler sort of. highlight below

I thought it was cool seeing the original Human Torch on display in the tube at the 1943 fair.

Great movie!

Enjoyed it even more than Thor and X-Men FC. Far surpassed my expectations. Well directed, well cast and well acted. Nice feel of the 1940s. Chris Evans pulled it off! He was humble and he throws his shield like a master. Hayley Atwell was a stunning Peggy Carter. Loved seeing Dum Dum Dugan and the Stan cameo. Awesome buildup for the Avengers movie next year.

And the Spidey trailer looked good too! Next year's movies are gonna rock!

5 stars! Joe Bob says check it out! (thumbs u

Originally Posted By: Mister_Comics

In case you haven't heard... there will be a Captain America 2. 2013.

Poster: ngh81

Really?

Do you have more info on this or a link you could post?

I can say Steven McFeely and Christopher Markus are working on the -script for the next one. Sorry no can do a link.

I just got back from seeing the midnight showing of Captain America, and was very disappointed. After 20 years of waiting, I was not delivered the quality product that I envisioned. I do not think any aspect of the movie was done particularly well. I'd give it a 4/10.

Don't expect much from this one.

Could you go into more detail? You're the third person (out of about 20) that I've talked to who didn't like it, but wouldn't give me a reason why. I'm not even being a jerk about it, I really just want to know why.

The movie was great. Def better the Green Lantern. It had more heart, and Evans did a great job as Cap. Tommy Lee Jones was also great, as was Hugo Weaving. The Howling Commandos looked like their comic book counterparts, and the plot was easy to follow, without too many snags.

Everything seemed generic. Red Skull and Hydra looked goofy. What was with the generic Hydra laser guns? Red Skull should have looked like Two-Face from the Dark Knight, not a bright red tomato. The love story was the worst because it was purely there just for the sake of having it. It did nothing for the overall story or character development at all. All of the fighting sequences were just as goofy with overzealous wire-work and punching sounds. In all of the NYC sequences, it looks very much like it was filmed in studio back-lot. Considering that the movie was centralized in WWII, why did it not look like Band of Brothers? Why not emulate the best?

The general plot line of having it set in WWII and having the Red Skull as the villain, I thought was great. Even the cast I thought did a good job. The acting was good, in my opinion. I just did not like the way the movie was executed more on a technical standpoint than anything else as the actors and the plot were good, in my opinion.

Why don't you just watch more Band of Brothers if that's what you like?