• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was Iron Man 55 really Thanos true first appearance?

259 posts in this topic

"Actually, you are correct. 30 years ago, it wasn't clear which one was more important. When the X-men became very hot, people started going after Wolverine's first appearance. About half of collectors went after 180 and the other half 181. It took years to sort out until 181 was clearly more sought after. But in 1978-83, it was a source of much debate. "

Helpful post. I was young at the time but I seem to remember overhearing debates on this at my LCS. It seems that the term "first appearance" is not necessarily the only deciding factor. The deciding factor is what book people want most. These are definitely fun debates and I think they add to the hobby.

That's a great point. Hulk #181's cover surely has a lot to do with the decision people made over the years.

(thumbs u

What about darkseid? Seems people only care about Jimmy Olsen 134, despite it being only one panel.
+1

Darkseid's face on a small TV screen. That's it. (shrug) Never been too bothered about owning the book.

In that perspective, Iron Man 55 is a much superior debut.

What about Firestar? Her first appearance was in a cartoon! CGC refuses to grade my VHS tape. (shrug):insane:

I'm pretty sure PGX will slab that. (thumbs u

doh! Of course! (Hope I get my actual copy back though.)

*rewinds tape and carefully packages it for shipping*

What about Firestar? Her first appearance was in a cartoon! CGC refuses to grade my VHS tape. (shrug):insane:

I'm pretty sure PGX will slab that. (thumbs u

doh! Of course! (Hope I get my actual copy back though.)

*rewinds tape and carefully packages it for shipping*

I hope you have better luck than I had with getting SS Jenna Jameson Flashpoint.

do-record-vhs-player-dvd_-800x800.jpg

It's always an interesting discussion.

Personally, I think the first appearance of a given character is the first time it appears anywhere. A panel, a splash page, a cover, a full story, you name it.

I simply belive that is deeply wrong to name, for example, Hulk 181 the first appearance of Wolverine when he clearly appeared and named in Hulk 180, even if it's only a panel

Personally, I think the first appearance of a given character is the first time it appears anywhere. A panel, a splash page, a cover, a full story, you name it.

I simply belive that is deeply wrong to name, for example, Hulk 181 the first appearance of Wolverine when he clearly appeared and named in Hulk 180, even if it's only a panel

Agreed! An appearance is an appearance whether it be brief or full. Hulk 180 should be the book of choice for Wolverine fans,clearly the 1st app. of wolvie.

Agreed! An appearance is an appearance whether it be brief or full. Hulk 180 should be the book of choice for Wolverine fans,clearly the 1st app. of wolvie.

Cool, you want to sell me your Hulk 181 at a big discount? :baiting:

A promotional ad for the upcoming issue?

Cool, you want to sell me your Hulk 181 at a big discount? :baiting:

I did'nt say I was crazy. :eyeroll:

Hulk 180 should be the book of choice for Wolverine fans,clearly the 1st app. of wolvie.

If it's mandatory, then how is it a choice? Is your address 600 Pennsylvania Avenue?

HitlerSpeech.jpg

Mods notified.

A promotional ad for the upcoming issue?

Or a house ad for a completely different comic?

Then you should be ecstatic, since you call sell off any Hulk 181 you have and buy multiple issues of Hulk 180 - I never understood why you people would be so angry and wanting to change the status quo - you should be happy that this "real first appearance" is so devalued.

Then you should be ecstatic, since you call sell off any Hulk 181 you have and buy multiple issues of Hulk 180 - I never understood why you people would be so angry and wanting to change the status quo - you should be happy that this "real first appearance" is so devalued.

I agree with the 1st appearance camp. Even a 1 panel cameo (like darkseid) that is part of a storyline should be considered a literal 1st appearance, since that's exactly what it is. That being said, I don't think it should merit a premium if it offers minuscule exposure or insight into the character-- the fans/buyers agree with their wallets.

That's why 181 is worth more, and Iron Man 55 as well.

What about gambit? He appears in x-men annual 14 similar to thanos in page count, but people only think of xmen 266 as his first.

X-Men Ann #14 as far as I'm concerned. OSPG states that as well. Over time it may catch on.

What about Web of Spider-Man #18? True 1st (veeeery brief) app of Brock/Venom? Granted it's just Brock/Venom's arm shoving Peter onto the train tracks, but the 1st none the less.

Gambit's first app in XMen Annual #14 is an accident of scheduling, and nothing more. Gambit appears in the background, is not part of the story in any meaningful way, and really could have been excised, and nothing would have been changed.