• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you leave a neutral for overcharging on shipping?

65 posts in this topic

Need opinions on this. Ebay auction, $15 shipping charge but when I got the package I see that he only paid $6.50. My first instinct was to leave a neutral. Too harsh? Clear case of shipping profiteering.

Yes, I knew the shipping charge would be $15 before I bid. I don't have a problem with the $15 charge if it actually cost him close to $15 to ship it. It didn't, it cost him less than half of that.

Need opinions on this. Ebay auction, $15 shipping charge but when I got the package I see that he only paid $6.50. My first instinct was to leave a neutral. Too harsh? Clear case of shipping profiteering.

Yes, I knew the shipping charge would be $15 before I bid. I don't have a problem with the $15 charge if it actually cost him close to $15 to ship it. It didn't, it cost him less than half of that.

Did he charge you $15 or $6.50 through eBay's invoice system?

These new eBay fees are going to create all kinds of new angles for people to try and recoup their money.

I'd email him first and then leave feedback according to his reply.

I'd be ok with up to a few-$5 overcharging if there was some merit such as good packaging materials, etc. but $10 is a lot of dough.

These new eBay fees are going to create all kinds of new angles for people to try and recoup their money.

I'd be ok with up to a few-$5 overcharging if there was some merit such as good packaging materials, etc. but $10 is a lot of dough.

$15 on the invoice. Email him for what reason? He knew what he was charging for shipping and how much it would cost him.

Don't leave him a neutral. Leave him a positive but make a note of the overcharging, and also give him 2-4 stars in the Ratings section. I'd try to contact him first though.

Problem with that is that no one really reads the actual feedback once it's off the first page and it falls off the first page pretty quickly. I'd give him 1 star in the ratings section but again, I don't know how much attention people pay to that and it certainly isn't very detailed.

The overcharging on shipping is a traditional way to get around eBay's final value fee, if not the slice PayPal takes. I would agree that you could mention the disparity in feedback, though you knew the charge beforehand-- and certainly 2 stars for the shipping portion of the vendor report card.

That extra expense was the "Handling" part of S/H! (uphill through the snow, both ways, etc. lol )

$15 on the invoice. Email him for what reason? He knew what he was charging for shipping and how much it would cost him.

To be honest, before I joined these boards I was trained by all those K-tel commercials in the 70's and 80's to simply accept an extra fee for handling without question. Some people just don't see it the way you (or I now) might.

I'd just send an email to telegraph my intentions and open communication. That gives him ample opportunity to make things right in case there was some misunderstanding on his end.

If he ends up being reasonable, he's learned a lesson. If he's a dooshnozzle, you have your answer on how to handle it.

Communication is a win, either way.

As a child of the 70's trained by those K-tel commercials, I have to agree w/Roy. Communication FTW.

"Is that Freedom Rock, man?" "Well, turn it up!"

To be honest, before I joined these boards I was trained by all those K-tel commercials in the 70's and 80's to simply accept an extra fee for handling without question. Some people just don't see it the way you (or I now) might.

I'd just send an email to telegraph my intentions and open communication. That gives him ample opportunity to make things right in case there was some misunderstanding on his end.

If he ends up being reasonable, he's learned a lesson. If he's a dooshnozzle, you have your answer on how to handle it.

Certainly the most reasonable route to go. I'm just not sure I have the patience to deal with a dooshnozzle response (nice word BTW). Merits some thought either way though.

Certainly the most reasonable route to go. I'm just not sure I have the patience to deal with a dooshnozzle response (nice word BTW). Merits some thought either way though.

"With great power comes great responsibility."

:baiting:

Sometimes the easiest thing to do is fire a grenade. It's actually a lot more rewarding if you ask them if they really want it thrown at them first.

lol

I think Sal coined "dooshnozzle" first.

hm

Positive with a note about the shipping overcharge.

You did it to yourself by playing the eBay game.

Everyone gets nailed at least once with a shipping overcharge. Don't hate the playa...

Everyone gets nailed at least once with a shipping overcharge. Don't hate the playa...

Roy mentioned it a moment ago, but you do realize Ebay charges fees on any shipping charge paid, right? Not 57% above the actual cost, but they are now taking a cut of even that charge to "protect buyers from overcharging."

So how does a seller post on their listings the need to charge over the shipping amount to cover this cost without it sounding like overcharging to cover the Ebay overcharging?

Be blunt and ask for a partial refund on the shipping overcharge.

Leave feedback based on his response.

I'd leave a positive, just make a note of over-shipping and deduct a couple stars from shipping category.

I had one seller that charged me 15 dollars shipping for one item. I assumed it would come well-packaged, in a box, via the priority service.But no, It was shipped media mail in a bubble mailer. The cost was 3.60 or something. I was livid. He justified it by naming all these other ridiculous external factors. I still gave him a positive; I just noted the over-charge. It was clear he was attempting to profit from the shipping.

Roy mentioned it a moment ago, but you do realize Ebay charges fees on any shipping charge paid, right? Not 57% above the actual cost, but they are now taking a cut of even that charge to "protect buyers from overcharging."

So how does a seller post on their listings the need to charge over the shipping amount to cover this cost without it sounding like overcharging to cover the Ebay overcharging?

C'mon now, seriously? You do realize that you're talking about a 30-50 CENT charge and he overcharged by $8+?

What is the cost of a large flat rate priority box? $15

Medium flat rate priority box? $11

You must live close by.

Does he also sell statues or other non-slabs?

If so, that should give you some insight into his shipping prices...

Send him an email or message first noting the difference in the price you paid and the actual cost for shipping. If he's into keeping decent feedback, he should give you some credit.

Fees to list, final value fees including a fee on your shipping cost, and then there's the paypal fee on top of that. FeeBay is such an appropriate name.