• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Midnight showing of Captain America - The First Avenger

98 posts in this topic

A few people have accused the film of being camp. I assume that the term means something different in the US than it does in the UK.

No, it means the same thing. Those people just don't know what camp is.

lol

I just got back from seeing the midnight showing of Captain America, and was very disappointed. After 20 years of waiting, I was not delivered the quality product that I envisioned. I do not think any aspect of the movie was done particularly well. I'd give it a 4/10.

Don't expect much from this one.

lol, most say that CA will be as big as Spider-man and Batman. I don't think so. Now that this review came on the boards I wont waste my time seeing it.

If you go by the reviews on the boards that is pretty dumb of you.

Use the search function for some of the boardies on here that first started threads on Iron Man and the Dark Knight that said the movie(s) were disappointing.

Marvel Studios has done a really good job with these movies making then fun with their continuity and fan teaser props, unlike DC..

It is pretty obvious from all the reviews all over this movie is a solid hit, and is being hailed as another Marvel Studio's hit. (thumbs u

Sorry, but for anyone to think a Band of Brother's feel to the CA movie should have been done then I find is a little off. I would rather leave the movie theater happy and not depressed as most WWII movies are. :baiting:.

Heck maybe if that POS Michael Bay would have directed this film he would have left out Captain America's shield like he did for Megatron's laser canon on his arm. :idea:

Gonna go tomorrow :banana:

Thought it was rather light and entertaining. Even my wife was willing to go to see it, because it didn't have the usual puss and gore that seem to be standard in todays films. I like the fact that you could take a kid to see it, or in my case a wife. My only complaint is that it didn't make Cap seem very "super". All-in-all, a decent summer flick.

Just got back from seeing it this afternoon.

I enjoyed the movie, I think it is a solid film and a worthy effort.

7/10

I liked it a little more than Thor, I liked Xmen First class a little more.

I saw it Sunday and really enjoyed it. I thought it moved well, and was easy to follow. Sure there were some areas to improve on but all in all, Marvel delivered the goods this year!

Just got back from the movie with the wife and kids. Good, solid movie... my wife loved it and thought it was good fun. I agree with others that there are a few weak spots, but overall the movie did move well and it was good entertainment (I'm a sucker for WWII era movies).

(thumbs u

Just got back from the movie. I was satisfied but I'll be honest I was expecting more. I guess I fell into "It needs to be as good as Iron Man". I really wanted to be blown away. Don't get me wrong... I did like it but I was expecting more. More development of the Howling Commandos and I was hoping for a more climatic final battle between Cap and the Red Skull.... infact all the battles could have been a bit more epic.

Visually the characters all looked super sweet though and I still very much dig the costume.

Overall I rank em:

1. Xmen FC

2. Thor

3. Captain America

4. Green Lantern

That being said the after credits footage gave me goosebumps!!

Avengers Assemble!

I agree with everything you said about the movie. Spot on. Cept' the after credits footage, I waited 5 minutes for that?

Quick review from a long-time (since late 1970s) Cap fan. I would give it a 7 out of 10. And this is after seeing it twice and a sufficient "cooling off" period so I try to give the most objective observations. PS, I measure all superhero movies against the benchmark superhero movie, which IMO is Superman The Movie.

1. Overall, a good but not great movie. The first half, leading up to the USO scene in Italy, was flawless. It was the second half that was relatively unimaginative and bland that diluted perfection to a good movie.

2. Acting -- surprisingly solid. Chris Evans surprised and convinced me, while Tommy Lee Jones, Stanley Tucci, Hugo Weaving and Toby Jones were great supporting actors -- especially Tucci.

3. FX -- the right amount. Not overdone at all. The movie felt human and not contrived, except towards the end when they were on the B-2 bomber.

4. Direction -- extremely good. Director got the most out of the actors and kept the flow moving well. He did a great job convincing the viewers we were in the 1940s (credit to set design producers here also).

5. -script -- this is what compromised the movie and kept it from greatness. The first half of the movie -- for all intents and purposes is the Simon&Kirby-as-modified-by-Lee-Kirby-and-further-modified-by-Byrne origin. So the writers earn their keep here by what they do once the movie shifts to Italy, November 1943. From this point to the end, it was a very basic -script without anything to really engage the viewer to think and believe. Bucky's apparent death was rather sudden and early (he falls off a train, WTF?), without the build-up to Bucky's death that was in the Lee-Kirby mid-60s version. The movie could have ended with the painful climax that was the apparent death of Bucky when Cap and Bucky tried to disarm the drone buzz-bomb leaving Baron Zemo's castle. What a wasted opportunity not captured in the film.

Watched it today at the Movie Tavern......LOVED it. It is on my "A" list as a prime example of what a comic movie CAN be. My only complaint was also with the Bucky thing, but as a realist, I know there wasn't enough time for more. The pacing was very smooth, Red Skull far exceeded my expectations (which were high), and the Cosmic Cube FX were perfect. Sharon Carter was HOT and I hope they figure something out for her. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Watched it today at the Movie Tavern......LOVED it. It is on my "A" list as a prime example of what a comic movie CAN be. My only complaint was also with the Bucky thing, but as a realist, I know there wasn't enough time for more. The pacing was very smooth, Red Skull far exceeded my expectations (which were high), and the Cosmic Cube FX were perfect. Sharon Carter was HOT and I hope they figure something out for her. GOD BLESS...

Was Sharon Carter in it? Or did you mean Peggy.

....maybe I missed something....I thought I saw an Agent Carter, but I worked last night and only had a couple hours sleep. GOD BLESS...

....maybe I missed something....I thought I saw an Agent Carter, but I worked last night and only had a couple hours sleep. GOD BLESS...

It's Peggy Carter. Sharon Carter is her niece (in the comics at least).

I really enjoyed the movie. I've seen it twice now and as others have reported...it's not a perfect movie. I still think Iron Man holds the bar very high to meet.

But, this was a very enjoyable movie that kept me entertained the entire time. As an fan of CAP for years I love how they have the story with how he comes into the modern day....the Red Skull was perfect and the way all this leads to the Avengers is just awesome. I'm one happy comic fan.

I plan on seeing it one last time in the theatre and then will wait for bluray.

I give it a solid B+

Quick review from a long-time (since late 1970s) Cap fan. I would give it a 7 out of 10. And this is after seeing it twice and a sufficient "cooling off" period so I try to give the most objective observations. PS, I measure all superhero movies against the benchmark superhero movie, which IMO is Superman The Movie.

1. Overall, a good but not great movie. The first half, leading up to the USO scene in Italy, was flawless. It was the second half that was relatively unimaginative and bland that diluted perfection to a good movie.

2. Acting -- surprisingly solid. Chris Evans surprised and convinced me, while Tommy Lee Jones, Stanley Tucci, Hugo Weaving and Toby Jones were great supporting actors -- especially Tucci.

3. FX -- the right amount. Not overdone at all. The movie felt human and not contrived, except towards the end when they were on the B-2 bomber.

4. Direction -- extremely good. Director got the most out of the actors and kept the flow moving well. He did a great job convincing the viewers we were in the 1940s (credit to set design producers here also).

5. -script -- this is what compromised the movie and kept it from greatness. The first half of the movie -- for all intents and purposes is the Simon&Kirby-as-modified-by-Lee-Kirby-and-further-modified-by-Byrne origin. So the writers earn their keep here by what they do once the movie shifts to Italy, November 1943. From this point to the end, it was a very basic -script without anything to really engage the viewer to think and believe. Bucky's apparent death was rather sudden and early (he falls off a train, WTF?), without the build-up to Bucky's death that was in the Lee-Kirby mid-60s version. The movie could have ended with the painful climax that was the apparent death of Bucky when Cap and Bucky tried to disarm the drone buzz-bomb leaving Baron Zemo's castle. What a wasted opportunity not captured in the film.

The Skull's bomber ending scene could have been done better, and provided some "Oomph" which is the only thing that was really missing in the film. What I would have done:

Bucky is still alive, and didnt fall off the train, instead he is a hostage aboard the Skull's plane which Cap gets aboard. Cap finds Bucky and frees him, and the 2 of them work out a plan to take on the Skull that involves setting the explosives on the plane to go off early, thereby averting the threat. The skull discovers the 2 and a climactic fight ensues. Using the cosmic cube the Skull Blasts Cap with a force that knocks him through the wall of the plane. Bucky attempts to save Cap but is grabbed by the Skull at the last moment preventing this. As Cap falls to the ice below he looks up and sees Bucky grappling with the Skull...they fade from his sight and then the plane explodes!

Result? Cap falls into the Ice, is still frozen, Bucky is still "dead" as is the Red Skull. The difference is this is more dramatic and Bucky's "death" isn't so empty and meaningless.